After the A9 & A96

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Burns

Re: After the A9 & A96

Post by Burns »

cb a1 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 17:37
B9127 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 22:09once the two pedestrian crossing's on the Kingsway are switched on the hold ups will be horrendous.
They won't have any net effect on vehicle travel times as the capacity constraint in that area are the signals at Forfar Road.

They will however, make it far safer for people to get to and from Caird Park.
The real sense of impending doom for the A90 through Dundee is the upcoming signalisation of the Swallow Roundabout. I can't see those pedestrian crossings causing much of an issue, especially considering they've had a bag over them for the last 247 years.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Burns wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:38
cb a1 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 17:37
B9127 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 22:09once the two pedestrian crossing's on the Kingsway are switched on the hold ups will be horrendous.
They won't have any net effect on vehicle travel times as the capacity constraint in that area are the signals at Forfar Road.

The real sense of impending doom for the A90 through Dundee is the upcoming signalisation of the Swallow Roundabout. I can't see those pedestrian crossings causing much of an issue, especially considering they've had a bag over them for the last 247 years.
They may make it easier for me to get from Mains Loan onto the Kingsway though.

When the Kingsway was built there was hardly anything the other side of it, the amount of Greenery in Dundee does make it difficult to see in many parts just how much development is now the other side of it, and how much more there will in future.

A large part of Dundee's traffic problems come from the corporation being feart of losing through traffic.
paully

Post by paully »

Nwallace wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 20:32
Burns wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:38
cb a1 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 17:37 They won't have any net effect on vehicle travel times as the capacity constraint in that area are the signals at Forfar Road.

They may make it easier for me to get from Mains Loan onto the Kingsway though.

When the Kingsway was built there was hardly anything the other side of it, the amount of Greenery in Dundee does make it difficult to see in many parts just how much development is now the other side of it, and how much more there will in future.

A large part of Dundee's traffic problems come from the corporation being feart of losing through traffic.
I think your last statement is probably correct, but it amazes me how much worse the traffic on the A90 is than 5-10 years ago. Have traffic levels actually increased that much? It's particularly bad at the Forfar Road and Claverhouse Road (Morrisons) junction. There always used to be peak delays at Forfar Road (even before the lights) but now it seems that you have to accept it'll take 5 mins to get through the junction.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The bridge lands where it does because anywhere else would have diverted traffic from the city centre
The bridge was built because the M90/A94 route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen via Perth was likely to become the preferred route over the A92 therefore reducing passing trade.

Can't say I've really noticed an increase in traffic, the Forfar Road out off Dundee's been a nightmare for as long as I've been driving (since '99) used to hate the double roundabout.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re the double pedestrian crossings on Kingsway - once the kids discover the delight in pressing buttons when crossing to the new leisure centre there will be mayhem. Re Swallow Circle it was meant to be a GSJ as shown on the 1968 development plan as was Myrekirk
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... m=facebook From the local DCT paper re a Dundee Northern By Pass - the council don't seem to want it but the cracker of a remark is the first comment - don't know which planet he lives on but he thinks HGV'S will go round the north of Perth the through about four villages on a road that at this time of year has combines etc crawling along and restricted sight lines he is sadly mistaken - he then proposes to dual the A94 !!!
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I just recalled that the bridge two lane so the guy that commented would need another £150 million for another bridge to dual the crossing!
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

A dualled A94 expressway would be very nice, but you’d be looking at well over a billion I’m sure!

To be honest, the Dundee northern bypass would probably be similar if it’s anything like the AWPR.