M6 South > M5 Slip - Reduction To 1 Lane + Zip Merging

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AAndy

M6 South > M5 Slip - Reduction To 1 Lane + Zip Merging

Post by AAndy »

Does anybody know why the most used Slip, that from the M6 onto the M5, has been reduced to 1 lane... and the M6 North slip onto the M5 is increased to 2 lanes?

It seems madness that capacity has been reduced (as it was, 2 lanes from M6 South with 1 + 1 merge from M6 north). Now traffic sometimes comes to a standstill on the M6 South with vehicles queing to merge into the 1 lane.
Last edited by AAndy on Thu May 23, 2019 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
SouthWest Philip

Re: M6 South > M5 Slip - Reduction To 1 Lane

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Part of the eccentric traffic management on the approach to the roadworks on the Oldbury Viaduct. The similar arrangements at M5 jnc 4A northbound have at least now been revised with the M5 returned to two lanes through the junction instead of one.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

We came through here southbound on Saturday (4th) and this struck us as rather odd. Coming back northbound in the evening was smooth and trouble free.
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

When I was over in Feb/March I was a little confused at the N/B start of the TM. I understand the lane drop at J3, which makes sense, but why the need for the speed limit to be reduced before Frankley services was just ridiculous, a mile before the start of the works would have been fine, even with 2 lanes and quite rightly, it was mainly ignored till the specs started :confused:
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 20:41 Part of the eccentric traffic management on the approach to the roadworks on the Oldbury Viaduct. The similar arrangements at M5 jnc 4A northbound have at least now been revised with the M5 returned to two lanes through the junction instead of one.
Thanks.
Eccentric is putting kindly.

A short video (split in 2):

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The intent was to throttle the amount of traffic entering the M5 from the north, with the M6 Toll/M42 suggested as a diversion for through traffic from further afield.

As with all intentions, the reality was rather different and off-peak it remains quicker to just stick to the M5 due to the shorter distance travelled. The sensible thing would have been to have a single lane exit onto the M5 as a lane drop and then a single lane gain from the M6 northbound, leaving two lanes all the way to the contraflow. This would have been slow moving but not stop-start due to lane changing. Ironically fewer lanes can move traffic more effectively in these scenarios.

The cause of the chaos is not the contraflow itself but the choke points either side of it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Yeah, the lane drop in the first of Andy's videos often causes a solid queue throughout the day. It's currently showing red at the moment. Continuing to J7 and turning round will beat the queue as the slip road from the M6 south never queues.

Bryn's suggestion of making this slip road a single lane from the M6 would have helped. M6 southbound between J9-8 could then be marked out with the hard shoulder as the exit to the M5 with the three other lanes for M6 only. If there is a queue on the M5 it won't affect the three M6 lanes.
Attachments
queue.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:50 The intent was to throttle the amount of traffic entering the M5 from the north, with the M6 Toll/M42 suggested as a diversion for through traffic from further afield.

Yes...I suspected it could be a reason... and this is all rather subversive orwellian tactics .

On the M6 toll approach the various matrix signs engouraged motorists to use the toll to head south on the M5 to avoid delays..... However, once past the toll junction the matrix signs on the M6 non toll motorway showed long delays on the M42 South bound.

Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22...Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
Oh Dear Tin Foil Hat time again. Is this a serious suggestion that a government body is corruptly taking money from a private company in furtherance of inflicting misery on drivers?
Or perhaps the signs were factually correct for the length of road (M6 Toll) that they specifically refer to and the reporting of conditions on, or the selection of, onward routes (M6 or M42) is outside the realm of the company operating the M6 Toll.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:39
AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22...Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
Oh Dear Tin Foil Hat time again. Is this a serious suggestion that a government body is corruptly taking money from a private company in furtherance of inflicting misery on drivers?
Or perhaps the signs were factually correct for the length of road (M6 Toll) that they specifically refer to and the reporting of conditions on, or the selection of, onward routes (M6 or M42) is outside the realm of the company operating the M6 Toll.
Sarcasm is often associated with passive aggressive behaviour.
Matrix signs:
M6 public southbound before toll junction; "For M5,use M6 toll to avoid delays "

M6 Public southbound after toll junction "M42 southbound, severe delays"

Perhaps the drivers should have been made aware of delays on the M42 prior to the toll ,as that is the rout which was suggested for toll diversion?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:49
RichardA35 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:39
Matrix signs:
M6 public southbound before toll junction; "For M5,use M6 toll to avoid delays "

Perhaps the drivers should have been made aware of delays on the M42 prior to the toll ,as that is the rout which was suggested for toll diversion?
Signs on the M6 Toll would also have said there was a delay on the M42 giving drivers the choice to divert onto the A5/A38.

To suggest there is a degree of malevolence in HE extort money via a private road operator is, in my view, giving far too much credit to decision makers. :lol:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

AAndy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:27
SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 20:41 Part of the eccentric traffic management on the approach to the roadworks on the Oldbury Viaduct. The similar arrangements at M5 jnc 4A northbound have at least now been revised with the M5 returned to two lanes through the junction instead of one.
Thanks.
Eccentric is putting kindly.

A short video (split in 2):

I cant believe it narrows to 1 lane with barriers immediately each side! what if someone breaks down? the whole slip road could be blocked for hours!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:59To suggest there is a degree of malevolence in HE extort money via a private road operator is, in my view, giving far too much credit to decision makers. :lol:
Never blame on conspiracy that which can adequately be explained by cock-up :D
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Many motorists would have followed the signs urging them of a disruption-free journey to the M5 via the M6 toll. Other Signs also stated there were no delays on the M6 toll..... To say there was signs once on the motorway leading to the M6 toll is pure conjecture ...... and in any case it would be too late for those motorists lured onto the 'slip' for the fee-paying road .

Why didn't I follow the advice? because I knew better.

Interesting point about the S1 barrier section too.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Never seen VMS tell drivers to use the M6 Toll to avoid delays...

Perhaps Matthew could tell us if this is even permitted?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:59
AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:49
RichardA35 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:39 Oh Dear Tin Foil Hat time again. Is this a serious suggestion that a government body is corruptly taking money from a private company in furtherance of inflicting misery on drivers?
Matrix signs:

Signs on the M6 Toll would also have said there was a delay on the M42 giving drivers the choice to divert onto the A5/A38.

To suggest there is a degree of malevolence in HE extort money via a private road operator is, in my view, giving far too much credit to decision makers. :lol:
Signs on the M6Toll would have said no such thing because there aren't any.

And if there were, where would you go? Off the Toll on to the M42, M6 through Brum back onto the M5? Very expensive lengthy pointless detour. A45 A46 M40 M42? Lengthy and time consuming, and may not avoid whatever congestion is on the M42.

But I agree incompetence is more likely than malevolence.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
It proves absolutely nothing of the sort. The only thing it proves is that there was no warning of congestion on the M42 until you had passed the exit for the M6 Toll. Everything else is pure conjecture, if not an outright conspiracy theory.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 19:42
AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
It proves absolutely nothing of the sort. The only thing it proves is that there was no warning of congestion on the M42 until you had passed the exit for the M6 Toll. Everything else is pure conjecture, if not an outright conspiracy theory.
No, you misrepresent my comment, I said it "seems to prove". It was also only part of my comment, so its out of context as well :)
ais523

Post by ais523 »

AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22 On the M6 toll approach the various matrix signs engouraged motorists to use the toll to head south on the M5 to avoid delays..... However, once past the toll junction the matrix signs on the M6 non toll motorway showed long delays on the M42 South bound.

Which seems to prove, that at all costs, the Highways agency is directing traffic onto the privately owned toll road and delibrately not informing the drivers of delays they know will affect them..... I suppose they must get a cut of the fee ( which is so expensive!!)?
Were these even HE's signs?

On the M6 approach to the M6 Toll, some of the matrix signs are controlled by HE, and some are controlled by MEL; the MEL signs give M6 Toll-specific information. (This used to cause confusion, so the two signs have been made more distinct in the last few years; IIRC the MEL signs have a blue frame rather than the usual black, and a (retroreflective, not matrix) sign above them saying M6 TOLL INFORMATION. Even so, they're similar enough to be easily confusable if you aren't intentionally trying to tell them apart. Here's an example of what an MEL-controlled matrix sign looks like.)

This story is worrying in either case, but the implications are rather different based on whether it's HE or MEL who set the signs.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

ais523 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 04:13
AAndy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 09:22 On the M6 toll approach the various matrix signs engouraged motorists to use the toll to head south on the M5 to avoid delays..... However, once past the toll junction the matrix signs on the M6 non toll motorway showed long delays on the M42 South bound.

Were these even HE's signs?

On the M6 approach to the M6 Toll, some of the matrix signs are controlled by HE, and some are controlled by MEL; the MEL signs give M6 Toll-specific information. (This used to cause confusion, so the two signs have been made more distinct in the last few years; IIRC the MEL signs have a blue frame rather than the usual black, and a (retroreflective, not matrix) sign above them saying M6 TOLL INFORMATION. Even so, they're similar enough to be easily confusable if you aren't intentionally trying to tell them apart. Here's an example of what an MEL-controlled matrix sign looks like.)

This story is worrying in either case, but the implications are rather different based on whether it's HE or MEL who set the signs.
Ah, I see.... I am not sure... will have to look at the dashcam footage.