Whitehaven- Sheffield, the more scenic route

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Whitehaven- Sheffield, the more scenic route

Post by Glenn A »

I was visiting a g/f in Sheffield 17 years ago and rather than take the stressful A66/A1/M1 route, or A66/A1/A1M/M18/A57, I did it the alternative and quieter way using the A66/ A591/A65/A629/ A616/A61. It took about 4 hours, but I felt far less drained than if I'd used the M1 and A1, which was still mostly D2 then. Also the scenery in the Lake District and the Pennines was fantastic and the ring road in Huddersfield was deserted.
Norfolktolancashire

Re: Whitehaven- Sheffield, the more scenic route

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 16:09 I was visiting a g/f in Sheffield 17 years ago and rather than take the stressful A66/A1/M1 route, or A66/A1/A1M/M18/A57, I did it the alternative and quieter way using the A66/ A591/A65/A629/ A616/A61. It took about 4 hours, but I felt far less drained than if I'd used the M1 and A1, which was still mostly D2 then. Also the scenery in the Lake District and the Pennines was fantastic and the ring road in Huddersfield was deserted.
Thirty years ago I used to travel from Norfolk to Lancashire every weekend and found that using some of the Pennine roads quicker than the motorways. The A1/M62/M61 route goes north then southwest then north again so not direct at all.
Instead I alternated with using the A57 from the A1, then either across the Pennines via the A626 or the Huddersfield ring road between the M1 and M62. Sometimes I was adventurous and went through the Valley route via Todmorden.
These routes, as you found out, break the journey and avoid the stop-start traffic on the motorways. The A65 between the M6 and Ikley is very scenic.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

If you want a scenic drive over the moors from Huddersfield, use the A640 to Buckstones Moss, B6114 over Scammonden Bridge to Barkisland, turn left onto an unclassified road then join the B6113 to Ripponden, A58 to the summit at Blackstone Edge, B6138 through Cragg Vale to Mytholmroyd, A646 to Hebden Bridge, A6033 through Pecket Well and Oxenhope to rejoin the A629 at Ingrow.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 21:58 If you want a scenic drive over the moors from Huddersfield, use the A640 to Buckstones Moss, B6114 over Scammonden Bridge to Barkisland, turn left onto an unclassified road then join the B6113 to Ripponden, A58 to the summit at Blackstone Edge, B6138 through Cragg Vale to Mytholmroyd, A646 to Hebden Bridge, A6033 through Pecket Well and Oxenhope to rejoin the A629 at Ingrow.
When I was learning to drive a car, in many of my lessons I used the first part of that route (Outlane roundabout to Barkisland) to practise high-speed driving, and navigating difficult/bumpy roads like the moorland section of B6114.
Euan

Post by Euan »

If I was crossing the Pennines starting in the west from Manchester and I had plenty of time in my hands then I would definitely consider using one of the more scenic mountainous routes such as the A635 or the A640, rather than the M62. Although as with any detour it would depend on the destination on the other side of the Pennines.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The journey from Skipton to Halifax is very scenic and not far from where the Brontes lived. Also traffic levels aren't very high so yoi can enjoy the drive.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 16:09 I was visiting a g/f in Sheffield 17 years ago and rather than take the stressful A66/A1/M1 route, or A66/A1/A1M/M18/A57, I did it the alternative and quieter way using the A66/ A591/A65/A629/ A616/A61. It took about 4 hours, but I felt far less drained than if I'd used the M1 and A1, which was still mostly D2 then. Also the scenery in the Lake District and the Pennines was fantastic and the ring road in Huddersfield was deserted.
When I was working at Sellafield and staying at Cockermouth that was the route I took from Sheffield. Much more relaxing and interesting than the motorway and A66 over the hills.
(just checked the maps...)
When working in Preston I often came back via the A635. After one overnight job in Burnley I came back via Todmorden and Hebden Bridge at 3am on 21st December!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

jgharston wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 01:59
When I was working at Sellafield and staying at Cockermouth that was the route I took from Sheffield. Much more relaxing and interesting than the motorway and A66 over the hills.
(just checked the maps...)
When working in Preston I often came back via the A635. After one overnight job in Burnley I came back via Todmorden and Hebden Bridge at 3am on 21st December!
Far more interesting and a bit more Sabristic. Also last year, and being aware of the roadworks on the A1058, I used the " bottom" route from North Shields to the A69, ie the A187, A186, Newcastle Quayside, A695, A1. Must admit not using Blaydon Bridge for several years was nervewracking, but it was interesting to see the former shipyard sites in Wallsend, Brough Park, the Tyne bridges, and the redeveloped Scotswood.