Roadside Gibbets

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Altnabreac

Roadside Gibbets

Post by Altnabreac »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2016 19:50
crb11 wrote:One more for the list: Caxton Gibbet (A1198/A428 roundabout). The gibbet has been gone 200 years, but there was a pub there with the same name until relatively recently (about 2000 I think).
The original gibbet may have gone - but I recall a replica being there in the 1960's, complete with cage.

According to Wikipedia "There is a modern replica which can be seen in photographs dating back to 1900, the erection of which may have been connected with the nearby inn of the same name.
Found this old post linked from the Testo's Roundabout discussion and made me wonder how many roadside gibbets there are that still remain?

Winter's Gibbet near Elsdon, Northumberland is complete with a replica wooden head:
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.2114292 ... 312!8i6656

Any others?
the cheesecake man

Re: Roadside Gibbets

Post by the cheesecake man »

ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Halifax Gibbet, on Gibbet Street (!), is reasonably well known, though only the base is original.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Caxton Gibbet is a rather well known example but is as has been said unfortunately a 19th century replica built by the local publican as a tourist attraction.

linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

The Bilstone Gibbet, which some thoughtless person has decided to park in front of.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.63722 ... 312!8i6656

Here is an article on it http://www.weddingtoncastle.co.uk/the-b ... -post.html

I have my own photo of it in my album (remember film?)
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

I've heard there was one near Tring, which was used for hanging a notorious highwayman, whose ghost is supposed to haunt the crossroads.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Should be a link to the Brexit thread?
Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

Not a gibbet - but I know people think it is:

It's a quintain or tilting post, in Offham, Kent. If you need to practice jousting (let's face it, who doesn't?), Offham, Kent is the place to go.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Moore_O wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 13:08 Not a gibbet - but I know people think it is:

It's a quintain or tilting post, in Offham, Kent. If you need to practice jousting (let's face it, who doesn't?), Offham, Kent is the place to go.
Possibly used for witches as well?
Lifelong motorhead
Moore_O

Post by Moore_O »

I admit I haven't actually had a close up look at this, but I believe it pivots about a vertical axis - so would be no use for ducking alleged witches.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Moore_O wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 14:08 I admit I haven't actually had a close up look at this, but I believe it pivots about a vertical axis - so would be no use for ducking alleged witches.
The lack of any body of water to dunk them into would also be a bit of an issue :)
Moore_O

Post by Moore_O »

Indeed - although that could have been filled in, I suppose.

Are there any extant ducking stools? I know of stocks (although they might be a pillory) in Eyhorne Street village, Kent... they're definitely reproduction but don't know why they're there - presumably on the site of an original set.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Moore_O wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 16:09 Indeed - although that could have been filled in, I suppose.

Are there any extant ducking stools? I know of stocks (although they might be a pillory) in Eyhorne Street village, Kent... they're definitely reproduction but don't know why they're there - presumably on the site of an original set.
There is a ducking stool - a very impressive one - in Leominster, Herefordshire. It's kept in the Priory Church nowadays, and was last used in 1809.
Note the folding ducking arm, with the seat into which the miscreant would be strapped at the other end. Note also that it is wheeled, so would be stored indoors until needed. While it looks as though it is in working order, I think we can assume that it will remain a museum piece.

WRT stocks vs pillory - you would be sat down with your ankles through the holes for the stocks, while your head and arms would be locked in while you stood up for the pillory, that being much more uncomfortable, I imagine.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

There is a replica ducking stool on the River Avon in Christchurch. I suspect their MP might think it is still in daily use :D .

It almost made up for not being able to see into the yard where the trolleybus turntable now resides. Almost.
vlad

Post by vlad »

There's one here in St George's, Bermuda. It's still in regular use to punish women found guilty of gossiping.

(It's a tourist attraction, honest!)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 08:50 There is a replica ducking stool on the River Avon in Christchurch. I suspect their MP might think it is still in daily use :D .

It almost made up for not being able to see into the yard where the trolleybus turntable now resides. Almost.
Is that Jacob Rees Moggs area then?
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

There's a roadside set of stocks in Havering-atte-Bower. Pretty sure they were rebuilt some years back.
According to Wikipedia :? the pond across the road was used for ducking witches. I prefer the idea these were actually used for watering cattle and washing down horse and coaches passing through.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.61584 ... 8192?hl=en
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Big Nick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 There's a roadside set of stocks in Havering-atte-Bower. Pretty sure they were rebuilt some years back.
According to Wikipedia :? the pond across the road was used for ducking witches. I prefer the idea these were actually used for watering cattle and washing down horse and coaches passing through.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.61584 ... 8192?hl=en
Multi-purpose probably!
Lifelong motorhead
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 21:52
FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 08:50 There is a replica ducking stool on the River Avon in Christchurch. I suspect their MP might think it is still in daily use :D .

Is that Jacob Rees Moggs area then?
Worse - Sir Christopher Chope :(