Most underrated and most overrated roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Most underrated and most overrated roads

Post by Chris Bertram »

Berk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 23:41Why can’t you get very long chains of cars (a dozen, two dozen or more) to keep the lorries out of lane 2??
When an HGV indicates and starts moving over almost straightaway, the self-preservation instinct kicks in, and the lorry gets to move over whether anyone else likes it nor not.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A5 Edgware Rd, being non primary, could tempt some motorists wanting to go from central London to the M1 over the A41, thinking it could be quieter due to being non primary, but it's an elongated High St with endless traffic lights and delivery vehicles.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28
Berk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 23:41Why can’t you get very long chains of cars (a dozen, two dozen or more) to keep the lorries out of lane 2??
When an HGV indicates and starts moving over almost straightaway, the self-preservation instinct kicks in, and the lorry gets to move over whether anyone else likes it nor not.
You have to floor it a little, and move into the space before the lorry can even turn inwards. It’s very quick, easy and safe to do. And means the lorry has to stop exactly where it is. :twisted:
Berk

Post by Berk »

KeithW wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 09:47
Berk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 23:41 Would it even hurt if there was a new regulation banning HGV’s from lane 2 unless the carriageway had 3 or more lanes?? :?:
In a word yes.

While it would be initially welcomed by car and LGV drivers it would mean delays for HGV drivers which is a problem not only because the slower speed, which would be set by the slowest vehicle on the road which on an all purpose D2 could be a tractor, but because they run out of driving hours. This in turn delays their loads which in an economy increasingly based on just in time delivery would be bad news. It would also raise freight rates which affects us all. Many of the strategic freight routes such as the A1, A11, A14, A19 , A55, A30, A38 are D2.

A secondary effect on busy routes would be push all cars and LGV's into lane 2 where once again the slowest vehicle would set the pace.
That happens anyway on D2’s. I’ve observed it many times on my way to/from work, and on the A1 and elsewhere. It’s not much better than being held by a lorry, granted, but at least it doesn’t usually take as long to resolve - unless lane 1 is completely blocked by lorries (A34).

The driver’s hours problem is something that haulage companies need to come to terms with. When many of their contracts are for national retailers (supermarkets), I don’t think the likes of Tesco will be amused if their carriage costs increase suddenly (except matters outside of their control, the price of fuel and so on).

And if a firm can’t manage itself profitably, there’s always consolidation.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

KeithW wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 17:02 The most overrated road in my opinion has to be the A30 from Penzance to Lands End. There is nothing very much wrong with the road but the destination is a collection of tacky third rate attractions designed to rip off the grockles to the maximum extent possible. They even demand payment for taking a photograph at the sign post ! If you want to see the real west Cornish coast head to Cape Cornwall instead and on your way back take a couple of side trips to the Levant Mine and Pendeen lighthouse.
I always thought it was Emmets in Cornwall - Emmet being the Cornish word for ant... We used to stay at a farm quite close to the Merry Maidens stone circle south of St. Buryan, This meant we could drive the far superior B3315 along the southern coast. Fond memories of blasting along that road in my first car - a Rover 414 - fully laden and with the (very encouraging) step kids in the back I could still make good progress along there! Honourable mention to the B3306 from Pendeen to St. Ives - provided you set off early enough to avoid the German coach tours, but not early enough to encounter milking time...

I'll second the M54, but for an additional reason - it's so boring! Most of it seems to be in a cutting. Ditto for the M180, which is just in flat nothingness. Yes, it's empty, and yes, I've done some silly speeds along there in the past - but it's a favourite haunt for the traffic plod for that very reason, so best behaviour these days.

Controversial - but I've never really been a fan of the A303... :shock:
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Berk

Post by Berk »

I love it on the A303 when you can get up to speed!! Best road ever. :D
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Chris Bertram wrote:In fairness, it's a good route to use evenings and weekends. But it can't cope with its peak usage pattern. It needs widening from M6 to J5 at least, but I doubt this will happen until after I've ceased to benefit from it.
I quite enjoy using the M54 but then again, I'll admit that I can probably count on both hands the amount of times I've used it during rush hour over the years. My main usage of it is off-peak and other than the occasional HGV 'elephant race', it's usually relatively clear from my own experiences. I can imagine it being rather unpleasant and in need of a third lane at rush hour.

The parallel A5 can be a bit of a mixed-bag (certainly between the A41 and M6). There's been times it's been clear and a joy to use. A nice alternative to the M54. However, there's also been times I've been stuck in a line of traffic behind an HGV... It's the luck of the draw.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Roavin

Post by Roavin »

The most underrated road would probably be the A712 through the Galloway Forest. The Scottish Southern Uplands seem to be the only remaining scenic area nowadays that isn't totally **** ing clogged with traffic and visitors as it is rather unknown by the majority of the public. I would reccommend all the A7xx roads up there, but the A712 for me is the most breathtaking.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A6 from Kendal to Penrith, nearly as quick as the M6 and you can dream about what Shap Summit used to be like 50 years ago before the M6.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:46 The A6 from Kendal to Penrith, nearly as quick as the M6 and you can dream about what Shap Summit used to be like 50 years ago before the M6.
Not convinced about the A6 being competitive time wise at all but it is a great run if you're bored of the motorway.

Much of the old signing from the 60s and 70s lingers on too.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02
Glenn A wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:46 The A6 from Kendal to Penrith, nearly as quick as the M6 and you can dream about what Shap Summit used to be like 50 years ago before the M6.
Not convinced about the A6 being competitive time wise at all but it is a great run if you're bored of the motorway.
You can still lose a few minutes at the traffic lights at Eamont Bridge. It makes you wonder how long the queues at Eamont Bridge must have been 50 years ago before the Penrith bypass was opened.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 13:23
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02
You can still lose a few minutes at the traffic lights at Eamont Bridge. It makes you wonder how long the queues at Eamont Bridge must have been 50 years ago before the Penrith bypass was opened.
I'd imagine Eamont Bridge was glad to see the M6 arrive. Also this was the historic boundary between Cumberland and Westmorland.