A38 Derby Junctions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Sean Graveney

A38 Derby Junctions

Post by Sean Graveney »

Highways England’s Development Consent application has been submitted to and now accepted by the Planning Inspectorate...

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... Junctions/

Not consent yet obviously but a significant step beyond what has previously achieved after so many failed attempts over a decade or so and recent meddling by an MP.

Seemed like it would be worth a new thread as any chat so far has been within an old one about the previous pinch point scheme...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33039&hilit=Derby+j ... s&start=20

Hope that’s ok

For reference, the scheme would split grade three non consecutive junctions to the west and north of Derby.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Re: A38 Derby Junctions

Post by A303Chris »

Secretary of State gave development consent for the scheme on Friday.

According to the scheme page advance work will start spring with the main works late summer.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

This seems to have been on and off for 20 years now?
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 14:46 This seems to have been on and off for 20 years now?
Looks like they are finally going to do it
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
fras

Post by fras »

I thought I would never see anything like this again: -

"increase speed limit on the A38 from 40 to 50 mph!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

fras wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 17:22 I thought I would never see anything like this again: -

Wasn't it 50 originally?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 17:25
fras wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 17:22 I thought I would never see anything like this again: -

Wasn't it 50 originally?
I don't think so, the Kingsway between the two roundabouts is an obvious 40 to me.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I had to have a lie down when I saw that :D
To be fair, I think it'll be 50 as that seems to be the "sweet spot" for any environmental considerations - noise, emissions etc.

Shame that they're ripping out the big roundabout at Kingsway/A5111 and replacing with a dumbell. But I don't think traffic would be affected greatly. It's the least busy of the three junctions.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I'm not too worried about the exact speed limit as long as the improvements improve the flow/actual real world speeds.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

The A565 has just gone from 30 to 40 from the city centre up to the start of the existing 40 at Bootle. Not quite 40 to 50, but still, something I was surprised to see.
Simon
Monroads

Post by Monroads »

Will M1 Southbound traffic heading to Birmingham be redirected down the A38 instead of the A42/M42 once this is completed?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 17:25

Wasn't it 50 originally?
The question is what happens to the 70 either side? I've always been pleasantly surprised how much of the current road is at NSL.

Is it not mentioned because it is changing to 50 or because it isn't, I wonder.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Monroads wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 19:14 Will M1 Southbound traffic heading to Birmingham be redirected down the A38 instead of the A42/M42 once this is completed?
Google Maps gives a 2 minutes difference presently between M1/A42/M42/M6 and A38 - how much will the improvements give?
Lifelong motorhead
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Big L wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 19:32 The question is what happens to the 70 either side? I've always been pleasantly surprised how much of the current road is at NSL.

Is it not mentioned because it is changing to 50 or because it isn't, I wonder.
I suspect the 70 on the northern side will remain - it's fairly modern D2 along there, 80s vintage IIRC. The section south of it should stay 70, but I have my suspicions that it may fall to 60 down to Toyota in the near future. They dropped a section South of Burton to 60 due to dodgy alignment a few years ago.
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 19:41
Monroads wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 19:14 Will M1 Southbound traffic heading to Birmingham be redirected down the A38 instead of the A42/M42 once this is completed?
Google Maps gives a 2 minutes difference presently between M1/A42/M42/M6 and A38 - how much will the improvements give?
I used to travel this way quite regularly if I needed to get to the north side of Birmingham/Walsall/Wolves etc. I'd suspect, during typical daytime traffic levels, you might save between 5-10 minutes, particularly at rush hour. I used to travel down in the morning aiming for a 9am arrival and found it steady going until the Minworth roundabout. From there to the M6 was always a bit of a grind. But then again, the M42 south of Tamworth was also pretty grim.

As far as signing traffic this way, I doubt it. Working from the M1 end down - J28 already struggles at the best of times, especially northbound traffic on the A38. The sections between Burton and Lichfield are of a 60s vintage, and is very busy and narrow - though it usually stays moving, 70 is often an aspiration. Then, as I said about, from Minworth to the M6 is built up and 40mph through traffic lights, roundabouts etc.

Perhaps traffic heading for Walsall, Wolverhampton and the M54 corridor may be tempted this way - it's not actually a bad run really coming from Mansfield/Nottingham and using the (A50)/A38/A5 route. Depends on how the A5 behaves on the day really. Shame the M6Toll doesn't have a decent discount when joining near the centre, like the A38 does.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

This work will actually highlight just how substandard most of the A38 south of Derby really is. It's not a pleasant road really, I'm amazed so much of it remains NSL at all to be honest.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 This work will actually highlight just how substandard most of the A38 south of Derby really is. It's not a pleasant road really, I'm amazed so much of it remains NSL at all to be honest.
I have no issues with it. It's pretty straight, being based on an old Roman road, much of it is lit at night and there have been a lot of junction improvements and gap closures over the years (I'm old enough to remember when there were traffic lights at Alrewas). Many frontages are accessed from service roads rather than directly from the main road. The Burton by-pass is good, as is the Lichfield by-pass, and the section from south of Littleover to Kingsway roundabout is obviously designed to plug into an improvement at the Kingsway end.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 This work will actually highlight just how substandard most of the A38 south of Derby really is. It's not a pleasant road really, I'm amazed so much of it remains NSL at all to be honest.
I have no issues with it. It's pretty straight, being based on an old Roman road, much of it is lit at night and there have been a lot of junction improvements and gap closures over the years (I'm old enough to remember when there were traffic lights at Alrewas). Many frontages are accessed from service roads rather than directly from the main road. The Burton by-pass is good, as is the Lichfield by-pass, and the section from south of Littleover to Kingsway roundabout is obviously designed to plug into an improvement at the Kingsway end.
Yes, but given the Highways Agency as was have reduced speed limits on arguably higher quality sections of dual carriageway, it's a strange one.

It's this lack of consistency yet again that causes the problem, not lower speed limits in themselves.
Bryn

jackal

Post by jackal »

It's taking a long term but definitely a great improvement. There'll be a 40 mile freeflow route between the M1 and M6toll.
fras

Post by fras »

I have to say I absolutely agree ! When I used to live in Birmingham and rode a motorbike this was one road I really disliked riding along the traffic was manic. Nowadays one can get relief (of a sort) here :-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70877 ... 8192?hl=en
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

fras wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 22:14
I have to say I absolutely agree ! When I used to live in Birmingham and rode a motorbike this was one road I really disliked riding along the traffic was manic. Nowadays one can get relief (of a sort) here :-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70877 ... 8192?hl=en
Rather a different kind of thrill-seeking to owning a motorbike.
Bryn