Ever wanted to play on the Aston Expressway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

popmonkey

Ever wanted to play on the Aston Expressway?

Post by popmonkey »

In what could be seen to be a very delayed April Fools day story, it appears that the much loved A38(M) Aston Expressway in Birmingham will be closed to traffic from 10am up until 4pm on Sunday September 22 as part of International Car Free Day.

Full Story here

This seems to me to be a bit of a strange use of highways infrastructure, but could be an opportunity for some people to get an up-close look at one of the stranger roads in the country.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Ever wanted to play on the Aston Expressway?

Post by Big L »

Looks like a once-in-a-lifetime chance to travel along at walking speed. Oh no, wait....
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

"The flat and smooth surface of the road means it is also accessible for those with mobility challenges." — does it have any accesses that are flat, though? From memory, every entrance from the road network is sloped, and I'd be surprised if any of the maintenance accesses (even if there are any) are on the level.

It's also likely that most of the entrances from the road network will be hard to reach due to busy traffic passing the slip roads (presumably the slip roads will be closed, but the roads going past them will still be open). The most plausible options for pedestrian accessibility include entering at the intermediate junction in Aston (which is a pretty sleep stope), or entering from the slip roads to/from the A5127 at Spaghetti Junction (this is probably doable for an able-bodied person, assuming that the motorways' closed and you're allowed to ignore the motorway regulations, but both crossing the road and navigating the junction afterwards seem difficult for someone with mobility problems).

"Further details on the event, including the exact stretch of the road which will form the park and how organisations can get involved, will be announced at a later date." – you only have three options (closing the whole motorway, closing from Aston to the Birmingham end, closing the area underneath the A4540 roundabout), and the first of those options is the only viable one (the closure from Aston would dump a large amount of traffic at a local junction, and closing just the area under the roundabout would leave the pedestrian area pretty much inaccessible).

I don't think it's impossible to make something like this work, but I'd have preferred that the details would have been worked out before the announcement. Motorways aren't typically designed for pedestrian access, after all.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

SABRE AwayDay?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Flat as in no steps. That's pretty crucial for many mobility impaired people.

It's an interesting idea and we need to start realising there is life after frequent car use even if you don't like it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Just wait for Sky to move a Villa home game to the Sunday afternoon, which they won't announce until well into August...
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

I'm guessing they are planning on some sort of security for this? The flat and smooth road surface could soon go for a burton if you don't control what people bring onto the carriageway.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

If they can do a Ciclovia in Los Angeles, Birmingham should be a push-over...https://thecitypaperbogota.com/bogota/b ... eles/20255
vlad

Post by vlad »

Some people have criticised the idea already (link)
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 07:32 Flat as in no steps. That's pretty crucial for many mobility impaired people.
Ah - but how steep is the step-free access? I know several people for whom a ramp may as well be a 10' wall.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

vlad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 19:37 Some people have criticised the idea already (link)
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 07:32 Flat as in no steps. That's pretty crucial for many mobility impaired people.
Ah - but how steep is the step-free access? I know several people for whom a ramp may as well be a 10' wall.
Anything worse than 1 in 20 is bad - but motorway slips should be much shallower than that.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
IAN

Post by IAN »

Hope that the surface isn't damaged - Remember the AWPR event. IIRC correctly it was oil spillage that caused the problems there.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 20:53
vlad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 19:37 Some people have criticised the idea already (link)
Anything worse than 1 in 20 is bad - but motorway slips should be much shallower than that.
Surely it is not beyond the wit of humankind to rent a forklift truck to form a temporary elevator to get mobility impaired participants down to and back up from the road surface?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I'd be surprised if the event were to take place on the elevated section between Spaghetti and Victoria Road, simply due to the fact that it's obviously some 25 feet up in the air with edges protected by quite low, readily climbable barriers.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

It's an interesting idea and we need to start realising there is life after frequent car use even if you don't like it.

Still amazes me that people struggle with the difference between Flat and Level.
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 23:42

Surely it is not beyond the wit of humankind to rent a forklift truck to form a temporary elevator to get mobility impaired participants down to and back up from the road surface?
I think anybody in a wheelchair would rather take their chances on an open Aston Expressway over being lifted up and down by a Forklift truck.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Road maintenance hat on here...

It would be a great opportunity to carry out detailed inspections and any maintenance activity in daylight. Opportunities like this don't come often. As long as all the hippies don't mind the smell of asphalt and dodging road sweepers then I'm all for it. :P
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

JF2309 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 14:39
mikehindsonevans wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 23:42

I think anybody in a wheelchair would rather take their chances on an open Aston Expressway over being lifted up and down by a Forklift truck.
Or if you’re a daredevil, live life to the full and freewheel down the slip roads :laugh:
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

HandShandy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:01 Road maintenance hat on here...

It would be a great opportunity to carry out detailed inspections and any maintenance activity in daylight. Opportunities like this don't come often. As long as all the hippies don't mind the smell of asphalt and dodging road sweepers then I'm all for it. :P
I'm rather partial to the smell of asphalt. :D
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Who wouldn't want to explore the Aston Distressway?

Err, anybody normal. It's going in my diary right away. It's like when at university I used to love walking along the middle of the road at 3am just because I could.

If access is an issue could an accessible bus be provided? Having been in a fork lift truck cage in use as an improvised lift it certainly doesn't seem safe for anyone less than fully mobile.

I'm sure there will have to be security to stop things being left behind or vehicles being driven along the closed road (in both cased either accidentally or otherwise).

SABRE away day?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 19:47If access is an issue could an accessible bus be provided? Having been in a fork lift truck cage in use as an improvised lift it certainly doesn't seem safe for anyone less than fully mobile.
I don't think access is an issue at all and I'm slightly baffled that anyone thinks it is. No matter how you get on the Aston Expressway, you will be using a sliproad that is considerably wider and far more gently sloped than most wheelchair ramps. Who exactly is going to have such difficulty navigating a smooth, gentle slope that they will need alternative access arrangements? :confused: