Bridges over ,well, nothing.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B1018 A120 M11

Re: Bridges over ,well, nothing.

Post by B1018 A120 M11 »

If only there were some on-line facility nearby that collected old OS maps all in one place to check this out, etc etc... :D
Calling at Wickham Bishops, Langford & Ulting, Maldon West, Barons Lane Halt, Cold Norton, Stow St Mary, and Woodham Ferrers...
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

The layout is better shown on the map referred to by Achmelvic
Seeing the route, it's easy for me to work out where the link up was ,as I've been on track in that area more than a few times.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

There are some places where a canal was straightened & left a weed filled trench with stone bridges over it in the middle of the countryside.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Southport Pier goes over pretty much everything except the sea.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6531995 ... 704!8i4352
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

KeithW wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 09:52 Some of them are actually quite magnificent and have been reused as part of long distance footpaths such as this one which used to carry the Whitby to Scarborough line high over the Esk.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47492 ... 2736?hl=en
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47351 ... 4352?hl=en
The Cullen viaducts are also pretty impressive, and now just carry a foot/cycle path.
Reading

Post by Reading »

Lots of these in places like Devon/Cornwall/Derbyshire where there was large scale Victorian mineral extraction as the value of the goods carried was enough to justify rail lines/canals which disappeared when the mine/quarry shut. In recent years many have become cycle routes - some requiring really quite major engineering works to reopen - like here near Tavistock https://goo.gl/maps/HGH1bbCi1pWVQFCn9 if you follow that line you will find plenty of bridge stubs etc.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jimboLL wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 13:32 Southport Pier goes over pretty much everything except the sea.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6531995 ... 704!8i4352

Much of that is to do with the fact that land has been reclaimed from the old beach area and used for Marine Drive and Ocean Plaza area, the sea front used to be along the B5245 - Promenade Drive. The fact the old Pier Head burned down didnt help either of course.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

B4444 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 19:56 Waiting for the IBM access road that never came. IBM got tired of waiting and has gone.
The construction work is Portsmouth's north western flood defences.
Well the IBM UK HQ is still in Portsmouth but most of their facilities were sold off when they got out of the small computer manufacturing business, Their machines were overpriced but IBM did not want to be seen as being in the cut price so for several years the same machines were being sold under other names by PC World and Dixons/Currys at a heavy discount. Almost the whole of North Harbour was occupied by IBM as well as the big disc drive manufacturing facility at Havant on the Langstone Technology Park which was sold to Seagate.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 06:57 Also there is the bridge which carries nothing over the M6Toll.

The canal might get there one day.
Here is an update on this from the charity website, looks like the costs are an issue.

https://www.lhcrt.org.uk/news/news_Jan14_2019.html
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

The Treffry Viaduct near Luxulyan is a favourite of mine. History is here. The last time I went the aqueduct part had finally given up the ghost and it was dry underneath the trackbed. It probably has not been maintained for a hundred years and so it was doing quite well to be still working as such until the 1990s. The viaduct itslef seems very sturdy and I bet it could last another hundred years without any maintenance.

Much more locally, I have reported that the bridge over the old Mid Kent Railway line to Addiscombe is closed for repairs in conjunction with the next door bridge over the old South Eastern Railway line (now tramlink line) between Blackhorse Road and Addiscombe. It's a bridge over only a linear "railway park" now, but its still needed to get the road over the big cutting that remains. Its shame that TFL and Croydon council couldn't get their joint act together earlier.
steve618

Post by steve618 »

There was also this one

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=473567 ... 60859&lm=0

Not a disused railway over a road but a disused road over a road. Demolished in the 1980s, but it led to Heckfield Place. I remember it fifty years ago, and so overgrown that it must have gone out of use before that. It's marked on the older OS maps, but there seem to be no pictures.
Steve
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

steve618 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 19:40 It's marked on the older OS maps, but there seem to be no pictures.
Like on several of the ones on SABRE Maps, for example.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

steve618

Post by steve618 »

Absolutely. How did you create the link?
Steve
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

steve618 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 21:05 Absolutely. How did you create the link?
You click the button marked "Link"...

:wink:

(I'm actually being serious rather than sarcastic, that is literally what you need to do!)
link.JPG
link.JPG (18.89 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

steve618

Post by steve618 »

Thanks. I missed that.
Steve
martin2345uk

Post by martin2345uk »

And for completeness, here is a disused road bridge over a railway line :D

Oh and a link to Sabre Maps showing before the A12 killed it :)
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

There was one built on the A9 Evanton Bypass for a planned spur from the Railway line to the Industrial Estate. Of course it was never built!

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@57.6 ... .71p,1.56z
IanRB

Post by IanRB »

Another one here on the A167 just west of Durham:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.7 ... ,-9.54p,1z

I think it was intended as access to a new housing estate, but so far one which hasn't been built.
Viator

Post by Viator »

OLD GIT wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 21:47 The layout is better shown on the map referred to by Achmelvic.
Yes, this thread has been extremely worth while in throwing up that link from Achmelvic. Many thanks to both of you, A. and O.G.
Rail Map Online is very good at providing a graphical index and the panoptic view both geographically and historically (especially in the case of the little works lines etc. that came and went over time).
As has been intimated elsewhere, our own Sabremaps are then very useful for following up the detail. But you've got to know where to start looking first!
Veloel

Post by Veloel »

A1080 Westbury Avenue has a bridge over nothing near Turnpike Lane tube station - there used to be a railway line for trains from Liverpool Street between Seven Sisters and Wood Green; you can clearly see the gaps in the road network on a map. If Crossrail 2 goes ahead, the bridge will once again carry the road above a railway line, but the trains will be running underground! The New Southgate branch is planned to pretty much follow the exact same alignment as the old surface branch line, just below the surface.