Tigertails without lane drop

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ColinB

Tigertails without lane drop

Post by ColinB »

By which I mean motorway exits with two diverges from lane 1 to the same destination e.g. M26 exit from M20 (TD22/06 layout B1). Why do we have them, are they really useful? Somebody must think so because they are proposed within both the M25 J10 and M42 J6 projects.

I know TD22/06 recommend them in some situations where the diverge flow is between 1350 and 1800/h (Fig. 2/5MW). However, this is only because it assumes a one lane slip road has a lower capacity than a lane on the mainline or a two lane slip (1350/h cf. 1800/h), so a second exit route is needed. But this cannot be true. If 1800/h can travel along in lane 1 there is nothing to stop all 1800 diverging onto the slip road. I can see that at a busy exit (i.e. diverge flow greater than 1800/h or less if some through traffic remains in lane 1) the second diverge could allow traffic from lane 2 to swoop across. But clearly this is not the design intent. If you wanted traffic from lane 2 to exit you would have a lane drop and diverge (layout D1).

So can anyone explain why you would ever want a B1 layout?
Bomag

Re: Tigertails without lane drop

Post by Bomag »

It's to maintain diverge capacity. If you have a single diverge leading to a two lane slip road then drivers who diverge at the start of the taper and go into lane 2 of the slip road and drivers who exit just befor the nose heading for lane 1 of the slip road reduce capacity. If there is no need for signifcant weaving on the slip road then it is less likely to cause conflict in the diverge taper.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Last edited by the cheesecake man on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

A lot of the junctions on the widened M1 through Notts/Derbyshire feature these kind of tiger tails. Certainly J26 and 27 have them.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

How much use does the second exit actually get though given the acres of hatching will put the hard of thinking off?

M6 J34 has this layout now and most people seem to leave at the first exit lane and ignore the second completely.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

In the absence of a lane drop for the first exit, surely this kind of layout just encourages poor driving and cutting in from the middle lane at the last moment to take the second exit?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I'm willing to believe it does increase capacity, but by a very small margin. 'Blood out of a stone' is the DfT roads mantra, after all.

With a blank canvas and a blank cheque, a very wide deceleration lane like M56/M6 would be better, surely?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 20:09 In the absence of a lane drop for the first exit, surely this kind of layout just encourages poor driving and cutting in from the middle lane at the last moment to take the second exit?
If the exit slip has two lanes, then mainline traffic from both lanes 1 & 2 need to be able to access it - mainline lane 1 takes the 1st exit lane giving mainline lane 2 chance to move over into lane 1 and then take the 2nd exit lane.
Lifelong motorhead
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 20:09 In the absence of a lane drop for the first exit, surely this kind of layout just encourages poor driving and cutting in from the middle lane at the last moment to take the second exit?
Admittedly I used to do this to avoid the pootlers using the first lane exiting J26, but I was turning right at the junction anyway. You had to be aware of those who'd drift across to the right when the two lanes met however.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 20:52
If the exit slip has two lanes, then mainline traffic from both lanes 1 & 2 need to be able to access it - mainline lane 1 takes the 1st exit lane giving mainline lane 2 chance to move over into lane 1 and then take the 2nd exit lane.
I don't think that's the designer's intention. Surely that would only be the intention if the first diverge was a lane drop, leaving lane 2 as the new mainline left lane. I'd call the practise poor driving, as suggested by Southwest Phillip, because you may be in conflict with a stream of lane 1 traffic that has not exited but is continuing ahead. However, this might not be too bad if there is sufficient distance between diverge 1 and diverge 2.
ravenbluemoon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 01:07
Admittedly I used to do this to avoid the pootlers using the first lane exiting J26, but I was turning right at the junction anyway. You had to be aware of those who'd drift across to the right when the two lanes met however.
I think the 'pootlers' still have a right to safely move ("drift" …?) to the right lane of the off-ramp, even though they have taken the first diverge. And how many seconds have you shaved off your trip time?
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Peter Freeman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 20:52
I don't think that's the designer's intention. Surely that would only be the intention if the first diverge was a lane drop, leaving lane 2 as the new mainline left lane. I'd call the practise poor driving, as suggested by Southwest Phillip, because you may be in conflict with a stream of lane 1 traffic that has not exited but is continuing ahead. However, this might not be too bad if there is sufficient distance between diverge 1 and diverge 2.
It works well enough for me - the mainline traffic in lane 1 thins out enough and the first exit slip to make it an easy, safe manouevre from lane 2 > lane 1 > 2nd exit slip - especially if the queue backs up in the mainline lane 1.

No point having 2 exit lanes if everyone has to use one slip lane.
Lifelong motorhead
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Peter Freeman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44
ravenbluemoon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 01:07
I think the 'pootlers' still have a right to safely move ("drift" …?) to the right lane of the off-ramp, even though they have taken the first diverge. And how many seconds have you shaved off your trip time?
Drift: Moving from the first lane to the second without using mirror or signals. I don't dispute them not having a "right" to change lane, but those looking beyond their bonnet can see what the road is doing, and can plan accordingly for the least conflict.

In peak hours choosing the correct lane to turn right could save in the order of minutes due to the volume turning left in a single lane. Or saves a risky manoeuvre trying to change lanes from a static queue into moving traffic.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

But couldn't you gain most of that queue-avoiding advantage by staying in lane 1, passing by the first diverge, and entering the second diverge for your lane-2 queue on the off-ramp? Yes, you'd still crawl for a while if the queue reached onto the mainline, but after that you'd pass a large proportion of the 'pootlers' simply by being on the right side of the tiger tail.

Not having actually seen the situation there, I may well be misjudging it.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

It could be done if not too busy, and a reasonable judgement could be made while driving in lane one of the motorway as to how much was turning off. Given the lane discipline of most D4 motorways, the majority of the non-HGV will be turning off, so once they have, there's often a nice free run to the second diverge. I'm not of the type to swerve across from lane 2 after the 100m countdown marker ;)

Much prefer that method to having to change lanes from a standing start later. It's not like I'm unsafely blasting along the slip road, but others do.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Peter Freeman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44I think the 'pootlers' still have a right to safely move ("drift" …?) to the right lane of the off-ramp, even though they have taken the first diverge. And how many seconds have you shaved off your trip time?
The reason for having two exit choices is to increase the capacity of the exit, which means they must be anticipating some drivers will take the second exit, and probably from lane 2 (or else the capacity of the exit is still limited to the capacity of a single lane minus all the drivers in lane 1 and going straight on.

The sensible thing for drivers to do, if they know they need to be in the right-hand lane on the slip-road, is to take the second exit so that they are in the correct lane straight off, and then they won't need to change lanes on the slip-road. Some junctions indicate this on the signs from the mainline, but not all do.