A1M Moto service area near Peterborough

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

A1M Moto service area near Peterborough

Post by Berk »

More than 120 jobs could be created if a proposed £20 million motorway service area at Sawtry gets the go ahead.

I'm struggling to see the rationale for this. After all, it’s not that far from Peterborough?? Then again, if you visit Peterborough services, you’ll know how busy it gets...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A1M Moto service area near Peterborough

Post by c2R »

Something on the southbound carriagway would be more useful - Peterborough services really shouldn't be allowed to be an MSA because it's not even a direct access from the n/b carriwaeway,let alone the s/b... If you're paying a premium for convenience,offline services really should be signed differently - it's the same as Exelby vs. Wetherby in Yorkshire...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The thing this has going for it is that it is a disused brownfield site which has seen a not too dissimilar use in the past. I think the original place shut down shortly after the A1(M) opened.

I wonder if the locals might quite favour it if it clears up a bit of an eyesore.

Looking at the junction layout, I think it would also be (less conveniently) accessible for southbound traffic, even if it didn’t get signed as such.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

It makes sense to me, the old site was quite handy and I find Peterborough services to be a pain in the posterior, I imagine the locals would be happy to see it as anything has to be better than abandoned buildings and an adult shop.

Southbound it has always surprised me that more has not been done on the motel site at Norman Cross, there looks to be plenty of space.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

KeithW wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 It makes sense to me, the old site was quite handy and I find Peterborough services to be a pain in the posterior, I imagine the locals would be happy to see it as anything has to be better than abandoned buildings and an adult shop.

Southbound it has always surprised me that more has not been done on the motel site at Norman Cross, there looks to be plenty of space.
Peterborough services must be a massive success story for Extra. Was always busy but the last couple of years it's become a pain in the ass to get into, to get parked and to get out of. It must be over trading, so a small Moto option further south might just work for everyone.
Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

KeithW wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 It makes sense to me, the old site was quite handy and I find Peterborough services to be a pain in the posterior, I imagine the locals would be happy to see it as anything has to be better than abandoned buildings and an adult shop.
Ah - the Sawtry Motel was one of the first projects I had to draw when I was at Booth Concrete just after leaving school. They can't knock it down!!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Also - what happened to or is happening with Alconbury truck stop?

Even if that's still going, which I don't think it is, it won't presumably any longer be of much use or very accessible once the A14 changes as a result of the new section all work themselves through.
Electrophorus Electricus

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 Also - what happened to or is happening with Alconbury truck stop?

Even if that's still going, which I don't think it is, it won't presumably any longer be of much use or very accessible once the A14 changes as a result of the new section all work themselves through.
It closed on Friday 3rd March 2017 and is I believe a depot for Maritime Transport.
Berk

Post by Berk »

More details here. Looks good.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Berk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 22:46 More details here. Looks good.
Thanks - I also followed the linked to Moto's dedicated website for the project from the article. A bit more info there too.

There's a public consultation even on 5th June - I may swing by if I have the time.

I think it's a good project and should be far easier to get through than most MSAs, I'd have thought.
Electrophorus Electricus

Berk

Post by Berk »

There’s probably a greater need for a mini-services than I had imagined. Our part of the world is quite badly served, compared with places in Yorkshire - oops, that were served. :wink:

But still far less facilities and outlets overall.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Be careful if you want to look at the site on Streetview. I dropped the little Google man into the former Little Chef... and was face to face with an inflatable sex doll! :oops:

I don't think I've ever seen so much pixelation in one room either! :lol:
B1040

Post by B1040 »

KeithW wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 13:32
roadtester wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 Also - what happened to or is happening with Alconbury truck stop?

It closed on Friday 3rd March 2017 and is I believe a depot for Maritime Transport.
I drive past here fairly often. It looks as if there are still facilities for truckers as well as the Maritime depot. (This is based on a quick glance rather than full scrutiny).
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

B1040 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 17:39
KeithW wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 13:32

I drive past here fairly often. It looks as if there are still facilities for truckers as well as the Maritime depot. (This is based on a quick glance rather than full scrutiny).
I suppose the point is that stranded on the A14(M), it will have far less passing traffic once the new Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme is opened.
Electrophorus Electricus

B1040

Post by B1040 »

roadtester wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 17:46

I suppose the point is that stranded on the A14(M), it will have far less passing traffic once the new Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme is opened.
It won't make much difference. It's still as close to the A1(M) and it's only slightly further from the A14(M) mainline.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

B1040 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 17:39 I drive past here fairly often. It looks as if there are still facilities for truckers as well as the Maritime depot. (This is based on a quick glance rather than full scrutiny).
Maritime is primarily a transport organisation with over 3 dozen locations so they will definitely have facilities for truckers :) I believe the fuel outlet and cafe is still open to third parties but the secure parking area and accomodation is now only available for their own vehicles.
https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/haulie ... -1-4883960
Berk

Post by Berk »

It doesn’t make an awful lot of sense?? So they’re OK for truckies to have a quick coffee break, but nothing longer?? How long are stops permitted for??

It’s becoming plain that provision for truckies is seriously sub-standard. There are very few places that will actually accommodate them.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Not sure how new this is but there's a certain amount of information about this here:

https://www.moto-sawtryservices.com/

Not much seems to have happened since they submitted the application last year.
Electrophorus Electricus

Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Hdeng16 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:29

Peterborough services must be a massive success story for Extra. Was always busy but the last couple of years it's become a pain in the ass to get into, to get parked and to get out of. It must be over trading, so a small Moto option further south might just work for everyone.
That's why I always stop at the Chesterton services just after the junction, after it reverts back to the A1. Much easier to get in and out of.