M20 Operation Brock

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

M20 Operation Brock

Post by A303Chris »

I thought I would start a new page as after searching it seems that Operation Brock doesn't have its own page and is consumed within Operation Stack.

As this HE press release details the final roadworks are being implemented to ensure Operation Brock can be implemented before mid March, I am unsure what the rush is for, is something happening at the end of that month.

Therefore Operation Stack will bite the dust and Operation Brock will be the way forward.

However, what I can't work out is where are the Operation Brock barriers going, are they beside the hard shoulder or in the central reservation. Then how are they moved to lane 1/2. Are they on wheels and how long will it take to move 13 miles of the stuff?
The M25 - The road to nowhere
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Re: M20 Operation Brock

Post by frediculous_biggs »

I wonder if portaloos will be placed along the M20 closer to March, as they were during the awful weeks of seemingly endless Operation Stack a few years ago.

Narrow lanes at a 50 limit will make the M20 very slow until March as there are also smart motorway works near J3. I thought the problem with the movable barrier last time was the time it took to implement - I don't see how this will be any different.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Just some blatant (but relevant) self promotion...

Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Why the two-staged contra-flow? It just looks like an invitation for idiots to get confused?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

Jeni wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 16:18 Just some blatant (but relevant) self promotion...

These Videos you do are absolutely brilliant. Thank you.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Johnathan404 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 16:42 Why the two-staged contra-flow? It just looks like an invitation for idiots to get confused?
Safer than the two lanes together if any vehicle does not follow the correct path, I would have thought?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I rather imagine that it's another form of traffic management - e.g. one crossover lane can be closed to further stack vehicles or whatever.

At the end it's obviously to stop weaving across to the Ashford exit.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
IanM

Post by IanM »

D2L5aRdXgAA-ejA.jpg
B4444

Post by B4444 »

Portsmouth CC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... -47875003 have reduced the speed limit on the M275 from 60 to 40. 60 was ignored so I wouldn't expect much compliance with 40! They have also built (allegedly without planning permission), a small lorry park opposite the park-and-ride.
Berk

Post by Berk »

If the decision is made to offer an extension (however long that is, up to this time next year, say), would that mean Brock and Stack get “parked” for this year??

(Pardon the pun. :laugh:)

How ready would HE/gov.uk want the contingencies to be, and how long would speed restrictions remain in place without any additional stationary lorry traffic??

Is there such a thing as a “rolling” TRO that can be activated as and when required?? Or can you make a permanent order and suspend it from time to time when not required??
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

B4444 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 20:46 Portsmouth CC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... -47875003 have reduced the speed limit on the M275 from 60 to 40. 60 was ignored so I wouldn't expect much compliance with 40! They have also built (allegedly without planning permission), a small lorry park opposite the park-and-ride.
I use that quite frequently, my office is right next to the M275... This is the first I've heard of the new lower limit.

PCC not making stuff like that obvious? Who'd have thought?!
B4444

Post by B4444 »

The Portsmouth News is reporting that the 40mph limit is being removed tonight as B****t is delayed. Southbound has to be closed as the limits are etched into the asphalt. :(
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

B4444 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 17:03 The Portsmouth News is reporting that the 40mph limit is being removed tonight as B****t is delayed. Southbound has to be closed as the limits are etched into the asphalt. :(
Lets hope that they will open up the M20 now, they could just split the NB carriageway traffic to use a 2+2 arrangement so that the contraflow infrastructure remains in place, while the SB carriageway can be opened up fully.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

lotrjw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 18:19 Lets hope that they will open up the M20 now, they could just split the NB carriageway traffic to use a 2+2 arrangement so that the contraflow infrastructure remains in place, while the SB carriageway can be opened up fully.
The M20 coastbound is being re-opened tonight. The concrete barrier is going nowhere. It'll be NSL D3M coastbound and 50mph D2 Londonbound.
Berk

Post by Berk »

A bit of a fag, but better than a carriageway closed...
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 19:04
lotrjw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 18:19 Lets hope that they will open up the M20 now, they could just split the NB carriageway traffic to use a 2+2 arrangement so that the contraflow infrastructure remains in place, while the SB carriageway can be opened up fully.
The M20 coastbound is being re-opened tonight. The concrete barrier is going nowhere. It'll be NSL D3M coastbound and 50mph D2 Londonbound.
concrete? the temporary barrier is a metal one! so is the normal armco in the central reservation!
My point is that the London bound carriageway could be made 2+2 leaving the temporary barrier in place, eg you get 4 London bound lanes in a 2+2 arrangement all at 50mph I suppose though. They could ban larger vehicles HGVs, LGVs ect from the right hand 2 lanes, then the speed limit that side could be raised to 60mph.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

lotrjw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 21:09
concrete? the temporary barrier is a metal one! so is the normal armco in the central reservation!
My point is that the London bound carriageway could be made 2+2 leaving the temporary barrier in place, eg you get 4 London bound lanes in a 2+2 arrangement all at 50mph I suppose though. They could ban larger vehicles HGVs, LGVs ect from the right hand 2 lanes, then the speed limit that side could be raised to 60mph.
There are operational risks in doing that so they're not doing it.

Also varioguard is not rated for 60 mph in many cases.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 08:49
lotrjw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 21:09
There are operational risks in doing that so they're not doing it.

Also varioguard is not rated for 60 mph in many cases.
It would have to stay at 50mph then.
What would be the risks in having a 2+2 arrangement like that?

If its a real problem then perhaps sorting a more permanent solution while the temporary barriers are up.
If a concrete barrier was installed just immediately where the old lane 3 would have been, then take away the temporary barrier, that would allow a D3 arrangement.
Then install the same on the SB carriageway but where lane 2 starts. That would only leave 2 lanes on the SB side temporaily but these would become the lorry park eventually. Then pave the old central reserve creating a new D3 between the two concrete barriers as a new SB carriageway.
Last edited by A9NWIL on Fri Apr 12, 2019 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

For all the song and dance Highways England are making about removing it, they seem to be quiet on the fact only one carriageway will benefit.