Stonework on the A9

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Stonework on the A9

Post by Duncan macknight »

I have driven the A9 many times but on my most recent journey up I saw https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.59122 ... 6656?hl=en

This thing is found on the Dunkeld bypass and it was roughly this stretch that was built along the line of the River Tay after it was diverted (1977). The Military road doesn't go very near and its higher up. Anyone know what it is?

NOTE: this may need a bit of playing around with the timezone on the street view as theres a capture of it when the Trees are less dense. April 2015 is best
David D Miller

Re: Stonework on the A9

Post by David D Miller »

I think it's Warren Lodge Bridge, on the old military road's original route down by the riverside. Maps from 1752 to 1807 all show this earlier route. Telford's 19th century Parliamentary road is the one further up the hillside, and first shows up on the earliest OS maps from the mid-19th century. It's Telford's route which became the old A9, and which, confusingly, is marked as General Wade's Military Road on the modern OS maps.
David D Miller

Post by David D Miller »

Might also be called Ledpettie Bridge. It's category B listed, and description matches although the location isn't right. The bridge carried the main road until 1809.
paully

Post by paully »

You can see it better from this angle:
https://goo.gl/maps/U7GVExWsfFT2

Great spot by the way, I have never noticed that bridge before.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Looking at the 6 inch maps there is a Ledpettie Lodge on the old road with a bridge showing just south of it so presumably Ledpettie Bridge as noted above
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year