A500 Stoke - Average speed cameras

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

brummie_rob

A500 Stoke - Average speed cameras

Post by brummie_rob »

The time has come it appears for the A500 to get 12 average speed cameras between the M6 J15 and Wolstanton (where the widening works are taking place). This has been a long time coming, but since Highways England and CMPG took over patrolling of the route, they have caught over 3500 speeders on several clampdowns:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... ng-2837547

I think they should personally make it a 60mph average speed zone. In the middle of the night the 50mph will seem very slow!
PeterA5145

Re: A500 Stoke - Average speed cameras

Post by PeterA5145 »

50 is certainly ridiculously slow, and generally ignored, on the section between Hanford and the M6 that has recently been cut from NSL.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The cameras are being installed now and will be in place by December. That seems an extraordinary amount of time :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

As a road that would easily meet HE's standard for a lower tier expressway you'd think that variable speed limits would have been applied...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

Truvelo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 The cameras are being installed now and will be in place by December. That seems an extraordinary amount of time :@
50 does feel ridiculously slow on this stretch, it really should be nsl.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

trigpoint wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:57
Truvelo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 The cameras are being installed now and will be in place by December. That seems an extraordinary amount of time :@
Yeah, but that won't claim many £££ in speeding fines or speed awareness courses, will it?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:57
trigpoint wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:57
Yeah, but that won't claim many £££ in speeding fines or speed awareness courses, will it?
Nor will taking 7 months to install the cameras. Think of all the £££ they could be making sooner if the cameras went up quicker.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Compliance with average speed checks is much better than standalone sites.

Contrary to popular and misguided opinion they don't generate that much money and improve collision rates.

I'd rather we had these than vans.
Bryn

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I see plenty of folk that slow down for the first average camera, zip gaily along to the next one before crawling past it. Every time I dearly hope that their stupidity earns them a fine and points.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
vlad

Post by vlad »

PeterA5145 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 09:03 50 is certainly ridiculously slow, and generally ignored, on the section between Hanford and the M6 that has recently been cut from NSL.
50 is generally ignored on the entire A500.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

As traffic volumes have risen beyond what the A500 was designed for the older interchanges are now substandard for 70.

The "correct" answer is to bring the road up to modern standards but that would involve years of work and considerable expense. It is therefore considered more practical to mitigate poor driver behaviour.

On the whole the A500 is quite low standard, I don't get too worked up about the 50 mph limits along it as a result. In the USA it would undoubtedly have a 45 mph speed limit if not lower in parts.
Bryn

trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

I only use the section between the A50 and the M6/A5182, maybe because I only use it on Friday or Saturday evening but 50 feels very slow and its quite rare to need to leave lane 1.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 17:00 Compliance with average speed checks is much better than standalone sites.

Contrary to popular and misguided opinion they don't generate that much money and improve collision rates.

I am coming round to that view myself. As long as it was also extended to removing most humps/bumps/chicanes that have been plonked down over the last 30 years.
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 As traffic volumes have risen beyond what the A500 was designed for the older interchanges are now substandard for 70.

The "correct" answer is to bring the road up to modern standards but that would involve years of work and considerable expense. It is therefore considered more practical to mitigate poor driver behaviour.

On the whole the A500 is quite low standard, I don't get too worked up about the 50 mph limits along it as a result. In the USA it would undoubtedly have a 45 mph speed limit if not lower in parts.
Everything here is about right. What has really knackered the A500 is the A50 being hooked directly into its veins (Had the M64 been built.....etc etc) while it deals with more and more local traffic. The benefit of underpassing Stoke Road and City Road roundabouts has long been negated by an increase in traffic volume, if the M6 is ever shut then you’re really up a creek if you need to use the A500. It needs to do its job, but to do it we’ll just have to go slower than before, its better than not moving at all.
Duple

Post by Duple »

JF2309 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 00:23
Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 As traffic volumes have risen beyond what the A500 was designed for the older interchanges are now substandard for 70.

Everything here is about right. What has really knackered the A500 is the A50 being hooked directly into its veins (Had the M64 been built.....etc etc) while it deals with more and more local traffic. The benefit of underpassing Stoke Road and City Road roundabouts has long been negated by an increase in traffic volume, if the M6 is ever shut then you’re really up a creek if you need to use the A500. It needs to do its job, but to do it we’ll just have to go slower than before, its better than not moving at all.
It is also extremely strangled by the A50.. why this was never a free flow(multi level?) hamburger style interchange I have never understood, lack of investment I guess.

The que to join the A50 some mornings has spanned as far back as Eturia, the key at those times is to get in to Lane 2 'well ahead' - there is rumour that when the widening is complete it will become a "Smart" road with variable speed limits, which would work well I feel.

Why the extra lanes were never put in at Wolstanton when it was built I am unsure, the land has always been there - I believe the arrangement at City Road is what this project will eventually look like.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

This has been our opinion (time-expired road, inadequate for current traffic levels), every time we abandoned the M6 in search of a road where we could do more than 40mph. Further north, the A34 towards Manchester gives us a far more consistent journey time.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Duple wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 15:27 It is also extremely strangled by the A50.. why this was never a free flow(multi level?) hamburger style interchange I have never understood, lack of investment I guess.
The A50 was plugged in with as little alteration to the A500 as possible. The trumpet part of Sideway Interchange is original to the A500; this was kept when the A50 was built and a roundabout put in just to the north. It was probably cheaper than doing much else.

Having a free-flow junction between the A500 and A50 would be best, of course, but as Sideway is pretty close to the junctions to the north and south how do you allow for all the weaving?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

vlad wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 18:44
Duple wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 15:27 It is also extremely strangled by the A50.. why this was never a free flow(multi level?) hamburger style interchange I have never understood, lack of investment I guess.
The A50 was plugged in with as little alteration to the A500 as possible. The trumpet part of Sideway Interchange is original to the A500; this was kept when the A50 was built and a roundabout put in just to the north. It was probably cheaper than doing much else.

Having a free-flow junction between the A500 and A50 would be best, of course, but as Sideway is pretty close to the junctions to the north and south how do you allow for all the weaving?
Also I think the Council would object massively because of the location of the incinerator, which makes a fair bit of money, the location of the Trentham Lakes Junction would cause a problem and theres a Canal and River to divert, both of which were diverted during the Pathfinder Project. I don’t see a simple solution to it and to top it all off, this bit of the A50 is just a Spur!

The extra lanes at Wolstanton were probably never thought of because I don’t think anybody foresaw the A50 piling into the A500 in the way it does and spewing a mixture of long distance traffic with local traffic onto the A500. Also, Wolstanton when it was built was just an access road to Shelton Bar before the Retail Park and now the link road (Which is a revival of an old road that existed before the A500 came to be) to Wolstanton, it wasn’t massively trafficked as it is now.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 17:00 Compliance with average speed checks is much better than standalone sites.

A large proportion of speeding tickets issued are from specs... accurate figure need to be released for comparison.

It s your opinion that seems misguided in this instance, and just untrue, with 70,000 specs tickets issued the highways agency said in 2018...
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

AAndy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 07:09

A large proportion of speeding tickets issued are from specs... accurate figure need to be released for comparison.

It s your opinion that seems misguided in this instance, and just untrue, with 70,000 specs tickets issued the highways agency said in 2018...
Ok, 70,000 tickets issued out of how many times the cameras were passed?