Most insignificant dual carriageway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

Most insignificant dual carriageway?

Post by TS »

I couldn't find a relevant thread for this without dredging one up from 16 years ago which wasn't 100% relevant!

This is one of my favourite little stretches of dual carriageway. It's about midway along the B8072 at the north of the Isle of Coll. It's so short that you can see the back of the opposing keep-left sign, just to the right of the facing one.

Surely there aren't any more remote examples of a dual carriageway?
B8072 dual.jpg
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Re: Most insignificant dual carriageway?

Post by Duncan macknight »

There was one on the A92 around Inverbervie, basically it was long enough that you can see then end before it started and was only useful for overtaking 1 vehicle.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

[gmap]https://goo.gl/maps/Cj8SQpfhveK2 [/gmap]
Depends on whetehr you class this as a dual carriageway or a one way round I guess.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

TS wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 I couldn't find a relevant thread for this without dredging one up from 16 years ago which wasn't 100% relevant!

This is one of my favourite little stretches of dual carriageway. It's about midway along the B8072 at the north of the Isle of Coll. It's so short that you can see the back of the opposing keep-left sign, just to the right of the facing one.

B8072 dual.jpg
Perhaps look closer to home at Winfrith?
winfrith.jpg
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

TS wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 This is one of my favourite little stretches of dual carriageway. It's about midway along the B8072 at the north of the Isle of Coll. It's so short that you can see the back of the opposing keep-left sign, just to the right of the facing one.
Very impressive! It's on Street View here (shockingly, the Google car hasn't driven both sides of the road ;)). Good luck getting up to 70mph there!
Duncan macknight wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 There was one on the A92 around Inverbervie, basically it was long enough that you can see then end before it started and was only useful for overtaking 1 vehicle.
Is that this one? You don't have to go very far forwards before the arrows start sending you back into lane 1. It can be handy for a quick overtake though.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Tunstead Road may have featured on this board before. It passes through the parishes of Scottow and, er, Sloley
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

This Welsh mountain road featured on another thread recently.
Let it snow.
jackal

Post by jackal »

TS wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 I couldn't find a relevant thread for this without dredging one up from 16 years ago which wasn't 100% relevant!

B8072 dual.jpg
That's great! I guess it is technically a DC, though not signed as such. In practical terms it's more an overengineered passing place.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

B4164 near Symonds Yat
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Rode both sides of the Coll one earlier this year and forgot to share.

There's a few around Dundee
Balgowan Avenue; evidently not a football day as the central reserve is empty
https://goo.gl/maps/7RQ6UvgQATS2

But the most useless bit of DC has got to go to this one
https://goo.gl/maps/Si1FLbMKs2u
Euan

Post by Euan »

Nwallace wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 21:16 But the most useless bit of DC has got to go to this one
https://goo.gl/maps/Si1FLbMKs2u
Maybe not once the dualled sections of the A9 link it up after a few years...
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Herned

Post by Herned »

Taunton here
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

I remember a thread which was discussing how long a dual carriage way needed to be to justify a 70 mph speed limit, as apposed to it being a single carriageway with a safety refuge ( normally to allow traffic turning right ). A602 Stevenage Yes I know this is a 40 mph so it remains 40 but it shows what I mean
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Longford Road, Cannock; west of Poplar Lane.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Beardy5632 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 20:06 B4164 near Symonds Yat
I like this one. It's one of those little pieces of what must have been S1, but was upgraded to D1 by online dualling. Hopelessly over-engineered, for the sake of probably preserving some nice trees.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

From the other side of the world. A short section of divided road on a minor road just inland from Queensland's Gold Coast: https://goo.gl/maps/g1jFS7uy5JU2
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

JohnnyMo wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 21:31 I remember a thread which was discussing how long a dual carriage way needed to be to justify a 70 mph speed limit, as apposed to it being a single carriageway with a safety refuge ( normally to allow traffic turning right ). A602 Stevenage Yes I know this is a 40 mph so it remains 40 but it shows what I mean
Even the 'proper' dual carriageways in Stevenage are all 40 limits nowadays. When I learnt to drive there in the '80s I would be told do speed up if I was doing 40 on many parts of them.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

[url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.67528 ... 2!8i6656Is it or isn't it?[/url] There's signs each end forcing you to pass to the left (although streetview captured someone going 'wrongside') like a DC would be but other parts of the street are parallel single carriageway. It's a long time since water flowed down the middle.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I always wonder why there's that very tiny section of dual carriageway on the A685 just south of Brough. Can only be a few hundred yards!