A391 St Austell to A30 Link Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

crowntown100

A391 St Austell to A30 Link Road

Post by crowntown100 »

This one has gone largely unnoticed other than a brief mention in the budget a few years ago when the funding was announced and occasional mentions in the local newspaper, and I may have mentioned it on the Local Road Projects thread.

Cornwall Council have now taken another step to creating a new road between St Austell and the A30. The original plans 10 years ago showed a route bypassing Bugle and the extended villages along the current road to the east, but this new route takes western route, bypassing Roche to the west as the land around Bugle as been designated a SSSI (or something along those lines).

It's an interesting scheme, uses some of the old A30 through Victoria, includes a few overtaking lanes and a handful of roundabouts, as well as some escape lanes, which seem quite popular on the A391, it would seem.

Only area of concern is whether this will significantly increase pressure on Victoria Interchange, which is currently quite busy due to the services, but copes as St Austell Traffic currently still goes to Innis Downs. Only time will tell, I suppose. I can't see it being upgraded any time soon if it is.

Construction is due to start in Spring 2020 and finish in Spring 2022, which seems remarkably quick. It also puts the start date around the same time that Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross starts (had to get an A30 mention in there :lol:), so I'll need to have a look for a decent camera to get some photos of both schemes!

Links below. I'll warn you that the PDF with the scheme detail are quite big.
Cornwall Council
Scheme Drawing 1
Scheme Drawing 2
Scheme Drawing 3
Scheme Drawing 4
Harry
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Re: A391 St Austell to A30 Link Road

Post by A303Chris »

The A391 needs an upgrade from Eden to the A30, but couldn't they go straight onto the Victoria junction. As you say the junction is already busy given Cornwall Services.

I cant see the locals in Victoria being happy, lose loads of traffic when the A30 Goss Moor improvement, only to get it back with a rerouted A391
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m more unhappy there isn’t a junction closer to Roche myself, but what can you do?? Having to plough on to Victoria, come off and go back again seems pointless. They could close Victoria junction instead.

Also, no inquiry has been booked yet, because no application has been submitted. The timetable is only good if there will not be an inquiry. Otherwise it may change.
Herned

Post by Herned »

A303Chris wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:13 The A391 needs an upgrade from Eden to the A30, but couldn't they go straight onto the Victoria junction. As you say the junction is already busy given Cornwall Services.

I cant see the locals in Victoria being happy, lose loads of traffic when the A30 Goss Moor improvement, only to get it back with a rerouted A391
There are literally 3 houses on the old A30 in Victoria. It's essentially an industrial estate with a few houses by the railway station
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Berk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:19They could close Victoria junction instead.
It now has a large service area off it, and underneath is a favourite haunt of speed camera vans.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Herned wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:35
A303Chris wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:13 The A391 needs an upgrade from Eden to the A30, but couldn't they go straight onto the Victoria junction. As you say the junction is already busy given Cornwall Services.

There are literally 3 houses on the old A30 in Victoria. It's essentially an industrial estate with a few houses by the railway station
...And in Bugle and the surrounding areas there are around a few thousand locals who currently live with levels of traffic on the A391 not suitable for the road. It would be beneficial for more people if the traffic was rerouted away from these areas and instead received somewhere with far fewer nearby people thus improving road safety for more people.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk

Post by Berk »

Euan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 23:27
Herned wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:35

...And in Bugle and the surrounding areas there are around a few thousand locals who currently live with levels of traffic on the A391 not suitable for the road. It would be beneficial for more people if the traffic was rerouted away from these areas and instead received somewhere with far fewer nearby people thus improving road safety for more people.
Oh no, I do support he road myself. I just think they need to replace Victoria with a junction at Roche instead.

It will fit in with the works that have taken place over the last 10 years near Eden, and then 5 years ago closer to St Austell.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

To be fair, even with the services the Victoria junction is hardly what you'd call "busy". I think that it should be absolutely fine with the extra A391 traffic. You look at Innis Downs which is another dumbbell with the A391 and the A389 into Bodmin, and again is generally pretty quiet.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Berk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 00:31 It will fit in with the works that have taken place over the last 10 years near Eden, and then 5 years ago closer to St Austell.
This does connect directly to the new bits south of Bugle past the Eden Project though? It's finishing the job of connecting to the A30. The section of old A30 through Victoria is perfectly capable of coping with the traffic. Perhaps west-facing slips could be built from the B3274 but I really don't think a full junction is needed there
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I find the Victoria junction discussion baffling. Even with the popular Cornwall services, the junction is quiet, and will handle the traffic levels with ease. Sometimes I think we look for problems that aren't there....
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

nowster wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:43
Berk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 19:19They could close Victoria junction instead.
It now has a large service area off it, and underneath is a favourite haunt of speed camera vans.
As is the layby to the east of Innis Downs !!!!
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Euan

Post by Euan »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 I find the Victoria junction discussion baffling. Even with the popular Cornwall services, the junction is quiet, and will handle the traffic levels with ease. Sometimes I think we look for problems that aren't there....
Other than for the services it is really only Roche and its environs that are served via Victoria Interchange, so the junction will not be that busy. The B3274 is more of a local access route, it does not act as a vital link between any large towns or major roads.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
bart

Post by bart »

I find it odd that this is being called a "Link Road" rather than a bypass of Bugle and Treverbyn, as I presume the new road will get the A391 number.
Euan

Post by Euan »

bart wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 20:32 I find it odd that this is being called a "Link Road" rather than a bypass of Bugle and Treverbyn, as I presume the new road will get the A391 number.
I would imagine it would be numbered A391. The real question is what number the old road will take, the most logical solution being an extended A389.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Euan wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 08:43The real question is what number the old road will take, the most logical solution being an extended A389.
I disagree, I think it'll take the B3374 number away from the road through Penwithick (although given the current B3274 mess, I can see that keeping the same number as well).
Euan

Post by Euan »

DavidBrown wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24
Euan wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 08:43The real question is what number the old road will take, the most logical solution being an extended A389.
I disagree, I think it'll take the B3374 number away from the road through Penwithick (although given the current B3274 mess, I can see that keeping the same number as well).
It probably depends on the level of maintenance that they wish to keep the old road at in the longer term. If they do decide to downgrade it to class II then yes B3374 would seem like a reasonable alternative, or it could just receive a completely new number altogether if there was a desire not to deprive Penwithick of its B road. But it wouldn't be too unprecedented if the length of the road was covered by a combination of spurs of the B3274 and B3374.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Planning application submitted to CCC for the new St Austell to A30 link road.

http://planning.cornwall.gov.uk/online- ... ab=summary
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’d like to think they’ll have fixed the Victoria junction, but I doubt it.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Berk wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 22:38 I’d like to think they’ll have fixed the Victoria junction, but I doubt it.
Again, what exactly is there to fix? Nobody apart from you can see any issues whatsoever.