Ever wanted to play on the Aston Expressway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Ever wanted to play on the Aston Expressway?

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 20:26
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 19:47If access is an issue could an accessible bus be provided? Having been in a fork lift truck cage in use as an improvised lift it certainly doesn't seem safe for anyone less than fully mobile.
I don't think access is an issue at all and I'm slightly baffled that anyone thinks it is. No matter how you get on the Aston Expressway, you will be using a sliproad that is considerably wider and far more gently sloped than most wheelchair ramps. Who exactly is going to have such difficulty navigating a smooth, gentle slope that they will need alternative access arrangements? :confused:
I'm baffled too but members with much greater knowledge than me of Birmingham, road design and disability seem to be expressing concerns. I expect the event to be at the city centre end with the entrance along the carriageway but nobody knows. Perhaps it will be in a deep cutting with access only by steep maintenance stairs or abseiling off a bridge! Then the worries are entirely valid! :stir: :lol: :confused:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 20:53
vlad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 19:37 Some people have criticised the idea already (link)
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 07:32 Flat as in no steps. That's pretty crucial for many mobility impaired people.
Ah - but how steep is the step-free access? I know several people for whom a ramp may as well be a 10' wall.
Anything worse than 1 in 20 is bad - but motorway slips should be much shallower than that.
The other problem to consider is that all the slip roads onto the Aston Express way havent got pedestrian access without crossing busy roads to get there!
Unless you close the north side of the Park Circus roundabout and have the traffic only use the south side as a two way road, along with the B4132.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:59 Just wait for Sky to move a Villa home game to the Sunday afternoon, which they won't announce until well into August...
Aston Villa are away to Arsenal that weekend it turns out, so at least they won't have that to worry about.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 19:52I'm baffled too but members with much greater knowledge than me of Birmingham, road design and disability seem to be expressing concerns. I expect the event to be at the city centre end with the entrance along the carriageway but nobody knows.
There are only two accesses onto the motorway at the city centre end.

The first is the sliproad from the A38. This one doesn't look too bad – there's a pavement right by it – but the problem is that the lane drop here, between the pavement and the motorway access, is the main diversion route for when the A38(M) is closed, heavily used even when it isn't, and will likely be completely solid with traffic, and there's no easy way round it from the city centre. If you close that road too to give pedestrians a path through, you'd have to dump all the traffic onto the B4114, leading to all the traffic trying to get through this stretch of D1. Somehow I doubt this diversion route would be approved (unless the intention really was to close Birmingham to traffic almost entirely).

The other is the sliproad to Dartmouth Circus. Not exactly the greatest of locations for pedestrian access, and again, the A5127 is going to be full of traffic if the A38(M) is closed. This might be a more viable location, because there are other reasonable routes between the A4540 and M6, but it's still not really the sort of access that you'd want to have to use, and it requires walking along the road for a sufficient distance that you likely couldn't make it work with, e.g., a temporary pedestrian crossing.

I think the best approach is probably to close the leftmost lane of the eastbound carriageway of the B4132 between the A5127 and A38(M). That gives a flat access for pedestrians to the B4132 using this pedestrian crossing, and can then be used to enter the motorway here at the intermediate junction. One potential problem is that this gives access to the elevated section rather than the section in cutting, which could potentially be a health and safety issue; another is that it would necessarily require closing the entire motorway, because the immediate vicinity of the slip road entrance is part of every possible movement that uses the A38(M). (That said, I think closing the entire motorway is likely the best option anyway). One big advantage of this method is that it only requires a lane closure, not a road closure, and on a fairly minor road by comparison with the other options. Another is that the slip road seems to be less steep compared with some, as the motorway is changing elevation in the opposite direction to the sliproad at the time. (The sliproads on the A38(M) probably have a design speed of 50mph, because the motorway does, and thus I'd expect them to be steeper than they are on rural 70mph motorways.)
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Big L wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:48Postponed.
Nooo! I booked leave from work for that! :|
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Big L wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:48 Postponed.
They don't seem to say what the insurmountable "health and welfare" issues were... :confused:

Perhaps its just a cover story when really they got The Queen to suspend it. :coat:
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

What this means is traffic heading out to Gravelly Hill and beyond will probably have to use the old A38, ironically causing more congestion and pollution. Yet I suppose having a chance to walk on the A38(M) and taking in the modernist buildings around it would be interesting.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

My guess is that they didn't find a safe access to the motorway (from the health-and-safety point of view) that didn't simultaneously cause insurmountable traffic management problems. It's not that surprising that the roads immediately around the A38(M) are very busy, and they'd become even busier if you closed it, thus crossing them to reach the motorway would be hard to do safely.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

ais523 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:30 My guess is that they didn't find a safe access to the motorway (from the health-and-safety point of view) that didn't simultaneously cause insurmountable traffic management problems. It's not that surprising that the roads immediately around the A38(M) are very busy, and they'd become even busier if you closed it, thus crossing them to reach the motorway would be hard to do safely.
The pressure on the old A38 would be unbearable as this passes through a very built up part of Birmingham. However, it would be interesting to walk the Aston Expressway, even more Gravelly Hill, but this would be impossible to arrange.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

Given this weekend is the moving-in weekend for new students at the University of Birmingham (and possibly other institutions in the city) it’s quite fortunate that this has been postponed, though I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a contributory factor.