Private roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: Private roads

Post by Vierwielen »

Under certain criteria, this MoD road can be considered to be private. A few indicators are that several years ago, after a heavy fall of snow, this road was closed for three days ands when it was reopened, the snow had been cleared away, while on the altrernative road, snow could still be seen. Another indicator is that some years back, a film company hired the road, made some temporary changes to the roadmarkings and shot parts of a film there, pretending that it was in Canada!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Octaviadriver wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15
jgharston wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 00:38
WHBM wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 15:12 Just in case you think Adopted roads are maintained better, this street in Salford had trams abandoned in 1947 but still has the tracks over 70 years later
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.48181 ... 312!8i6656
Wow! I want to go there!

My nephew took me around the Guinness Brewery in Dublin - I spent most of my time photographing the disused tram tracks. :)
You'd have a field day in Wroclaw, Poland. When we visit SWMBO's nephew, there are tracks along several roads in the area where he lives.
https://goo.gl/maps/Zu63DfRASs32
I assume they're tram tracks, but if you follow them, they seem to go into industrial areas, so maybe they were for trains or were they going to tram depots? There is still an extensive tram network in the city.
If they go into industrial areas, then maybe they were used by workers goint to work!
drm567

Post by drm567 »

Most of this area is a private estate, known as Moor Park. The easiest way to see its extent is to try and move the GSV man over it. The entries are controlled by ANPR cameras and you aren't even allowed to drive to the eponymously named London Underground station.
Berk

Post by Berk »

drm567 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 22:46 Most of this area is a private estate, known as Moor Park. The easiest way to see its extent is to try and move the GSV man over it. The entries are controlled by ANPR cameras and you aren't even allowed to drive to the eponymously named London Underground station.
Oh dear, sounds like another St George’s Hill. That is also very close to (but doesn’t quite surround) Weybridge station.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 22:12
Octaviadriver wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 You'd have a field day in Wroclaw, Poland. When we visit SWMBO's nephew, there are tracks along several roads in the area where he lives.
I assume they're tram tracks, but if you follow them, they seem to go into industrial areas, so maybe they were for trains or were they going to tram depots? There is still an extensive tram network in the city.
If they go into industrial areas, then maybe they were used by workers going to work!
Sorry, I didn't put it very clearly as I meant they seem to go into the grounds of factories, such as in the link below.
https://goo.gl/maps/CTKWiEbTt1w
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Octaviadriver wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06
Vierwielen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 22:12
Octaviadriver wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 You'd have a field day in Wroclaw, Poland. When we visit SWMBO's nephew, there are tracks along several roads in the area where he lives.
If they go into industrial areas, then maybe they were used by workers going to work!
Sorry, I didn't put it very clearly as I meant they seem to go into the grounds of factories, such as in the link below.
https://goo.gl/maps/CTKWiEbTt1w
That looks like a goods line to me. Trains bringing raw materials in and finished products out.
Euan

Post by Euan »

drm567 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 22:46 Most of this area is a private estate, known as Moor Park. The easiest way to see its extent is to try and move the GSV man over it. The entries are controlled by ANPR cameras and you aren't even allowed to drive to the eponymously named London Underground station.
Well that must be something that Moor Park Station has in common with Corrour and Altnabreac stations - no public road access...
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’d wager the latter two have no roads whatsoever (or sealed roads), rather than no public roads.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:57 I’d wager the latter two have no roads whatsoever (or sealed roads), rather than no public roads.
But surely the roads in Moor Park are not public roads either given the private estate does not permit cars to use them without permission? Yes the station is accessible by road, but perhaps not by public road.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Broadly speaking, yes. I have checked it out (on Google). Unlike St George’s Hill, there don’t seem to be any gatehouses/checkpoints.

But there are barriers, and even if they appear to be fully lifted, there’s always a chance they could revert to access control.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Euan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 18:59Well that must be something that Moor Park Station has in common with Corrour and Altnabreac stations - no public road access...
Along with Newtondale Halt on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
drm567

Post by drm567 »

Just found this which explains the status of the roads which, among other info, corrects me on access to the station, http://www.moorpark1958.co.uk/roads-access-control/

I wonder whether a driver on the private roads needs a licence, insurance, tax & MOT.

(Edit 20190217@13:25)
Berk

Post by Berk »

drm567 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57
Just found this which explains the status of the roads which, among other info, corrects me on access to the station, http://www.moorpark1958.co.uk/roads-access-control/

I wonder whether a driver on the private roads needs a licence, insurance, tax & MOT.

(Edit 20190217@13:25)
Yes. I did find that Aston’s Road appears to be access-control free, which is good. Curiously, the Google car hesitated, and stopped half-way along. They usually do that if there’s an upcoming restriction.

I find Google would go only half the distance I would in my own car. Although I wouldn’t bust any restrictions, I wouldn’t be averse to going through an open barrier, or by the same token, tootling along a private drive to observe a building, or feature or similar. And then turning round.
Initiation

Post by Initiation »

There is an unadopted private cul-de-sac near me made up of perhaps 40 1950s era houses. The road is in pretty poor state with big holes and a really broken surface.

The local authority have quite usefully said they will adopt it and do the repairs but the money (a quite substantial sum) has to be either paid by every household now or at the point of sale of the house in the future. I believe everyone on the street has to sign up first so no progress.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Stevie D wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:46
Euan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 18:59Well that must be something that Moor Park Station has in common with Corrour and Altnabreac stations - no public road access...
Smallbrook Junction, Lympstone Commando...
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:33
Stevie D wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:46
Smallbrook Junction, Lympstone Commando...
Isn’t Smallbrook rather like Manulla Junction?? A rail-rail station only??
vlad

Post by vlad »

Berk wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:42 Isn’t Smallbrook rather like Manulla Junction?? A rail-rail station only??
It is indeed: it only exists to allow access between the Island Line and IoW Steam Railway.

The lack of access confused me when I was there last year and makes me wonder how often people are stranded there....
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Berk

Post by Berk »

In the case of Manulla, I don’t really see why they can’t reopen it as a halt?? It’s in a pretty remote area, it could do with a rail link of some sort.
Raykay

Post by Raykay »

drm567 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 I wonder whether a driver on the private roads needs a licence, insurance, tax & MOT.
If it is a road that the public have access, then the Road Traffic Act 1988 will apply. If the road is not a public road - a road repairable at public expense - a vehicle licence is not required.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Raykay wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 08:43
drm567 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 I wonder whether a driver on the private roads needs a licence, insurance, tax & MOT.
If it is a road that the public have access, then the Road Traffic Act 1988 will apply. If the road is not a public road - a road repairable at public expense - a vehicle licence is not required.
So does that mean that regular car insurance covers private areas that are publicly accessible? eg private roads, car parks, driveways ect? As technically you are required to have car insurance if a private area is open to the public.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'