Proposed A1(M)J52 Catterick Service Area

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: Proposed A1(M)J52 Catterick Service Area

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 20:02 Catterick Interchange would be the best as it's quite new and has plenty of space. Scotch Corner SA and Leeming Bar date back to the sixties and the original D2 A1.
Scotch Corner is actually relatively new, until 1990 pretty much all that was there was a filling station and even after that it was even smaller than it is now and rather run down. It wasnt until 2001 or so that Moto remodelled it after building the Barton Truck Stop.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

I’m sure scotch corner SA had a Burger King in the late 90’s as it used to be our end of the night food on the walk back from the pub in Middleton Tyres
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Achmelvic wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 21:03 I’m sure scotch corner SA had a Burger King in the late 90’s as it used to be our end of the night food on the walk back from the pub in Middleton Tyres
There was a burger joint but I cannot recall the brand.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

KeithW wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 22:37
Achmelvic wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 21:03 I’m sure scotch corner SA had a Burger King in the late 90’s as it used to be our end of the night food on the walk back from the pub in Middleton Tyres
There was a burger joint but I cannot recall the brand.
Have a feeling it was a wimpy until the 90s, switched to Burger King which then moved location to the other end when the building was refit. If I remember right it was originally roughly where the WHSmiths is now, or was as I’ve not been there for 10 yrs or so.
Tater656

Post by Tater656 »

After having a read of this thread I noticed people saying about the McDonald's at Leeming Bar being the main thing there. I would think that that would be at risk as well if Catterick is built because one of Roadchef's largest facilities is a McDonald's so I would think most traffic on the motorway would likely use this rather than Leeming since it's closer to the road
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Tater656 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 23:30 After having a read of this thread I noticed people saying about the McDonald's at Leeming Bar being the main thing there. I would think that that would be at risk as well if Catterick is built because one of Roadchef's largest facilities is a McDonald's so I would think most traffic on the motorway would likely use this rather than Leeming since it's closer to the road
Leeming Bar is an anachronism having been built in 1961 when traffic was small fraction of the modern levels. Its is old, far too small and a long way from the J51. The reality is that like Barnsdale Bar and Selby Fork it was built as a hotel with a cafe and filling station. It is not fit for purpose at this stage which is why it is classed as a rest area. Selby Fork is now just a rather shabby motel and Barnsdale Bar is much reduced, essentially a filling station with a deli and coffee shop. In the long term it may well be that the McDonalds is the only thing that survives due to its proximity to Leeming Bar and RAF Leeming.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

The planning decision on Catterick Service Area by Richmonshire District Council has been postponed until September 2021:
A decision over a controversial plan to build a £57m motorway service area at the Catterick junction of the A1(M) has been postponed until September.

Richmondshire District Council said further information had been submitted at the last minute which needed to be examined, just hours before a planning meeting to consider Roadchef’s plan to build across farm fields and a designated nature conservation site.

The delay follows more than three years of talks between the motorway services operator and the council over the development the firm claims will create 227 full-time jobs.
https://www.richmondshiretoday.co.uk/a1 ... postponed/
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Approved today, although as expected Moto were at the meeting to object.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

So is that the death knell for Barton Park, Leeming Bar, or both?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 08:35 So is that the death knell for Barton Park, Leeming Bar, or both?
Leeming Bar might as well be dead already given how ramshackle and nothing it is. This decision is long overdue and the Motopoly of that corner of the UK needs breaking anyway.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 09:52
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 08:35 So is that the death knell for Barton Park, Leeming Bar, or both?
Leeming Bar might as well be dead already given how ramshackle and nothing it is. This decision is long overdue and the Motopoly of that corner of the UK needs breaking anyway.
Watching the racing at Catterick Bridge last month and looking across to the impressive motorway junction, I was thinking this would be ideal for an MSA as Leeming Bar belongs in the past now, and is over 60 years old.
However, to those in the know about this area, I'd much rather pull off the A1(M) and have a meal at the Farmers Arms in Brompton on Swale, which is only half a mile from the motorway.