Signs on Dartmoor

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Signs on Dartmoor

Post by Berk »

On my travels, I’ve seen some unusual-looking Worboys-style signs on Dartmoor. You may know them, they have a light brown/pale dark red border.

Did Devon get special dispensation to use this border?? Most of them look mid-80s vintage, when they would’ve been expected to have light/royal blue borders.
Lockwood

Re: Signs on Dartmoor

Post by Lockwood »

Devon has its own signs as well. They are coloured differently for different types of tourist traffic.
harlow71

Post by harlow71 »

These signs were initially only used on Dartmoor, and then rolled out county wide at a later date. I recall in the early 80's that on the approaches to Dartmoor, there being signs with a key to what the different colour borders meant. I don't know if there are any of these still in existence.
Viator

Post by Viator »

See the thread at viewtopic.php?t=15950
Berk

Post by Berk »

Only discovered that thread after I’d Googled it!! 🤭