Highways England's A. .(M) Expressway plans?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris56000

Highways England's A. .(M) Expressway plans?

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

So far, we know that the A14 Huntingdon–Cambridge project will be the first length of road to be designated Motorway Regulations at or shortly before completion as part of H.E.'s "Expressway Type 3" proposals in the 2017 Strategic Network Paper, which mentions that "Motorway Regulations can be considered for exsisting or newly–improved sections where the technology can be added at economic cost", so given that the A14 is the first Phase 3 type to open, have there been any hints or indications as to what future sections will follow?

I would suspect that any of the currently planned widenings/improvements along the A12 will be next, but what are other Member's opinions?

Chris Williams
havaska_uk

Re: Highways England's A. .(M) Expressway plans?

Post by havaska_uk »

Well there's the mini extension to the A1(M) which is being done as part of the A14(M) works which will reclassify a small section of A1 as motorway but built to the 'expressway' standards.

There's also the newly opened A556 bypass between the M56 and M6 which is built to expressway standards and would just need new blue signs, so I'd put money on that.

Up in Scotland (I know it's not Highways England but I'd like to think they work on the standards together), the A90 bypass around Aberdeen is built to the same standards and has actually been classified as a special road, but alas, with no (M) to be seen.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

I would consider making the following roads high in the priority of becoming an expressway. These roads are of a motorway standard bar having a HS and also contain good distances between junctions whilst having an alternative route for non motorway traffic. All that would be needed are just blue signs and MS4's.

1) A21 (M25 to A26 Tonbridge)
2) A421 (M1 to A1, then to the A14 once Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet is built)
3) A42 (M42 to M1)
4) A3 (M25 to A243 Hook)
5) A20 (Folkestone to Dover)

Whilst you might say there are many more roads which could become expressway, the ones I've listed are select because I think we need to be careful that the expressway standards are kept high. Ideally roads like the A1, A14, A34 where you have poor compact GSJ. road alignment along with tightly spaced junctions with inadequate slips should not become expressways until major work takes place to eliminate these issues along with the more obvious ones such as at grade crossings.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Herned

Post by Herned »

I would add the A2 from Bexley to the M2 as well, it even has hard shoulders the whole way!
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I did see a document on the Highways England website some time ago and it gave a clear map of proposed expressways so that’s a very good guide I would think....

From what I can remember I know the A303/A358 to the M5 was a proposed expressway meaning the A303 will have to be free flow into the A358 with the A303 thereafter remaining a standard road.

The A64 between Bramham A1(M) and the Hopgrove at York is also proposed with an arrow saying possible future extension East towards Malton, so I’m guessing any future dualling will be to expressway standards and of course will need the Hopgrove removing.

As mentioned the A12 was on there, the A11, the A616/A628 this is undergoing a study to decide the best option as a tunnel was proposed, the A66 was also shown, the A1 around Newcastle and Northwards, the A3, the A42 and the A168/A19 many others were shown, when I have chance I shall try and find the documents.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

thatapanydude wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 19:49 I would consider making the following roads high in the priority of becoming an expressway. These roads are of a motorway standard bar having a HS and also contain good distances between junctions whilst having an alternative route for non motorway traffic. All that would be needed are just blue signs and MS4's.

3) A42 (M42 to M1)
4) A3 (M25 to A243 Hook)

Whilst you might say there are many more roads which could become expressway, the ones I've listed are select because I think we need to be careful that the expressway standards are kept high. Ideally roads like the A1, A14, A34 where you have poor compact GSJ. road alignment along with tightly spaced junctions with inadequate slips should not become expressways until major work takes place to eliminate these issues along with the more obvious ones such as at grade crossings.
It's a good idea to keep Ax(M) roads to a high standard - I don't think there's any intention of completely rewriting the suggested minimum geometry for motorway classification - however I think that it would also be a great idea to use non-motorway expressway classification to differentiate between types of all-purpose road. I realised this while trying to explain road tripping in the UK to a Swedish friend; the difference between for example the A465 and A470 in South Wales and the roads that continue through Powys and to Hereford should be more obvious to the layperson.
owen b

Post by owen b »

thatapanydude wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 19:49 I would consider making the following roads high in the priority of becoming an expressway. These roads are of a motorway standard bar having a HS and also contain good distances between junctions whilst having an alternative route for non motorway traffic. All that would be needed are just blue signs and MS4's.

3) A42 (M42 to M1)
4) A3 (M25 to A243 Hook)

Regarding the A421 (M1 to A1), the connection to M1 J13 requires negotiating non free flow junctions. M1 southbound to A421 eastbound requires a roundabout and a light controlled junction, the other way it requires two roundabouts. M1 northbound to A421 eastbound requires two roundabouts, the other way it requires a junction (albeit with a free flow lane) and a roundabout. I'm not sure how strict the criteria for junctions connecting the termini of expressways to other HE routes will be, but that would seem to be an issue in this case.
Owen
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

If we can have two motorways meeting at a non-motorway junction then I see no reason why an expressway can't as well.

The question is will an A42 expressway follow expressway policy and be called A42(M), or follow common sense and be called M42?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
M19

Post by M19 »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 16:29 If we can have two motorways meeting at a non-motorway junction then I see no reason why an expressway can't as well.

The question is will an A42 expressway follow expressway policy and be called A42(M), or follow common sense and be called M42?
The A42 is all but motorway and very similar to the section of M90 that doesn't have hard shoulders. So, going by that logic, you just rename it the M42.

Others which lack continuity are best using AXX(M). Some older bits of motorway were indeed AXX(M) before they were connected into a continuous route e.g. A20(M). Of course there are many anomalies that the pedants could have a feast on, but I'm not wishing to fall into that debate.
M19
IAN

Post by IAN »

In the case of roads like the A42 where you're just changing the signs and adding some message signs, why go to that expense just to get a blue line on the map? It's not going to improve anything much and the route is established so it's not like you need to educate drivers that's it's the best one to use. You could put the money saved towards other projects.

For roads like the A14 that do need some more significant junction and possibly alignment upgrades before being reclassified, then fine as you'd no doubt have to replace the signs anyway.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

owen b wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 16:22 Regarding the A421 (M1 to A1), the connection to M1 J13 requires negotiating non free flow junctions. M1 southbound to A421 eastbound requires a roundabout and a light controlled junction, the other way it requires two roundabouts. M1 northbound to A421 eastbound requires two roundabouts, the other way it requires a junction (albeit with a free flow lane) and a roundabout. I'm not sure how strict the criteria for junctions connecting the termini of expressways to other HE routes will be, but that would seem to be an issue in this case.
The layout of M1 Junction 13 will have to be revised again if the Oxford to Cambridge expressway is built and the A421 dual carriageway extended southwards towards Buckingham (or Aylesbury) and Oxford.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

IAN wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 20:28 In the case of roads like the A42 where you're just changing the signs and adding some message signs, why go to that expense just to get a blue line on the map? It's not going to improve anything much and the route is established so it's not like you need to educate drivers that's it's the best one to use. You could put the money saved towards other projects.
I disagree - it has the advantage that slower vehicles and NMUs will be prohibited as well as providing better routing for satellite navigation. Looking blue on the map is also an economic advantage, albeit one of its own creation. As signage on the stretch will all come up for renewal at the same time in the next 15 years or so, the cost of rebranding it if nothing else needs to change would be fairly minimal - and if concrete barriers and technology were put in, or widening were to occur then again it would make sense.

The only difficulty with the A42 would really be if there are utilities buried in the road, which would not be permitted and would need to be re-routed or sunk into an underground culvert.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

The A2 between the M25 and M2 (already mentioned here) surely must be phase 3 compliant along with the A299 between the M2 and the first roundabout at Sarre. Also if you freeflow the M2 at J7 onto the A2 you could reclassify it down to Lydden
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 23:30 I did see a document on the Highways England website some time ago and it gave a clear map of proposed expressways so that’s a very good guide I would think....
Yes you did page 57of this document shows the proposed routes.

There's some details on the campaign against motorised transport web site here, which are obviously against the plans because why would anyone one want to get from a to b quickly
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris56000 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 15:57So far, we know that the A14 Huntingdon–Cambridge project will be the first length of road to be designated Motorway Regulations at or shortly before completion as part of H.E.'s "Expressway Type 3" proposals in the 2017 Strategic Network Paper, which mentions that "Motorway Regulations can be considered for exsisting or newly–improved sections where the technology can be added at economic cost", so given that the A14 is the first Phase 3 type to open, have there been any hints or indications as to what future sections will follow?
The short answer to this question is no, there have been no indications about which other sections might be next!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I suspect like most of these huge "innovations" once the A14(M) opens it will be quietly dropped as it is screamingly obvious to anyone they just wanted that to be motorway but lacked the minerals to say so originally.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Maybe the A14(M) could have a "motorway rest area" the complete the 'things we've just invented' checklist :roll:
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 01:10 Maybe the A14(M) could have a "motorway rest area" the complete the 'things we've just invented' checklist :roll:
Brampton Hut?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 07:15
Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 01:10 Maybe the A14(M) could have a "motorway rest area" the complete the 'things we've just invented' checklist :roll:
Brampton Hut?
I'm guessing Cambridge Services will be grandfathered in as a full MSA. Also, I find it difficult to believe that Brampton Hut won't have some sort of signage/status given it is a significant long established facility that will be accessible from both A14(M) and A1(M)
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 07:15
Brampton Hut?
This motorway rest area has just "celebrated" its tenth anniversary:-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.94083 ... 6656?hl=en