The Memorable Junctions Thread

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

The Memorable Junctions Thread

Post by jervi »

Not sure if a similar thread exists... but I want to see some of the most memorable junctions to the members of sabre.
It can be any junction, for any reason. Whether it is one that has some special features, one that is designed perfectly, one that you have had an accident at, or any reason at all.

Personally my most memorable junction is the A15 / B1193 (former A151) at Bourne, Lincolnshire. This is because:
* It features old signage old signage
* bus stop within the junction
* Has Stop Lines (at traffic lights) both before you enter the junction, as well as leaving the junction. Meaning that you cannot clear the junction if lights turn red. Never seen that elsewhere. (Presumably this is due to otherwise buses at the bus stop could clear the junction when pedestrians are crossing)
* Has a very european looking sign at the taxi rank, legally speaking, the sign makes no difference as vehicles could not wait/park there due to the double yellow, and it doesn't actually give exception to taxis. But oh well.
* Stack and Flag style signs on the same backboard. Haven't seen that elsewhere either.
Berk

Re: The Memorable Junctions Thread

Post by Berk »

I guess I’m so familiar with the junction it doesn’t seem so remarkable to me, even though I recognise all the points you made.

That sign in the taxi rank is just a clearway sign. I wasn’t even aware there was one for the rank.

Another thing: the Worboys signage to Grantham and Melton is technically incorrect, surely?? Melton should have (B676) in brackets, and Grantham should probably have (A1), although other routes exist.
avtur

Post by avtur »

The 'Magic Roundabout' in Hemel Hempstead ... a roundabout of roundabouts ... :)
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Why not just call this "Memorable Junctions"?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Before 1994 taxi ranks used a full size clearway sign and supplementary plate.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

:bye: Tingley: Can't be bothered to go round the roundabout? Just go through the middle!
:wink:Mottram: Always on green straight on filter and no stop line
:driving:Rainworth Bypass:Monster gap for the big ass flyover that never arrived
:wow:Walkley Bank: turn right here to feel like you're about to topple over
:furious:Hopgrove Roundabout:Hard not to remember it when you spend so long queueing to use it
:shock:Morley: WTF? but not as bad when you get there as the sign makes it look
:confused:Normanton: strange right turn through the middle
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Always, without a doubt, the junction at Brighton Marina. It's hard to think of a better example of "working with the landscape" than treating a clifftop like a giant flyover!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham