M11, New Junction 7a

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: M11, New Junction 7a

Post by c2R »

hoopdog wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:30 Some new signage is now up at the new hamburger junction at Churchgate Street, looks like Gilden Way is going to be the A1025 from the A414 to J7a. This number is already in use in the town for Second and Third Avenues.
Indeed - see link in my post above: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40361&start=40#p1190041
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

doebag

Post by doebag »

Came through the M1 on Thursday. The slip roads look like they just need painting/marking to be finished.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

My recently updated Satnav thinks this junction is already open, and suggested I turn off there a week ago.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

doebag wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:39 Came through the M1 on Thursday. The slip roads look like they just need painting/marking to be finished.
Must have been a clear day to see it from there! :wink:
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

New junction to open next month, confirmed today.
oasis

Post by oasis »

7a has really long double exit slip roads from the M11 onto the junction, but the slip roads from the junction to join the M11 seem quite short for a new junction. Might just be me with this observation, but it would seem that the cars joining the M11 would be forced to merge onto the main carriageway almost immediately.
Phil

Post by Phil »

oasis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 23:16 7a has really long double exit slip roads from the M11 onto the junction, but the slip roads from the junction to join the M11 seem quite short for a new junction. Might just be me with this observation, but it would seem that the cars joining the M11 would be forced to merge onto the main carriageway almost immediately.
The cynic in me says NH know the junction is going to be overloaded so have built in lots of 'stacking space' on the off slips. The on slips are presumably as short as they can get away with so as to save money.
The God of Biscuits

Post by The God of Biscuits »

Runwell wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 17:51 New junction to open next month, confirmed today.
Further to the previous update, the new junction (and associated link roads) are opening on Friday June 10th. Source: the latest update newsletter I was sent by Graham Construction. There's going to be a fun run on the new road the evening of the 9th, and a similar update to the newsletter has been posted to the scheme page on the Essex Highways website, which alludes that the road might actually open on the 9th as soon as the fun run is complete.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The new M11 Junction 7a is expected to open at around 8pm this evening (10th of June)
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 14:34 The new M11 Junction 7a is expected to open at around 8pm this evening (10th of June)
Are there any new signs up for the A1025? I’d be interested to know if it’ll be primary or not.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I haven't seen the new signage as I moved out of Harlow early last year (now live in Cornwall). It does seem rather strange that the new road into Harlow from the M11 is being numbered as the A1025 as it doesn't link to the rest of it, also to get to the centre of town you would surely continue ahead at the A414 (Marks Hall Roundabout) onto the unclassified road (First Avenue) rather than taking the A414 to reach the A1025 at the Clock Tower Roundabout to turn right onto Second Avenue towards the town centre. If you use both sections of the A1025 then this would surely be the longer route. The A1184 would surely have been a better number for the new link road to the M11.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 19:27 I haven't seen the new signage as I moved out of Harlow early last year (now live in Cornwall). It does seem rather strange that the new road into Harlow from the M11 is being numbered as the A1025 as it doesn't link to the rest of it, also to get to the centre of town you would surely continue ahead at the A414 (Marks Hall Roundabout) onto the unclassified road (First Avenue) rather than taking the A414 to reach the A1025 at the Clock Tower Roundabout to turn right onto Second Avenue towards the town centre. If you use both sections of the A1025 then this would surely be the longer route. The A1184 would surely have been a better number for the new link road to the M11.
I agree with all this, but unfortunately most local authorities have little interest in useful road numbering - when a change is needed it's common to just see any nearby number extended. Whether it makes sense as a complete route is not seemingly important!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Apologies for the double post, but I've answered my own question - the new link road is non primary.

There are some of the new signs visible on this dreadful local news website and they're all black and white.
The God of Biscuits

Post by The God of Biscuits »

I used the new junction (and associated link roads) for the first time today. There's still a little bit of tidying-up work going on in the Churchgate Street bit. Initial thoughts:
- The parallel diverge on the southbound offslip has a very 'heavy-duty' feel to it, and must be future proofing for the future demand from an eventual full Harlow Northern bypass.
- They have seen sense with the eastbound carriageway over the M11 and marked it as one wide lane rather than two, so there shouldn't be any craziness going on there from traffic heading for the southbound onslip.
- I still don't get why the junction isn't a dog bone rather than a dumbbell...
- The northbound onslip does feel very short, but is noticeably very steep so there really isn't any problem getting up to merging speed.
- The dual carriageway link between the M11 junction and the Campions roundabout is of course a relatively recent redesign to take account of the 'missing' link road and roundabout from the original design and is quite steep and curved - it really does feel like it is on the alignment of a future offslip.
- They will need to patch quite a few signs in Harlow to account for the new junction, and possibly rejig lane markings/assignments to deal with the [very different] different traffic flows that are likely to result.
- Going northbound from 7 to 7a, the junction is signed every 1/3 of a mile rather than every 1/2 like usual - not sure why.

In general though, very good and a few months early as well!
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

The God of Biscuits wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 15:55 I used the new junction (and associated link roads) for the first time today. There's still a little bit of tidying-up work going on in the Churchgate Street bit. Initial thoughts:
- The parallel diverge on the southbound offslip has a very 'heavy-duty' feel to it, and must be future proofing for the future demand from an eventual full Harlow Northern bypass.
- They have seen sense with the eastbound carriageway over the M11 and marked it as one wide lane rather than two, so there shouldn't be any craziness going on there from traffic heading for the southbound onslip.
- I still don't get why the junction isn't a dog bone rather than a dumbbell...
- The northbound onslip does feel very short, but is noticeably very steep so there really isn't any problem getting up to merging speed.
- The dual carriageway link between the M11 junction and the Campions roundabout is of course a relatively recent redesign to take account of the 'missing' link road and roundabout from the original design and is quite steep and curved - it really does feel like it is on the alignment of a future offslip.
- They will need to patch quite a few signs in Harlow to account for the new junction, and possibly rejig lane markings/assignments to deal with the [very different] different traffic flows that are likely to result.
- Going northbound from 7 to 7a, the junction is signed every 1/3 of a mile rather than every 1/2 like usual - not sure why.

In general though, very good and a few months early as well!
Apparently doesn't show up as built on OSM & Google Maps.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

. . .And have they forgotten the chopsticks on the blue Motorway Direction Panels?!

I bet they have, the blue pointer sign pointing down the M11 North On–Slip for Stansted Airport and Cambridge hadn't any on it on the pictures of the local Retch News Site!

Chris Williams
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

It's shown as built on OSM now, but A1025 seems a bit of new number?
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

JackieRoads wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 16:59 It's shown as built on OSM now, but A1025 seems a bit of new number?
The rest of the A1025 is the other side of the A414 (and one junction south). I would have thought that Gilden Way would be renumbered to A1025, then you've only got a short multiplex with the A414. As OSM currently shows it, the A1025 multiplexes with the B183 with the B183 as the dominant number, which doesn't seem very likely.

Though really First Avenue needs an upgraded classification too, as it's the obvious route from the new junction to the town centre.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 19:50The rest of the A1025 is the other side of the A414 (and one junction south). I would have thought that Gilden Way would be renumbered to A1025, then you've only got a short multiplex with the A414. As OSM currently shows it, the A1025 multiplexes with the B183 with the B183 as the dominant number, which doesn't seem very likely.
I can't find pictures of the new signs on Gilden Way but I'd be surprised if it wasn't now numbered A1025. Is this just a case where OSM hasn't yet seen the evidence of the renumbering so they haven't updated the map?