How are road names allocated?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Isleworth1961

Re: How are road names allocated?

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Big Nick wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 16:17
Isleworth1961 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33
Big Nick wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:18 I do like the use of Tailspin Lane and Slipstream Court, and the nod to De Havilland and Sopwith is nice. :D
I couldn't find, or work out which ones they were. :?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sop ... 6665?hl=en
Thanks! I couldn't find them for looking!
owen b

Post by owen b »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:28
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:15
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:10
Your Market Hill at least seems to have a market on it.
But it's probably even flatter and further from anything resembling a decent hill.:stir: On the way home from university we used to play "Spot The Hill" where the first person to point a decent hill after nine weeks won. There wasn't one until the A1 in Rutland.
Ever been to the Netherlands? Their highest point is 323 meters above sea level, but they share that point wth the Germans and the Belgians. Apart from the hills between there and Maastricht, nothing is over 50 metres above sea level.
There are seven European countries with lower high points than the Netherlands. The three contiguous Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania can't manage higher than 318 metres between them. Full list here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... _countries
Owen
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:15 But it's probably even flatter and further from anything resembling a decent hill.:stir: On the way home from university we used to play "Spot The Hill" where the first person to point a decent hill after nine weeks won. There wasn't one until the A1 in Rutland.
There are some hills in Canbridgeshire, I used to drive up these two on my way home from Cambridge and in snow and ice there was always a chance of meeting a jacknifed HGV on them

Orwell Hill
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.14412 ... 6656?hl=en

Croydon Hill
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.12954 ... 6656?hl=en

The village I lived in was on the Greensand Ridge about 150 ft above sea level.
fchd

Post by fchd »

linuxrocks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 14:20 Clearly whoever laid out this part of Baltimore liked aeroplanes. Who wouldn't want to live on Yawmeter Drive :) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/604 ... 76.4625381
Nearer to home, there's plenty of aeroplane themed street names in St Eval near Wadebridge in Cornwall. Examples include

Lancaster Crescent
Spitfire Row
Beaufighter Avenue
Catalina Row
Shackleton Crescent

etc.

It's appropriate as the area is a former RAF base during World War II.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Shortstown, Bedfordshire: this was the Shorts factory and this was the hanger where the R101 was built. So Beauvais Square is named after the place the R101 crashed. Isn't that like naming a road near the Harland & Wolff shipyard Iceberg Street?
crb11

Post by crb11 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:15
But it's probably even flatter and further from anything resembling a decent hill.:stir: On the way home from university we used to play "Spot The Hill" where the first person to point a decent hill after nine weeks won. There wasn't one until the A1 in Rutland.
The first time I went home from uni (same one as you) it was surreal as I saw new hills everywhere in places I'd grown up in and thought of as completely flat.
[real name Colin]
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 13:44 Shortstown, Bedfordshire: this was the Shorts factory and this was the hanger where the R101 was built. So Beauvais Square is named after the place the R101 crashed. Isn't that like naming a road near the Harland & Wolff shipyard Iceberg Street?
I did my assessment as a Direct Access motorcycle instructor there by the wooden airship hangers in the 1990s. On a very windswept runway like area I had to instruct a DSA man how to stop his large and heavy BMW safely whilst he mucked about pretending to nearly fall off. I made him turn his engine off and pushed him along myself whilst shouting instructions at him.
the cheesecake man

Titty Ho, Raunds, Northamptonshire. No me neither. And notice GSV has bowdlerised the signs at the other end of the road!
the cheesecake man

Cup and Saucer, Cropredy, Oxfordshire

Very bizarre name I thought until I noticed this strange stone . The Parish Council website confirms it's the remains of a medieval cross but it's still a bizarre find in a random residential cul-de-sac.
shampooefficient

Post by shampooefficient »

Teesside Retail and Leisure Parks (sound wondrous, don't they) were built on the former Teesside racecourse. Hence the street names include Goodwood Square et al.

Thornaby has a lot of housing built atop the former aerodrome (some bits of which are still extant). There are roads named after De Havilland etc.

And Middlesbrough has two Cambridge Roads, which is irritating.