DN7 Hatfield Link

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

DN7 Hatfield Link

Post by wrinkly »

The Hatfield of the thread title is the one near Doncaster, not the one in Herts (or any other).

Doncaster Council has had a long-standing aspiration to build a westward single carriageway link from the M18/M180 junction (where I imagine the roundabout would become AP, if anyone remembers to do the admin) to connect with the local road network. This proposal has been mentioned in passing in various threads but as far as I know has never had its own thread. The scheme is now known as the DN7 Hatfield link or B1538 Hatfield Link.

It seems that it's finally moving forward. This notice has appeared in the London Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3132982

This led me to search for a plan of the scheme. See the second and third of the four links at the bottom of this page (ending in "App 1" and "App 2"):

https://doncaster.moderngov.co.uk/ieDec ... spx?Id=111

Access from the motorways to the existing service area is already indirect and it looks as though the first part of the service area approach road would become part of the main new road.

Part of the route coincides with a possible route for the eastward extension of the Manchester-Sheffield route, discussed in other threads.
Johnathan404

Re: DN7 Hatfield Link

Post by Johnathan404 »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 19:40 Doncaster Council has had a long-standing aspiration to build a westward single carriageway link from the M18/M180 junction (where I imagine the roundabout would become AP, if anyone remembers to do the admin) to connect with the local road network.
Logically motorway regulations should begin after the new roundabout, effectively meaning no change.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Incidentally where does the number B1538 come from? Is there a B1536 or 1357?
jackal

Post by jackal »

So the main access to the towns of Hatfield and Stainforth, as well as a new power station and various development sites, is to be via a basic GSJ that already connects two motorways and a service station. What could possibly go wrong?
si404

Post by si404 »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 19:52Incidentally where does the number B1538 come from? Is there a B1536 or 1357?
There's a B1539 just opened. B1530 was reserved by Sunderland Council (probably for what became the B1539), B1531, 2, 4 and 5 exist. I imagine 3, 6 and 7 have been reserved.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson

From the SABRE Wiki: B1539 :

The B1539 is the Queen Alexandra Bridge in Sunderland. It was created in August 2018, when the Northern Spire diverted the A1231 away from the bridge.

The B1539 starts at a large roundabout with the A1290, where it heads south across the Queen Alexandra Bridge over the River Wear. The Stadium of Light, home to

... Read More