M20 Specs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Alderpoint

M20 Specs

Post by Alderpoint »

What's the mad amount of Specs been installed on the M20 for?

Heading coastbound this evening, there are two short sections of 50mph Specs active, one neer Maidstone and the other just before Ashford. In both case the motorway had all 3 lanes fully open and the only sign of anything happening was a continuous section of cones against (replacing?) the central armco. There was also very little warning: 50mph sign and only 100m before the first camera.

But between these two sections, on the other (London-bound) carriageway there were continuous specs cameras for must have been about 10 miles, yet the motorway had all lanes fully open and no sign of any roadworks - there were signs out but I coundn't read what they said whilst travelling in the opposite direction.

Are they really operating specs at 50mph on an otherwise fully-open D3M?

I'll be heading back in the opposite direction Tuesday evening. I think I'll be using the M2 instead.
Let it snow.
M4 Cardiff

Re: M20 Specs

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I think it is Operation Brock - Brexit contingency for lorry stacking
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

The London-bound M20 between junctions 9 and 8 is SPECS enforced 50 all the way. Taking High Speed 1 to St Pancras, the traffic almost looks stationary.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Berk

Post by Berk »

But why is the scheme active at this time?? Brexit isn’t due for another 5 months (barring any no-deal mishaps)??

I’m sure the plans could be reactivated in less than 24 hours.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You can't install a steel varioguard barrier over a 13 mile distance in 24 hours.

That barrier is not rated for speeds above 50.

It's hardly the end of the world if some political traffic management is in place for a few months.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 09:55It's hardly the end of the world if some political traffic management is in place for a few months.
It also effectively means the parallel A20 is a reasonable alternative at this time, so I use that instead.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....