Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

Post by Glenn A »

haymansafc wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:37 The majority of the A66 east of Brough is already dualled, so it’s basically be a case of tying up the 'loose ends' in-between the M6 and A1(M).

I presume when they refer to the 'single lane carriageway on the A39 Atlantic Highway' is Camelford? That's been screaming out for a bypass for many years and was surprised when it was shelved a decade ago.
Interesting. I wonder what is meant by 'improvements' along the Shropshire section of the A5. I highly doubt it means dualling.
I'm all in favour of dualling the remaining S2 sections of the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner, but the section from Bridgefoot to Papcastle, where the A66 multiplexes with the A595, was identified in the noughties by Cumbria County Council for dualling as it is the busiest section west of Penrith. ( I know in the tourist season you could say the same of Penrith- Keswick, but this isn't consistently busy and had overtaking lanes built on the worst sections in the nineties).
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 13:11
I'm all in favour of dualling the remaining S2 sections of the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner, but the section from Bridgefoot to Papcastle, where the A66 multiplexes with the A595, was identified in the noughties by Cumbria County Council for dualling as it is the busiest section west of Penrith. ( I know in the tourist season you could say the same of Penrith- Keswick, but this isn't consistently busy and had overtaking lanes built on the worst sections in the nineties).
There are plenty more substandard sections of the A66, the Darlington Southern bypass is a good example and the humongous new Amazon distribution centre will not improve it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.52146 ... 8192?hl=en
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I've just noticed from the report on RIS2 at roads.org.uk that the "expressway" scheme for the Stanwick/Thrapston section of the A45 - which was presumably to do with dualing the "missing link" in the A45 between the A1 and A14 - has been cancelled.

I don't suppose it's the end of the world but it really is a bit a pain that this obviously sub-standard bottleneck is going to continue.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

jackal wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50
Rillington wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 00:11
jackal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 18:47 Schemes given approval to proceed to the next stage:

A1079 improvement – East Riding of Yorkshire
Which bit of the A1079 are we talking about?
"A new 2.2km section of dual carriageway on the A1079 at Wilberfoss, new junction to improve access from Wilberfoss on to a key strategic route, footway/ cycle provision, safe drop off/pick up point for bus passengers."
Any updates on this proposal?
jackal

Post by jackal »

Not really any updates. There is a longstanding campaign to make the junctions at Wilberfoss roundabouts so I imagine the new junction will be one of these.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

roadtester wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 14:13 I've just noticed from the report on RIS2 at roads.org.uk that the "expressway" scheme for the Stanwick/Thrapston section of the A45 - which was presumably to do with dualing the "missing link" in the A45 between the A1 and A14 - has been cancelled.

I don't suppose it's the end of the world but it really is a bit a pain that this obviously sub-standard bottleneck is going to continue.
This is the truly infuriating thing. All these talks of brand new expressways (the A428 springs to mind right now), but we can't even sort out short gaps like this which if anything pose bigger problems for road safety as you've got a junk road between two relatively high standard bits.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 14:13 I've just noticed from the report on RIS2 at roads.org.uk that the "expressway" scheme for the Stanwick/Thrapston section of the A45 - which was presumably to do with dualing the "missing link" in the A45 between the A1 and A14 - has been cancelled.

This is an example of why pushing such things as Expressways is a very bad idea. Thrapston to Stanwick is around a 6 miles of S2 road at the north eastern end of a mainly D2 route. As such its comparable to dualling the remaining sections of the A47 as it runs across open country on a good alignment that looks to be adequate for the purpose. The moment you call it an Expressway that raises the spectre of motorway type construction with traffic restrictions, GSJ's and all the cost that implies.

The link is not of course between the A1 and A14 but between the A14 and the M1 at Northampton, I assume that was a typo on your part.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:04 This is the truly infuriating thing. All these talks of brand new expressways (the A428 springs to mind right now), but we can't even sort out short gaps like this which if anything pose bigger problems for road safety as you've got a junk road between two relatively high standard bits.

Dualling the remaining A428 from Caxton Gibbet is in fact in RIS 2 but I take your point.
M19

Post by M19 »

KeithW wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40

This is an example of why pushing such things as Expressways is a very bad idea. Thrapston to Stanwick is around a 6 miles of S2 road at the north eastern end of a mainly D2 route. As such its comparable to dualling the remaining sections of the A47 as it runs across open country on a good alignment that looks to be adequate for the purpose. The moment you call it an Expressway that raises the spectre of motorway type construction with traffic restrictions, GSJ's and all the cost that implies.

The link is not of course between the A1 and A14 but between the A14 and the M1 at Northampton, I assume that was a typo on your part.
Not forgetting the very unexpresswaylike “improvememts” at the Chowns Mill Roundabout that involves an expensive way to make traffic queue a bit differently at the junction, instead of grade separation.
M19
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Dualling the remaining sections of the A64 between York and Scarborough and by passing the remaining settlements along this road should be a priority. The road is very busy in the summer and tractors and slow moving lorries can cause huge tailbacks.
Another pet peeve of mine, the A75 west of Newton Stewart and in particular, the 30 mph section through Drunragit, which should be by passed as a priority as this is a huge anomaly on a road that has been largely improved in the last 40 years.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 13:33 Another pet peeve of mine, the A75 west of Newton Stewart and in particular, the 30 mph section through Drunragit, which should be by passed as a priority as this is a huge anomaly on a road that has been largely improved in the last 40 years.
That falls under the Aegis of the Scottish Government so don't hold your breath.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 13:33 Dualling the remaining sections of the A64 between York and Scarborough and by passing the remaining settlements along this road should be a priority. The road is very busy in the summer and tractors and slow moving lorries can cause huge tailbacks.
Another pet peeve of mine, the A75 west of Newton Stewart and in particular, the 30 mph section through Drunragit, which should be by passed as a priority as this is a huge anomaly on a road that has been largely improved in the last 40 years.
Dunragit was bypassed several years ago.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 13:33 Dualling the remaining sections of the A64 between York and Scarborough and by passing the remaining settlements along this road should be a priority. The road is very busy in the summer and tractors and slow moving lorries can cause huge tailbacks.
I did some work with the MP and wider constituency (York Outer) on this issue at the election and to be honest Julian tried his best in terms of lobbying etc. Even the MP for Scarborough chipped in but being a safe-ish seat it was difficult to get the push needed on this project.

What is proposed too is not worth it imo. It can't be that hard to get a GSJ at Hopgrove and D2 to Malton? Scarborough need a big regeneration programme and dualling to Seamer is obvious in providing that stimulus in lieu of it at the moment not having the best of train services.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I did some work with the MP and wider constituency (York Outer) on this issue at the election and to be honest Julian tried his best in terms of lobbying etc. Even the MP for Scarborough chipped in but being a safe-ish seat it was difficult to get the push needed on this project.

What is proposed too is not worth it imo. It can't be that hard to get a GSJ at Hopgrove and D2 to Malton? Scarborough need a big regeneration programme and dualling to Seamer is obvious in providing that stimulus in lieu of it at the moment not having the best of train services.
What’s crazy is the Scarborough area is the most visited holiday area outside London for the past few years, beating Blackpool with the M55 or the South West, just shows even with the A64 people want to go but with a dualled A64 it would thrive even more, Hopgrove is the most congested Junction in the Yorkshire and Humber area which is pretty incredible considering all the major motorways and Junctions within the area, this just shows how poor the A64 is, York to Malton needs sorting ASAP, not only do we see people’s time wasted in congestion but sadly so many wasted lives on that road, it’s simply too busy to be S2.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 23:56

What’s crazy is the Scarborough area is the most visited holiday area outside London for the past few years, beating Blackpool with the M55 or the South West, just shows even with the A64 people want to go but with a dualled A64 it would thrive even more, Hopgrove is the most congested Junction in the Yorkshire and Humber area which is pretty incredible considering all the major motorways and Junctions within the area, this just shows how poor the A64 is, York to Malton needs sorting ASAP, not only do we see people’s time wasted in congestion but sadly so many wasted lives on that road, it’s simply too busy to be S2.
It is still very popular and possibly with people unwilling to go abroad if coronavirus continues, Scarborough is going to get busier. There is a decent train service from York, but this doesn't seem to reduce the congestion on the A64.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 09:34

It is still very popular and possibly with people unwilling to go abroad if coronavirus continues, Scarborough is going to get busier. There is a decent train service from York, but this doesn't seem to reduce the congestion on the A64.
From where I am, about 30 miles north of London, Scarborough is definitely a quicker journey than Blackpool and I think, what might be regarded as 'the real South West' as in beyond Exeter.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 13:33 Another pet peeve of mine, the A75 west of Newton Stewart and in particular, the 30 mph section through Drunragit, which should be by passed as a priority as this is a huge anomaly on a road that has been largely improved in the last 40 years.
Err, what's this then? The Dunragit Bypass is there large as life on the 2016 1:250k map on SABRE Maps (and succeeding versions), but is not shown one the 2013 revision. You're somewhere between 5 and 8 years behind reality there.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Roavin

Post by Roavin »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 09:34

Although, the congestion is worse on the York-Malton section as a solid portion of the holiday traffic heads off on to the A169 towards Whitby or the Moors.

For that reason I would argue fully dualing the York-Malton section is much more necessary than dualing or adding bypasses to the Malton-Seamer section.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Although, the congestion is worse on the York-Malton section as a solid portion of the holiday traffic heads off on to the A169 towards Whitby or the Moors.

For that reason I would argue fully dualing the York-Malton section is much more necessary than dualing or adding bypasses to the Malton-Seamer section.
That’s pretty much what’s proposed, get the worst section sorted then plan the section east of Malton, York to Malton is the worst pretty much daily congestion as it is now as I write this, obviously with an improved York to Malton section this will encourage more people to use the A64 that currently avoid it, although we loose a good chunk onto the A169 at Malton levels east would be higher with the improvements west of Malton.....

What I would do as the sensible option is to dual York to Malton then plan in a dual carriageway from the east end of the Malton bypass to bypass Rillington and end the dual carriageway on a roundabout at the B1258 Junction, the B1258 takes a good 5k vehicles off the A64 so east of that could manage with say a Sherburn bypass and overtaking lanes, that way you are not creating a bottleneck at Malton where you would reduce to single carriageway then straight into the Rillington traffic lights, put the D2 terminus at a location where traffic has spread out and it can cope with the reduction and the B1258 is ideal as quite a few take that route to Scarborough.
Roavin

Post by Roavin »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:09

That’s pretty much what’s proposed, get the worst section sorted then plan the section east of Malton, York to Malton is the worst pretty much daily congestion as it is now as I write this, obviously with an improved York to Malton section this will encourage more people to use the A64 that currently avoid it, although we loose a good chunk onto the A169 at Malton levels east would be higher with the improvements west of Malton.....

What I would do as the sensible option is to dual York to Malton then plan in a dual carriageway from the east end of the Malton bypass to bypass Rillington and end the dual carriageway on a roundabout at the B1258 Junction, the B1258 takes a good 5k vehicles off the A64 so east of that could manage with say a Sherburn bypass and overtaking lanes, that way you are not creating a bottleneck at Malton where you would reduce to single carriageway then straight into the Rillington traffic lights, put the D2 terminus at a location where traffic has spread out and it can cope with the reduction and the B1258 is ideal as quite a few take that route to Scarborough.
I don't know that side of the A64 very well, but that sounds like a sensible proposal.