How are road names allocated?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Telstarbox

Re: How are road names allocated?

Post by Telstarbox »

Gran Canaria has the thrilling "Avenida Touroperador Thomson Holidays" (and others)

https://goo.gl/maps/BkePSfFxZEhDo1Ln7
Marzo

Post by Marzo »

Underground stations! Rats! Why did I never think of those when I was dealing with road naming? So many names to choose from.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 16:56
PhilC wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 16:51
Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:39 The street numbers on the A34 Stratford Road also reset to 1 at the Birmingham/Solihull boundary where Hall Green becomes Shirley. And the odd and even numbers again swap sides.
And interestingly, Stratford Road, Solihull has the highest house number in the UK, at 2679.
How far out is that? Hockley Heath?
Yes, it's on the left just after Spring Lane. There are details and photos on Zoopla.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

linuxrocks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 14:20 Clearly whoever laid out this part of Baltimore liked aeroplanes. Who wouldn't want to live on Yawmeter Drive :) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/604 ... 76.4625381
Considering the builders were the Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Company it's not too surprising!
They had a lot of factories in the Baltimore area (next to Martin State Airport) and providing homes for their workers was essential in 1941. Slight downside is that the hundreds of homes were prefabricated out of asbestos cement :?

I do like the use of Tailspin Lane and Slipstream Court, and the nod to De Havilland and Sopwith is nice. :D
vlad

Post by vlad »

Chelmsford has a Dickens-themed area.

Alongside roads like Copperfield Road, Oliver Way and Magwitch Close you find a couple of characters who've given their full name to the road in question, so some people have an address on Barnaby Rudge or Little Dorrit (here).
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

A lot of streets in Gander, Newfoundland have aviation connections, as the airport has been an important stop-off point for decades.

The Stockport area has a few themed estates, one which has streets named after sea birds, another after British painters & another after European cities.

Newton Heath has an estate where all the roads are named after the Manchester United players who died in the Munich air disaster.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Further options for naming your road include:

Stating the obvious: Steep Hill, Lincoln
Lying: Market Hill, Cambridge or Flat Street, Sheffield
Efficiently combining the name with restrictions: One Way Street, Sutterton
Promoting your political opinions: Rue de Brexit, Beaucaire
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 Further options for naming your road include:

However:
Steep Hill, Chobham. Flat as the proverbial pancake.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 Further options for naming your road include:

However:
:-o Just like my Market Hill example!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:05
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54

However:
Your Market Hill at least seems to have a market on it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:10
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 However:
But it's probably even flatter and further from anything resembling a decent hill.:stir: On the way home from university we used to play "Spot The Hill" where the first person to point a decent hill after nine weeks won. There wasn't one until the A1 in Rutland.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Lying: Flat Street, Sheffield
That's Sheffield. Compared with other roads it is flat. :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:15
But it's probably even flatter and further from anything resembling a decent hill.:stir: On the way home from university we used to play "Spot The Hill" where the first person to point a decent hill after nine weeks won. There wasn't one until the A1 in Rutland.
Ever been to the Netherlands? Their highest point is 323 meters above sea level, but they share that point wth the Germans and the Belgians. Apart from the hills between there and Maastricht, nothing is over 50 metres above sea level.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:28
Ever been to the Netherlands? Their highest point is 323 meters above sea level, but they share that point wth the Germans and the Belgians. Apart from the hills between there and Maastricht, nothing is over 50 metres above sea level.
The American Mid West from Texas to the Canadian prairies must be even more dramatic in terms of flatness.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

RichardA626 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 22:45 The Stockport area has a few themed estates, one which has streets named after sea birds, another after British painters & another after European cities.
Bosden Farm, I assume? I remember my very early days in the Schedules Office at Stockport, and being mildly amused (yet slightly horrified) that nobody there knew that Turnstones, Shearwaters or Sanderlings were birds.
RichardA626 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 22:45 Newton Heath has an estate where all the roads are named after the Manchester United players who died in the Munich air disaster.
I didn't know that - my football allegiance is with the other lot :wink: . It took a bit of finding on Google Maps, which doesn't show all the named streets, nor are they all shown on GSV. Late 1970s or early 1980s vintage, at a guess?
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Big Nick wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:18 I do like the use of Tailspin Lane and Slipstream Court, and the nod to De Havilland and Sopwith is nice. :D
I couldn't find, or work out which ones they were. :?
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

The Mackworth Estate in Derby has all but one of the roads named after areas, suburbs or well-known roads in the London area.
the cheesecake man

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:28

Only Amsterdam, but I did spend three years at university in the Strange Land Of East Anglia. The Fens are similar (and of course were drained by a Dutchman). Many people find them boring but I find them interesting and majestic (obviously this partly due to living in Sheffield). The only "hills" are the river banks. There are few contour lines except 0m. Ely Cathedral is only 20m above sea level. The first time I went north of Ely towards Littleport I wondered "where's the river gone?" then realised "it's up there!" :-o Sometimes I came home at the end of term, walked up a hill and thought "oh dear I haven't used that muscle for a while".

I remember a question in one of those silly newspaper columns "Do Dutch driving tests include a hill start?". The reply was "Yes: they've got an artificial hill to do them on"! :lol:
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 09:12
RichardA626 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 22:45 The Stockport area has a few themed estates, one which has streets named after sea birds, another after British painters & another after European cities.
Bosden Farm, I assume? I remember my very early days in the Schedules Office at Stockport, and being mildly amused (yet slightly horrified) that nobody there knew that Turnstones, Shearwaters or Sanderlings were birds.
RichardA626 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 22:45 Newton Heath has an estate where all the roads are named after the Manchester United players who died in the Munich air disaster.
I didn't know that - my football allegiance is with the other lot :wink: . It took a bit of finding on Google Maps, which doesn't show all the named streets, nor are they all shown on GSV. Late 1970s or early 1980s vintage, at a guess?
A pair of twins who were friends of my sister lived on the Bosden Farm estate.

It was by chance I found the estate in Newton Heath, from an address I saw at work.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33
Big Nick wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:18 I do like the use of Tailspin Lane and Slipstream Court, and the nod to De Havilland and Sopwith is nice. :D
I couldn't find, or work out which ones they were. :?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sop ... 6665?hl=en