M6 South > M5 Slip - Reduction To 1 Lane + Zip Merging

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: M6 South > M5 Slip - Reduction To 1 Lane

Post by Chris Bertram »

ais523 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 04:13 Were these even HE's signs?

On the M6 approach to the M6 Toll, some of the matrix signs are controlled by HE, and some are controlled by MEL; the MEL signs give M6 Toll-specific information. (This used to cause confusion, so the two signs have been made more distinct in the last few years; IIRC the MEL signs have a blue frame rather than the usual black, and a (retroreflective, not matrix) sign above them saying M6 TOLL INFORMATION. Even so, they're similar enough to be easily confusable if you aren't intentionally trying to tell them apart. Here's an example of what an MEL-controlled matrix sign looks like.)

This story is worrying in either case, but the implications are rather different based on whether it's HE or MEL who set the signs.
At least 99% of the time, the M6Toll signs say "M6 TOLL CLEAR". They might as well leave them blank.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

IME, the queue on the southbound slip at Ray Hall can often largely be due to drivers pulling into lane 2 far too early, so failing to use the available road space by merging in turn further down.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

It always amuses me when people get angry and try to block you, when you do exactly what you are supposed to do and zip merge at the cones :confused:
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

ScottB5411 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 23:08 It always amuses me when people get angry and try to block you, when you do exactly what you are supposed to do and zip merge at the cones :confused:
Because British people like to queue but don't understand queue dynamics. They see it as pushing in even though by all logic it is more efficient that two lines merge into one alternately.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 08:46
ScottB5411 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 23:08 It always amuses me when people get angry and try to block you, when you do exactly what you are supposed to do and zip merge at the cones :confused:
Because British people like to queue but don't understand queue dynamics. They see it as pushing in even though by all logic it is more efficient that two lines merge into one alternately.
Exactly the problem. Despite the 'Merge in turn' signs being added a few months after it began (I suggested it on there Facebook too at the time) and then a few months ago 'Use Both Lanes' signs appearing, you dare use lane one and you get blocked. Honestly I feel such a fraud driving down lane one, and then tend to get into road rage down the bottom.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

brummie_rob wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 22:10 ... a few months ago 'Use Both Lanes' signs appearing, you dare use lane one and you get blocked.
I tried driving along the centre-line last night, but my vehicle wasn't wide enough to fully use both lanes, so impatient people passed on both sides :oops: :roll: :evil:

I suspect they mean "Use EITHER lane"
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 06:40
brummie_rob wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 22:10 ... a few months ago 'Use Both Lanes' signs appearing, you dare use lane one and you get blocked.
I tried driving along the centre-line last night, but my vehicle wasn't wide enough to fully use both lanes, so impatient people passed on both sides :oops: :roll: :evil:

I suspect they mean "Use EITHER lane"
Lorries do that technique too but a little more successfully!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

brummie_rob wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 22:10
Exactly the problem. Despite the 'Merge in turn' signs being added a few months after it began (I suggested it on there Facebook too at the time) and then a few months ago 'Use Both Lanes' signs appearing, you dare use lane one and you get blocked. Honestly I feel such a fraud driving down lane one, and then tend to get into road rage down the bottom.
I get told off by my better half for using the MERGE system after certain roundabouts, because it invariably ends up with certain drivers in the left hand lane thinking I am hopping the queue! I tell her it is there to increase road capacity. This does not go down well :roll:

As for going south onto the M5 from the M6 from the north, I use the next junction and double back onto the M5 to avoid the queue. Works every time.

Strange junction though!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.55321 ... 312!8i6656
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

2 cars alongside 1 lorry, both takes up the same amount of space but which order should they merge in? car 1, lorry, car 2 or car 1, car 2, lorry?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Fenlander wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:36
2 cars alongside 1 lorry, both takes up the same amount of space but which order should they merge in? car 1, lorry, car 2 or car 1, car 2, lorry?
Car 1, lorry, car 2. It's easier for the cars to move around.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck