Billingshurst By-Pass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Re: Billingshurst By-Pass

Post by jervi »

I've replied to their response. Just explaining how it reads and why their response doesn't make sense and asking for clarification. Maybe they will do something such as remove it from the PRN or start correcting some of the signs, especially before the ones on the Billingshurst Bypass get put in place.
I wouldn't be too fussed if a few of the signs were the wrong colour along the road, but with all but 1 sign being incorrect between the A24 and Hampshire is not excusable.

And yes, I have checked all the signs along it. If you can find another primary route sign between the A24 and Hampshire on the A272, I'll give £10 to the first person.

Also today WSCC announced the Bypass is opening on Monday.
https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/news/new- ... ge-centre/
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks for the information on the opening date, as this new part of the A272 is now open to traffic I'll have to check it out the next time I'm down that way (when we are allowed to travel). Has the new road got Primary Route signage or more white Non Primary signs ?.
jervi

Post by jervi »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 16:10 Thanks for the information on the opening date, as this new part of the A272 is now open to traffic I'll have to check it out the next time I'm down that way (when we are allowed to travel). Has the new road got Primary Route signage or more white Non Primary signs ?.
I haven't checked yet. But I'll put £500 on that they are non-primary signs.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

jervi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 17:51
roadphotos wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 16:10 Thanks for the information on the opening date, as this new part of the A272 is now open to traffic I'll have to check it out the next time I'm down that way (when we are allowed to travel). Has the new road got Primary Route signage or more white Non Primary signs ?.
It’s strange for some reason I found myself looking at google street view and noticed all the A272 signs are non primary at Billingshurst so I googled is the A272 primary and the first item is a freedom of information request which I guess is yours! If it is you asked some very good questions and quite frankly the councils response was that of someone doing a job they neither enjoy or understand!

I was astonished that they claim the signage is all primary then when you replied it was along the lines of this is a primary route but we don’t use primary signage to discourage HGV’s 🙄

I particularly had a chuckle at the fact they stated the north west section of the bypass that’s now a A29/A272 multiplex isn’t part of the primary road network 🤔

If I’m correct councils get more funding for primary routes? So could it be a case of we want to keep the funding but are doing a back handed downgrade as the A272 on the ground certainly isn’t a primary route!

I know around here between Leeds and Wetherby we have the A58 that’s half and half a mix of signage and even on maps and traffic for the A1 North is signed via the A64, drives me mad it’s either one or the other but it seems many councils want primary route funding but not to be used as a primary route….
jervi

Post by jervi »

NICK 647063 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 23:24 It’s strange for some reason I found myself looking at google street view and noticed all the A272 signs are non primary at Billingshurst so I googled is the A272 primary and the first item is a freedom of information request which I guess is yours! If it is you asked some very good questions and quite frankly the councils response was that of someone doing a job they neither enjoy or understand!

I was astonished that they claim the signage is all primary then when you replied it was along the lines of this is a primary route but we don’t use primary signage to discourage HGV’s 🙄

I particularly had a chuckle at the fact they stated the north west section of the bypass that’s now a A29/A272 multiplex isn’t part of the primary road network 🤔

If I’m correct councils get more funding for primary routes? So could it be a case of we want to keep the funding but are doing a back handed downgrade as the A272 on the ground certainly isn’t a primary route!

I know around here between Leeds and Wetherby we have the A58 that’s half and half a mix of signage and even on maps and traffic for the A1 North is signed via the A64, drives me mad it’s either one or the other but it seems many councils want primary route funding but not to be used as a primary route….
I'm not sure if councils get more money for having more "PRN" routes, however I think fixing a road that is part of the PRN has to be quicker than other classes of road. In terms of additional funding, I think that is now the "MRN" (Major Route Network) which can be made up of non-primary & primary routes.

Interestingly last summer WSCC made their Transport Plan draft public, and it included looking at removing the A272 from the primary route network West of the A24 with the justification being that much of the route between the A24 & A3 is within the South Downs National Park, and as such scope the potential for improving the route for through traffic is limited & discouraged. However I like to think me complaining managed to reach some management team and they are considering it as a result of that.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

jervi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 08:33
I'm not sure if councils get more money for having more "PRN" routes, however I think fixing a road that is part of the PRN has to be quicker than other classes of road. In terms of additional funding, I think that is now the "MRN" (Major Route Network) which can be made up of non-primary & primary routes.
In fact they do, they get money from Government for maintenance of Primary Roads, "A" Roads, "B" Roads and "C" roads. When I was at Reading BC, they had no "C" roads and therefore I produced the "C" road network. While unlike the others, DfT do not hold the numbers, for funding you have to show them your network, just ensure it is reasonable.#

The higher up the hierarchy the more money you get to spend.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

jervi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 17:51
The route is now viewable as open on GSV and all the signs are non-primary white :bang:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00In fact they do, they get money from Government for maintenance of Primary Roads, "A" Roads, "B" Roads and "C" roads. When I was at Reading BC, they had no "C" roads and therefore I produced the "C" road network. While unlike the others, DfT do not hold the numbers, for funding you have to show them your network, just ensure it is reasonable.
I seem to recall that you also set an important precedent when allocating C-road numbers in Reading, which was to consult SABRE on numbering policy. We were very happy to approve your zone-based system :laugh:
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 15:09
A303Chris wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00In fact they do, they get money from Government for maintenance of Primary Roads, "A" Roads, "B" Roads and "C" roads. When I was at Reading BC, they had no "C" roads and therefore I produced the "C" road network. While unlike the others, DfT do not hold the numbers, for funding you have to show them your network, just ensure it is reasonable.
I seem to recall that you also set an important precedent when allocating C-road numbers in Reading, which was to consult SABRE on numbering policy. We were very happy to approve your zone-based system :laugh:
My word you have a good memory, that was 14 years ago!!!!!
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 14:30
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 15:09
My word you have a good memory, that was 14 years ago!!!!!
Was it really? :shock: