A595 Grizebeck

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

A595 Grizebeck

Post by wrinkly »

I often skip fantasy threads, especially now that they've got their own subforum, so it was by accident that I happened to see this thread, and specifically Glenn A's statement that one of the worst bits of the A595 is about to be bypassed.

So I did a search and found this:

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/a595grizebeck/default.asp
Glenn A

Re: A595 Grizebeck

Post by Glenn A »

The project will cost £ 200,000 and remove a primitive bottleneck from the A595.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

That sounds an optimistic figure for the cost, and your claim in the other thread that it's happening next year also sounds optimistic!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 17:29 The project will cost £ 200,000 and remove a primitive bottleneck from the A595.
You're speaking as if that’s the only one. But there’s many more. Duddon Bridge, just a couple of miles away, with 2-Way lights.

In fact the whole route of the A595 across the estuary is sub-standard. It should follow a straight course, as far as possible, not sharply darting back down to Foxfield and back up to Duddon Bridge, before shooting down again.

The area is outside the National Park, and only part of it is an SSSI. It shouldn’t make it impossible to design a new, modern route. But the Grizebeck diversion would still need doing anyway.
stevepuma

Post by stevepuma »

While I agree with the above comments, and indeed the road is a constant pain to me when delivering on the West Coast, I rather feel that even to get £200k spent on it in view of the traffic numbers, we have done well. It's too far removed from enough voters to seriously concern any politicians... :(
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 18:15
Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 17:29 The project will cost £ 200,000 and remove a primitive bottleneck from the A595.
You're speaking as if that’s the only one. But there’s many more.
I don't think he's speaking as if it's the only one. As he remarks in the other thread, "the farm is being by passed next year, but this barely scratches the surface of the problem of the A595, and a bridge/tidal energy barrage across the Duddon would slash journey times and remove most traffic from a dangerous and slow section of the A595."
Herned

Post by Herned »

Is that missing a (or even two) zero? I would have thought getting to the funding stage will set you back more than £200k these days
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Reading the article it states this is one of the first “major roads network” schemes, but looking at the proposed major road network plans the A595 here wasn’t even shown as a proposed major road network, the major road network map shows the A595 which flows into the A5092 as the major road network, the A595 south of that wasn’t part of it, I know transport for the north had its plans showing many more roads included but what does the final major roads network look like?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Berk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 18:15 In fact the whole route of the A595 across the estuary is sub-standard. It should follow a straight course, as far as possible, not sharply darting back down to Foxfield and back up to Duddon Bridge, before shooting down again.
It did in fact go through Broughton-in-Furness originally, and A593 met it in the town centre. The diversion via Foxfield is to relieve Broughton, and if you're familiar with that town's narrow streets, you'll appreciate that this is no bad thing.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
PaulLothian

Post by PaulLothian »

Any improvements on this road are to be welcomed, but the overall problem is that much of the road north of Ireleth to beyond the Duddon Bridge is narrow and bendy, resulting in a conflict between drivers who want to progress safely and those who want to get a move on. My most terrifying driving experience in the last 30 years was a few weeks ago when I came round a bend on this stretch to find a large car in my lane trying to overtake three others on a 150 metre-long straight, and it was only due to the fact that there was a verge at road level at that point that we did not have a head-on collision.

It would be fine if it was a Lakeland road, with most people generally accepting of pottering drivers, but it is not - it has a significant commuting traffic and large lorries. From the cottage where we regularly stay, next to the road, we can hear passing vehicles at all hours of day and night, many travelling quite a bit faster than the speed limit or the nature of the road would indicate.

We will be watching this one with interest!