DN7 Hatfield Link

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: DN7 Hatfield Link

Post by the cheesecake man »

Stevie D wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 20:02 Yes, it's a beneficial side effect, but it's a marginal gain that would not on its own have been anywhere near enough to merit building the road.
:soapbox: True, but very sad that profits for developers are more important than road users, residents and the environment.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

This road was part of a bigger plan, I remember seeing it on the local planning or council website, there are plans for IIRC 700 houses, a marina, shops and commercial property to "re-vitalise" Stainforth which suffered the loss of the local Colliery when many of them closed. Once some of this development has taken place then maybe the roads layout won't seem as odd.

As for the ground quality, there has been issues with the spoil heap here a few years ago, I think lack of maintenance was blamed, a lot of rainfall onto such areas has caused disasters before, Aberfan was in my lifetime but have the lessons been learnt.

The locals recently voted Mayor Ros Jones back in so the residents must be okay with her pet projects.

Vince
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

belgarion wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 13:22
As for the ground quality, there has been issues with the spoil heap here a few years ago,
I remember it well. Googling images of "railway landslip Stainforth" finds pictures like this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-21626681
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

belgarion wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 13:22The locals recently voted Mayor Ros Jones back in so the residents must be okay with her pet projects.
One of the things that Ros Jones has done very well is getting outside investment in Doncaster, and on good financial terms, which has kept the council in good shape and allowed it to avoid some of the austerity and cuts that so many other councils have seen.
And she's a Labour candidate in Doncaster, which helps!

If the DN7 project comes off then it has the potential to regenerate an area that has been really run-down and depressed, with a new development that is more than little boxes made of ticky-tacky, all the same.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I came this way yesterday in search of an air pump that had't been closed due to the petrol pumps being empty. I'm fairly certain there's no signage on the M18, and no online maps show where the other end of the B1538 ends up. Google shows the line of the road, but with no legends. There's no classified roads in Stainforth itself, so does it just end on the colliery roundabout, or does it continue somewhere?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

jgharston wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 14:46 no online maps show where the other end of the B1638 ends up.
SABRE Maps does, thanks to the OSM layer.

At present, the B1538 does just randomly end at a roundabout with no other classified roads.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!