Shrewsbury North West Relief Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Shrewsbury North West Relief Road

Post by A303Chris »

This appeared this morning in my Gov.UK email and it is £54 million from the DfT for the North West Shrewsbury Bypass which would link Battlefield with the new short Oxon Link Road between the A5 and B4380.

Unlike the Oxon Link approved a couple of years ago the rest of the route will be 60mph, but £54 million does seem low.

Also not knowing the area that well , apart from getting frustrated with the roundabouts on the A5, will this link take much traffic of the A5 and once completed will the whole set of bypasses become a ring road. I take the north western section will take the A5124 number the same as the Battlefield Link and will it be a primary route.

Couldn't find an existing post, that's why I started a new one
The M25 - The road to nowhere
fras

Re: Shrewsbury North West Relief Road

Post by fras »

Coming from the west to get to the A53 towards Shawbury has always been a complete PITA, but I pioneered a route via Montfort Bridge, Forton Heath and Leaton. This brings you to the western end of the existing A5124 which then takes you to the A53. I prefer this to going all the way round the southern bypass with its tedious roundabouts and traffic lights and, of course, traffic itself.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 09:36 I take the north western section will take the A5124 number the same as the Battlefield Link and will it be a primary route.
Is there any reason, if Primary, why it couldn't be a western extension of the A53 (incorporating the existing A5124 stretch)?

See also: Previous Discussion
Euan

Post by Euan »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 13:21
A303Chris wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 09:36 I take the north western section will take the A5124 number the same as the Battlefield Link and will it be a primary route.
Is there any reason, if Primary, why it couldn't be a western extension of the A53 (incorporating the existing A5124 stretch)?

See also: Previous Discussion
I can't see any reason why the route couldn't take the A53 number - the A5 and the A49 were rerouted when the currently existing parts of the bypass were built. I suspect that since the initial stretch of the road was numbered A5124 they would not want to replace any current signage.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
si404

Post by si404 »

Euan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 22:12I can't see any reason why the route couldn't take the A53 number - the A5 and the A49 were rerouted when the currently existing parts of the bypass were built. I suspect that since the initial stretch of the road was numbered A5124 they would not want to replace any current signage.
If the NWRR is to be a primary route, surely it would make no sense for having white signs on the short bit between A528 and A49, so they'd be changing them anyway!
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

..That would almost make a complete circular of Shrewsbury.. a mini M25 or M62 :D
vlad

Post by vlad »

AAndy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 ..That would almost make a complete circular of Shrewsbury.. a mini M25 or M62 :D
I don't remember much S2 on the M25. :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

vlad wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 20:27
AAndy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 ..That would almost make a complete circular of Shrewsbury.. a mini M25 or M62 :D
I don't remember the M62 being a circle, even when it was all in one bit
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Ambosc79 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 17:47
vlad wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 20:27
I don't remember the M62 being a circle, even when it was all in one bit
When the M60 opened in 1998, it was not a complete circle either...
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Are they ever going to improve the Dobbies junction? That's always been a nightmare at rush hour.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Probably more like an A64 and A1237 round York :roll:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Euan

Post by Euan »

PeterA5145 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50
Probably more like an A64 and A1237 round York :roll:
I reckon even worse than the A64 around York, considering how many at-grade roundabouts there already are on the A5 around the south of Shrewsbury...
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I'm happy this is going ahead, but looking at the plans it looks like it'll be a classic 'botch up' job rather than a simple, freeflowing D2 :( .

What's proposed will help, but a single carriageway road with at-grade junctions isn't exactly going to provide the fast link around the top of Shrewsbury that's required.
Paul237 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 Are they ever going to improve the Dobbies junction? That's always been a nightmare at rush hour.
I think it's slightly improved with the traffic lights on there - just down to the fact that it's now possible to get onto the roundabout. However, it's caused heavy traffic on the A5 approaches which it didn't previously. On the downside, it's provided next to no benefit for traffic entering from Dobbies as the flow is almost as continuous as it was before the traffic lights, thanks to it's proximity to the A49.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
tomuk

Post by tomuk »

This is back out for consultation again. Then full planning app later in the year.

A number of changes:
  • Covers the whole route again Churncote A5 to Battlefield A528 - previously first Oxon section around housing development was split off as separate project
  • First section now 60mph rather than 50mph
  • Welshpool Road no longer disconnected at A5
  • Little Oxon roundabout replaced by bridge
  • River Severn bridge shorter and steeper w/crawler lane.
  • Battlefield/Ellesmere roundabout now a dumbell
  • No lay-byes/picnic area.
  • Lot more in cuttings previous version on embankments
  • Pedestrian/Cycle path simplified to pavement only

Youtube Visualisation:

https://youtu.be/lnAo866WXgs

Link to consultation

https://shropshire.gov.uk/get-involved/ ... tion-2020/
IAN

Post by IAN »

Sounds like the scheme has been improved rather than watered down - somewhat unusual for a road scheme these days!

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The video looks nice apart from the shadows which makes the sun shine from the north. A classic schoolboy error or maybe it's supposed to be filmed late in the evening on June 21st near sunset but still the sun is too far north to be realistic.

As for the road I'm really impressed. This is a local authority scheme after all. Nice to see a crawler lane and NSL. My only concern is the A5 roundabout which will have five arms so expect traffic lights before long unless the council can persuade HE to build a flyover. Overall it looks like a proper bypass, not a development access road to encourage tin boxes.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
fras

Post by fras »

So 75% of it will be 50 mph. I suppose it'll be quicker than going round via Leaton, Forton Heath, and Montford Bridge. So why not NSL throughout ? It seems that all councils are absolutely terrified of building any new road at NSL.
tomuk

Post by tomuk »

fras wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 19:57 So 75% of it will be 50 mph. I suppose it'll be quicker than going round via Leaton, Forton Heath, and Montford Bridge. So why not NSL throughout ? It seems that all councils are absolutely terrified of building any new road at NSL.
No all of it will be NSL. Under the previous version the first 25% (A5 Churncote to B4380 Hollyhead Rd), the Oxon Link Road was to be 50mph
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Shame it seems to be missing half decent cycle facilities.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Jeni wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 21:48 Shame it seems to be missing half decent cycle facilities.
Indeed, it sounds like they've removed them.

So that's another load of development going to be slums in 20 years when ICE vehicles are started to be phased out and nothing quick and simple that doesn't involve privatised bus operators exists to replace them. Slow clap there once again.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck