A66 Darlington by pass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

A66 Darlington by pass

Post by Glenn A »

All the talk of dualling the A66 should surely include the Darlington by pass. This by pass seems to be anomaly with a D2M on one side and D2 all the way to South Bank, and was done on the cheap in the eighties and is now too congested. Also replacing the short section of S2 between the A66(M) and the Darlington by pass should be part of any dualling programme as this has houses and businesses on either side.
KeithW

Re: A66 Darlington by pass

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 All the talk of dualling the A66 should surely include the Darlington by pass. This by pass seems to be anomaly with a D2M on one side and D2 all the way to South Bank, and was done on the cheap in the eighties and is now too congested. Also replacing the short section of S2 between the A66(M) and the Darlington by pass should be part of any dualling programme as this has houses and businesses on either side.
Some of us having been saying this for years :)

However a bigger problem is the A167 to pick up the A1(M) north of Darlington which is an entirely unsuitable route for the task.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

KeithW wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 13:18
Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 All the talk of dualling the A66 should surely include the Darlington by pass. This by pass seems to be anomaly with a D2M on one side and D2 all the way to South Bank, and was done on the cheap in the eighties and is now too congested. Also replacing the short section of S2 between the A66(M) and the Darlington by pass should be part of any dualling programme as this has houses and businesses on either side.
Some of us having been saying this for years :)

However a bigger problem is the A167 to pick up the A1(M) north of Darlington which is an entirely unsuitable route for the task.
The A167 should be dualled from the junction with the A1550 to the A1(M) as this is a busy road which also serves Newton Aycliffe.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 Also replacing the short section of S2 between the A66(M) and the Darlington by pass should be part of any dualling programme as this has houses and businesses on either side.
I've always believed the same. If they do ever dual the Darlo the ideal solution IMHO would be for it to branch off before the end of the A66(M) and swing south to cross the Tees south west of the existing bridge, which I believe is the original great north road one, and then head straight through the where the Evans Halshaw car dealership is and clip the top side of the golf course with a GSJ for the A167. This would of of course mean it would have to be an extension of the A66(M), and ideally it would also include GSJ'ing of the other roundabouts so might as well make the whole lot the A66(M) all there way to Sadberge ;-)
IanRB

Post by IanRB »

Whatever happened to the A66 to A68 link road, the one which currently exists as the B6279 between the A66 & Albert Hill, followed by a gap through the middle of the town and then a bit of road from the Faverdale Industrial Estate to the A68? Or did I just imagine such a plan?
Herned

Post by Herned »

Never really paid any attention to the A66(m) before, but it's a bit weird how it just ends in a field! The roundabout doesn't seem future-proofed for any extension, so was there any bigger plan?
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Achmelvic wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 13:03If they do ever dual the Darlo the ideal solution IMHO would be for it to branch off before the end of the A66(M) and swing south to cross the Tees south west of the existing bridge, which I believe is the original great north road one, and then head straight through the where the Evans Halshaw car dealership is and clip the top side of the golf course with a GSJ for the A167. This would of of course mean it would have to be an extension of the A66(M), and ideally it would also include GSJ'ing of the other roundabouts so might as well make the whole lot the A66(M) all there way to Sadberge ;-)

That makes the most sense - the rest of the bypass could be upgraded to D2 quite easily, but the first stretch by the Tees would be the most difficult. It would also make more sense to take the A66(M) up to the A167 junction - wherever that is.

It is an anomaly, considering that ultimately the A66 should be dual from Boro to the M6 - and this should be one of the more obvious stretches. Although it does make you think that what's been put in place at Scotch Corner is a bit messy.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

IanRB wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 17:28 Whatever happened to the A66 to A68 link road, the one which currently exists as the B6279 between the A66 & Albert Hill, followed by a gap through the middle of the town and then a bit of road from the Faverdale Industrial Estate to the A68? Or did I just imagine such a plan?
I dont recall any plan for it but the B6279 running in from the west ends on the A68 (Darlington Ring Road) as it has for many years. In recent years they added the eastern section from the Ring Road (A167) to the A66 bypass. This looks unfinished as there is clear provision for the road to continue east from the bypass to the A67 and Durham Tees Valley Airport.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.53130 ... authuser=0

The cynic in me suspects that its completion will happen when Peel manage to close the airport and turn it into a new town.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Herned wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 20:16 Never really paid any attention to the A66(m) before, but it's a bit weird how it just ends in a field! The roundabout doesn't seem future-proofed for any extension, so was there any bigger plan?
I doubt it, the A66(M) basically ended up on the line of the old A1 into Darlington at Blackwell Bridge. For many years you had to follow the old A1 (Grange Road) into Darlington town centre before picking up the then A67 to Great Burdon, Stockton, Thornaby and Middlesbrough. From the end of the A66(M) what happened was the responsibility of the County Council.
jackal

Post by jackal »

I've not heard of any proposal to dual the existing bypass. Presumably the planned Darlington Northern Link Road will provide some relief.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-42493101
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

IanRB wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 17:28 Whatever happened to the A66 to A68 link road, the one which currently exists as the B6279 between the A66 & Albert Hill, followed by a gap through the middle of the town and then a bit of road from the Faverdale Industrial Estate to the A68? Or did I just imagine such a plan?
There's a thread for it, Darlington Eastern Link Road, albeit from a while ago with the last post being from yours truly 6 years ago! :wink:

As far as I know it's died a death as not seen much sign of it since and the website I linked to in 2012 no longer exists. It seems to have been overtaken by the 'Darlington North Link Road' which is discussed on the Connectin Tees Valley thread.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jackal wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 I've not heard of any proposal to dual the existing bypass. Presumably the planned Darlington Northern Link Road will provide some relief.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-42493101
There may have been no formal proposals but it has certainly been a recurring topic in local politics. The trouble is of course those who most want are in the local authorities of Stockton, Middesbrough and Redcar but to HE its a minor issue.

The Darlington Northern Link is a major improvement for those heading north but will not do anything for those heading for the A1(M) southbound or the A66 to the west. The A66 Darlington bypass runs through open country so dualling it would rather straightforward.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Achmelvic wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 13:02
There's a thread for it, Darlington Eastern Link Road, albeit from a while ago with the last post being from yours truly 6 years ago! :wink:

As far as I know it's died a death as not seen much sign of it since and the website I linked to in 2012 no longer exists. It seems to have been overtaken by the 'Darlington North Link Road' which is discussed on the Connectin Tees Valley thread.
It has been built and is in use as the B6279 from Haughton Road to the A66. Its Sunday name is 'The Darlington East Transportation Corridor' Which is I believe indicated on Open Street Map and was referred to in the original thread.
It was opened in 2008
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... next_week/

I suspect what you were thinking about was the discussion about improving the section from East Mount Road to the A167 Ring Road which has become something of a bottleneck. Current plans seem to involve replacing the Throughabout (a signalised Hamburger Roundabout) which although intended to speed things up actually slowed them down.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ent_plans/

It only took the council 10 years to discover that they had made a terrible mistake when they installed it in 2008.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

KeithW wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 14:33
It has been built and is in use as the B6279 from Haughton Road to the A66. Its Sunday name is 'The Darlington East Transportation Corridor' Which is I believe indicated on Open Street Map and was referred to in the original thread.
It was opened in 2008
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... next_week/
Sorry I probably wasn't clear what I was referring to, I know that road well as use it pretty regularly and was there within a few days of it opening ;-) Wow scary that was 10 years ago...

I suspect what you were thinking about was the discussion about improving the section from East Mount Road to the A167 Ring Road which has become something of a bottleneck. Current plans seem to involve replacing the Throughabout (a signalised Hamburger Roundabout) which although intended to speed things up actually slowed them down.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ent_plans/

It only took the council 10 years to discover that they had made a terrible mistake when they installed it in 2008.
No I was meaning the original plan for a cross town link which the Darlington East Transport Corridor/Darlington Eastern Link Road is the rump of and is why that ends in throughabout you mentioned. It was to continue west over the ECML and follow the Bishop Auckland railway line to North Road where Jollye's pet shop is now. Bonomi Way behind what was B&Q, now Poundstretcher, is the middle rump of it. After there it headed northwest through the scrapyard on Whessoe Road, over or under the Bishop line, through the caravan park up to Faverdale where Rotary Way is the other rump end out to the A68.

There was maps produced showing it and I believe I've an old atlas somewhere at home with it as proposed. That's the bit I meant has died a death, I assuming due to the cost of building over both the mainline railway and then later the Bishop line :-)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Achmelvic wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09

No I was meaning the original plan for a cross town link which the Darlington East Transport Corridor/Darlington Eastern Link Road is the rump of and is why that ends in throughabout you mentioned. It was to continue west over the ECML and follow the Bishop Auckland railway line to North Road where Jollye's pet shop is now. Bonomi Way behind what was B&Q, now Poundstretcher, is the middle rump of it. After there it headed northwest through the scrapyard on Whessoe Road, over or under the Bishop line, through the caravan park up to Faverdale where Rotary Way is the other rump end out to the A68.

There was maps produced showing it and I believe I've an old atlas somewhere at home with it as proposed. That's the bit I meant has died a death, I assuming due to the cost of building over both the mainline railway and then later the Bishop line :-)
Hmm I have not heard of that one before but I only returned to the Tees Valley in 2016. Looking at Google maps I can see where a spur (Samian Way) has been blocked off. I must admit I assume that was for future warehouse development but I can see how it would fit.

I doubt the railway bridge was the main issue , the ECML is only dual track. There was talk at one time of closing North Road and the Bishop Auckland service but the new configuration at Darlington station now means trains run through from Saltburn to Bishop so that seems to have receded.

I suspect the main concern would be that any S2 link road and Rotary Way would be overwhelmed. The latest Tees Valley Road Development plan maskes no metion of it so I suspect its dead.

https://teesvalley-ca.gov.uk/wp-content ... dfelopment Plan certainly has n mention of it concentrating instead on a Northern Link Road from Little Burdon to the A1(M) J59.

There is a link to a possible document regarding this on the Darlington council web site but as one might that web site is not responding. Their facebook page says they are having 'intermittent problems'
darlington local development framework core strategy revised ...
https://www.darlington.gov.uk/media/209 ... -final.pdf
Haughton Road and Rotary Way, in part parallel to the alignment of the Stockton &. Darlington ... (a) to complete a strategic highway link between the A66(T) and A1(M). ...... Route (Proposal T6), linking the A1(M0/A68 with the A66(T) bypass.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

For a town that is next to the intersection of a major north-south motorway and a major east-west express road, Darlington is pretty poorly connected to both isn't it?

Is there anything particularly stopping a southbound exit onto the A67 and a northbound slip from the A67 onto the A1(M) being built? By which I mean, practical limitations such as existing buildings, difficult building conditions, etc? Has that ever been considered?

At the moment, traffic from the southern half of the town and the villages/towns to the east & south-east of Darlington heading north, west or north-west is forced go via one of: (1) Darlington town center (2) the A1150/A167 (3) the rat-run via Sadberge/Great Stainton (4) the A19, depending on the destination. All of these are either busy, lengthy, or otherwise not ideal. Whereas a limited junction on the A67 would offer an alternative route that largely sticks to the edges of Darlington, and would spread traffic a little more across the town and its hinterland without, I'd have thought, overwhelming the A67 itself.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Rob590 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 For a town that is next to the intersection of a major north-south motorway and a major east-west express road, Darlington is pretty poorly connected to both isn't it?

Is there anything particularly stopping a southbound exit onto the A67 and a northbound slip from the A67 onto the A1(M) being built? By which I mean, practical limitations such as existing buildings, difficult building conditions, etc? Has that ever been considered?

At the moment, traffic from the southern half of the town and the villages/towns to the east & south-east of Darlington heading north, west or north-west is forced go via one of: (1) Darlington town center (2) the A1150/A167 (3) the rat-run via Sadberge/Great Stainton (4) the A19, depending on the destination. All of these are either busy, lengthy, or otherwise not ideal. Whereas a limited junction on the A67 would offer an alternative route that largely sticks to the edges of Darlington, and would spread traffic a little more across the town and its hinterland without, I'd have thought, overwhelming the A67 itself.
I dont think there is any intention of sending more traffic up the A67 as it's a suburban S2 which already has an AADF of 10k and unless a new junction is put on the A1(M) for the A67 it would be of limited utility which is why the new Northern Link road from Little Burdon to the A1(M) J59 is the favoured option in the Tees Valley Transport Strategy Document.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Rob590 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 At the moment, traffic from the southern half of the town and the villages/towns to the east & south-east of Darlington heading north, west or north-west is forced go via one of: (1) Darlington town center (2) the A1150/A167 (3) the rat-run via Sadberge/Great Stainton (4) the A19, depending on the destination. All of these are either busy, lengthy, or otherwise not ideal. Whereas a limited junction on the A67 would offer an alternative route that largely sticks to the edges of Darlington, and would spread traffic a little more across the town and its hinterland without, I'd have thought, overwhelming the A67 itself.
It is pretty crazy that for me going from south of Stockton. A177 through Stockton is mega congested, waiting at roundabouts and traffic lights. A19 Tees flyover is a long way around and mega congested. Through Darlington and onto the A167 is insane. So that only leaves the rat-run via Sadberge/Great Stainton. In reality the A66 should continue as D2 all the way to the A1(M).
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

KeithW wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33
Herned wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 20:16 Never really paid any attention to the A66(m) before, but it's a bit weird how it just ends in a field! The roundabout doesn't seem future-proofed for any extension, so was there any bigger plan?
I doubt it, the A66(M) basically ended up on the line of the old A1 into Darlington at Blackwell Bridge. For many years you had to follow the old A1 (Grange Road) into Darlington town centre before picking up the then A67 to Great Burdon, Stockton, Thornaby and Middlesbrough. From the end of the A66(M) what happened was the responsibility of the County Council.
It also acts as part of the by pass for Barton and Newton Morrell, which the A1 passed through until 1966.