Two Lane Drop Junctions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: Two Lane Drop Junctions

Post by jackal »

Johnathan404 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 13:27 Speaking of D5s, there is of course a triple lane drop/lane gain at M2/M5 in Northern Ireland (but it's a totso)
Likewise you could claim the M8 eastbound at Townhead as a triple lane drop. But really such cases are, as JosephA22 says, smaller offside lane drops.

I don't think it's the designation that's important here, but rather the number of lanes. So on reflection I think something can't count as a lane drop if it has more lanes than the continuation of the road it's supposedly dropping from. That means you need at least six lanes to generate a triple lane drop, so only M25 J14-15 could have one (and does).
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Duple wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 20:07 M6 Jnc 4A southbound I guess technically fits this ?
I was going to say M6 J3A northbound (the lane drop is for the M42S and M6N, with the "straight on" for the M6 Toll and M42N, so a huge amount of capacity is needed on the dropped lanes). Not sure if that's a pure enough example, though, as it's a pretty complex junction (in the layout it will have after the current smart motorway works are completed, it'll be two lanes expanding to three, then all get dropped, with two lanes continuing straight on).
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Does the eastern end of the M67 count? Rapid reduction from D3M to just one lane for the vast majority of traffic continuing east onto the A57.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

M5 northbound at 4a.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Perhaps this thread would be better as a Wiki page?
jervi

Post by jervi »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:15 Perhaps this thread would be better as a Wiki page?
That's what I was initially thinking when creating the thread, or maybe it is just suited to being a category?
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

jervi wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 17:42 That's what I was initially thinking when creating the thread, or maybe it is just suited to being a category?
A separate wiki-page would make sense... not every junction (or even close to it) has its own page
paully

Post by paully »

A few in Scotland:

M9 Southbound - J1 - three lane drop if you include the bus lane which also exits
M9 Northbound - J1A
M8 Eastbound - J13
M8 Eastbound - J15 (1 lane leaves on left side, one on right!)
M8 Westbound - J15
M8 Westbound - J20
M8 Eastbound - J21
M74/outer carriageway of M8 at Tradeston (possibly numbered as M74 J1)

There are a few more contentious ones where the second lane only appears just before the junction - I have left these out.

(Edit - I forgot about M74 Southbound at J6)
Last edited by paully on Fri Jul 19, 2019 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

M2 (NI) southbound at York Street/the Lagan Bridge approach, depending on where you consider the M2 ends and the M3 begins.