No Deal Brexit - the M26

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: No Deal Brexit - the M26

Post by Euan »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 16:39
LeedsKing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 15:19 Operation Brock - activated

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-47668926
When I saw then constructing this, I can see this being a permanent fixture, with no intention of removing it.
If that was to be the case would the contraflow section of the M20 still be able to be regarded as a true motorway without the other carriageway or would it encourage more of the port traffic to use the M2/A2 instead?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Gav

Post by Gav »

Would be still a motorway - afterall its a term given to a road that is restricted to specific classes of traffic, and not to the physical construction of the road.

remember this is only transitionary until we have the right procedures in place for crossing to Europe then it will be back to business as usual.
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Drivers not heading to the ports
(Phase 1)
Use any available major route. If you use the A20, you can use the right-hand lane. You may be stopped at traffic lights and asked to prove you’re not heading to the ports.
Anyone care to inquire how exactly one would prove that they are not going to the ports? Because they left that one... rather open.

They've done well to prepare measures in time but they're not complete by any stretch. I wonder if facilities will be provided and rest taken into account for the trapped HGV staff.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Reading this full press release from the HE , it indicates that when Operation Brock isn't in use, and j8 to J9 of the M20 is returned to 3 lanes the 50mph speed limit will remain in place. That is going to be one hell of a slog at 50mph
The M25 - The road to nowhere
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

DB617 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 00:37
(Phase 1)
Use any available major route. If you use the A20, you can use the right-hand lane. You may be stopped at traffic lights and asked to prove you’re not heading to the ports.
Anyone care to inquire how exactly one would prove that they are not going to the ports? Because they left that one... rather open.

They've done well to prepare measures in time but they're not complete by any stretch. I wonder if facilities will be provided and rest taken into account for the trapped HGV staff.
Don't most HGV drivers have some kind of delivery ticket or paperwork? I assume that if so, this is what would be checked. No delivery ticket or works instruction, no access?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Gav wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:04 Would be still a motorway - afterall its a term given to a road that is restricted to specific classes of traffic, and not to the physical construction of the road.

remember this is only transitionary until we have the right procedures in place for crossing to Europe then it will be back to business as usual.
Yes, there is no doubt that the road would still officially be a motorway. It's just a question of whether the potential disruption would put non-HGV drivers off using the route if its capacity was reduced. In which case the M2 (or at least part of it) might be seen as a reasonable alternative for reaching the channel.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
DB617

Post by DB617 »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10
DB617 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 00:37
(Phase 1)

Don't most HGV drivers have some kind of delivery ticket or paperwork? I assume that if so, this is what would be checked. No delivery ticket or works instruction, no access?
I thought this included private vehicles, for some reason, rather than HGVs like the rest of the document... :roll:
Darren

Post by Darren »

A video report showing the M20 as it now stands is available here:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/ne ... ew-201489/
Euan

Post by Euan »

It sounds sensible to review the contraflow system once a week with the possibility of removing it over the coming weekend of that week - I would imagine that there wouldn't be any other way of removing the system without causing massive disruption to traffic flow and you never know how long it might be needed for.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Removing the contraflow is the easy bit. Reopen the closed carriageway with IPV to protect while moving the cones to the side, and then use the J8 crossover to move the cones on the citybound carriageway to the central reservation.

It's putting the cones back out which is the big problem.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The last few posts have been about the M20. Is there any update on the M26?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

What happens if Brexit is considerably delayed?? We’re all assuming it’s just around the corner, but it might not happen this year at all.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17These are the current circuits in the UK:

Aintree Motor Racing Circuit, Aintree
Anglesey Circuit, Aberffraw, Anglesey
Bedford Autodrome, Bedfordshire
Blyton, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
Brands Hatch, Fawkham, Kent
Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire
Capital Karts, London
Castle Combe Circuit, Castle Combe, Wiltshire
Circuit of Wales, Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent
Croft Circuit, North Yorkshire
Darley Moor, Derbyshire
Donington Park, Leicestershire
East Fortune, East Lothian
Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit, West Sussex
Kirkistown Circuit, County Down
Knockhill, Fife
Llandow Circuit, Vale of Glamorgan
Lydden, Canterbury, Kent
Mallory Park, Leicestershire
Nutts Corner, Belfast
Oliver's Mount, North Yorkshire
Oulton Park, Cheshire
Pembrey Circuit, Pembrey, Carmarthenshire
Rockingham Motor Speedway, Corby, Northamptonshire
Santa Pod Raceway, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire
Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire
Snetterton Circuit, Norfolk
Thruxton, Hampshire
Tonfanau, Gwynedd

These vary from full-size full-facility tarmac circuits to small circuits associated with horse racetracks. And I'm not sure that they're all open - I understood that Rockingham was on the brink of closure, for example.
I'm assuming this is an old Wikipedia list (even looking at the original post date), as many of those venues can't/don't host 4-wheel events any more (Aintree, Tonfanau), are Drag Strips (Santa Pod), have since closed (Rockingham) or have never actually existed (Circuit of Wales). If we take the British Touring Car Championship as the most infrastructure intensive 4-wheel racing series in the UK, it's using the following Circuits in 2019:

Brands Hatch, Kent
Donington Park, Leics
Thruxton, Hampshire
Croft, North Yorkshire
Oulton Park, Cheshire
Snetterton, Norfolk
Knockhill, Fife
Silverstone, Northants

Alan Gow, the TOCA/BTCC director is on record as saying that they currently visit every track in the UK with the facilities to host them, so we can assume that this is a list of the most promising UK venues for any alternative British GP venue.

As for moving the British GP, the problem is that no other site in the UK has the trackside infrastructure to host F1 racing, and, equally importantly, the ability to handle helicopter movements to and from the circuit. Donnington's got no chance due to its proximity to East Midlands airport for example, and the other "top tier" venues like Oulton Park or Croft equally don't have the facilities for the crowds or the media/publicity junket. Bernie knew this, but would threaten the BARC/Silverstone with moving the event every now and again just to keep them on their toes and force them to spend on upgrades. I'm not sure how Liberty Media will be, but the fact is that the British GP can't realistically go anywhere but Silverstone.
Built for comfort, not speed.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44
So close to home too, how could I?
Bring back the Superprix. Although given all the sockets for barriers are still there along with the Halfords Hairpin it seemingly never went away.
Resurrection of the race in some form is occasionally mooted, and yes, the infrastructure for the hairpin is still very evident. But then it all goes quiet again. The old circuit isn't completely useable any more, in particular the Bristol St/Middleway junction is now having a cycle route added and the temporary (as in moveable by hoist) islands were made permanent some time ago. I can't see it coming back. It's been nearly 30 years now.
Of course they never ran F1 around Birmingham, just the Saloon Cars and some lower formula (F3 I think?). I doubt you'd get a circuit complaint with modern F1 requirements in to Birmingham city centre these days.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 14:51
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 Bring back the Superprix. Although given all the sockets for barriers are still there along with the Halfords Hairpin it seemingly never went away.
Resurrection of the race in some form is occasionally mooted, and yes, the infrastructure for the hairpin is still very evident. But then it all goes quiet again. The old circuit isn't completely useable any more, in particular the Bristol St/Middleway junction is now having a cycle route added and the temporary (as in moveable by hoist) islands were made permanent some time ago. I can't see it coming back. It's been nearly 30 years now.
Of course they never ran F1 around Birmingham, just the Saloon Cars and some lower formula (F3 I think?). I doubt you'd get a circuit complaint with modern F1 requirements in to Birmingham city centre these days.
It was F3, I think. I went for the 1989 running, Jean Alesi won, he later had a reasonable career in F1 (only 1 win, but 32 podium finishes in an era when Schumacher was dominant), racing for Tyrrell, Ferrari, Benetton, Sauber and others.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AndyB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58Removing the contraflow is the easy bit. Reopen the closed carriageway with IPV to protect while moving the cones to the side, and then use the J8 crossover to move the cones on the citybound carriageway to the central reservation.

Trouble is, it's not cones, it's a continuous metal barrier which has been bolted to the carriageway, and the road markings have all been burned off and relaid in new positions. When I visited I got the very strong impression that this is not something that's going to be set out and taken away on a whim; if I had to guess I'd say it's here for months at least and won't be removed until Highways England are certain they won't need to set it out again.

The press release says the M20 could be restored to three lanes each way operating with a 50 limit - my guess is that coastbound would return to normal, with the traffic management for the queueing system removed, but the barrier and altered markings would remain in place on the Londonbound carriageway, meaning the 50 limit would remain in force. But in all honesty, I think that's unlikely. I'd like to be proved wrong!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 19:40
AndyB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58Removing the contraflow is the easy bit. Reopen the closed carriageway with IPV to protect while moving the cones to the side, and then use the J8 crossover to move the cones on the citybound carriageway to the central reservation.

Trouble is, it's not cones, it's a continuous metal barrier which has been bolted to the carriageway, and the road markings have all been burned off and relaid in new positions. When I visited I got the very strong impression that this is not something that's going to be set out and taken away on a whim; if I had to guess I'd say it's here for months at least and won't be removed until Highways England are certain they won't need to set it out again.

The press release says the M20 could be restored to three lanes each way operating with a 50 limit - my guess is that coastbound would return to normal, with the traffic management for the queueing system removed, but the barrier and altered markings would remain in place on the Londonbound carriageway, meaning the 50 limit would remain in force. But in all honesty, I think that's unlikely. I'd like to be proved wrong!
What would the configuration be like in that situation then?? D3 both ways??
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 20:46
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 19:40

What would the configuration be like in that situation then?? D3 both ways??
If the barrier on the London bound carriageway was left in place then it would have to be a 2+1 arrangement there, with the other carriageway D3M as normal.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Darren

Post by Darren »

Brock's off to a good start...

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/ ... ic-201582/

The comments are interesting. This one stands out:

"Came thru in the opposite direction yesterday 9-8 was a nightmare with foreign trucks going thru on the limiter in the second lane tailgating any thing in the way Then one ran out of tallent and side swiped a van sending it up the van the bank hitting a tree stump and dragging all the wires for the cameras with it ... then the truck disappeared into the distance . Its should be one normal lane and one narrow to slow them down"