Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

Post by WHBM »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 09:36 I'm sure the usual token active travel provision that goes from nowhere to sodall will be put in.
Isn't this sort of thing done so the scheme can raid the separate budget allocation for cycles, buses, etc, rather than any inherent usefulness.

I was advised that the bus lanes on the A13 in London, where no bus has ever run, were put in so that the appropriate proportion of road square metres could be allocated to such a different budget.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51743 ... 384!8i8192
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

WHBM wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 07:26
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 09:36 I'm sure the usual token active travel provision that goes from nowhere to sodall will be put in.
Isn't this sort of thing done so the scheme can raid the separate budget allocation for cycles, buses, etc, rather than any inherent usefulness.
Hahaha hahaha. ..oh, you were being serious?

The last thing I heard regarding the designated funds for cycling and safety were that no more bids were being looked at (presumably for that financial year) because HE didn't have enough staff, I think the word used was over-resourced (which I would have thought meant the opposite, but there you go, the ways of HE are mysterious).
fras

Post by fras »

WHBM wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 07:26

I was advised that the bus lanes on the A13 in London, where no bus has ever run, were put in so that the appropriate proportion of road square metres could be allocated to such a different budget.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51743 ... 384!8i8192
No, it's so they can install cameras every 100 yards and whallop people for entering the "bus" lane. Its £130 penalty for this, so you can seen their eagerness to have bus lanes in every street in London.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 16:30 In amongst this all was the line
  • Southampton West Quay road realignment
I've been trying to find what this meant... the best I've found is Connected Southampton - Transport Strategy 2040 (page 63):
We are proposing to develop solutions to improve the Inner Ring Road in sections:
  • West Quay Road – including options for realignment to the west to release the opportunity to downgrade the existing West Quay Road so to connect future development on Western Gateway with Southampton Central station hub the rest of the City Centre both east and south, and provide a sustainable transport led corridor. The realigned road will provide reliable connections to the Port, Western Gateway, Royal Pier and City Centre.
Anyone got anything better?
There’s a map showing the realigned route in blue on page 89 of your linked doc - does that clarify it a little? I guess it aims to enlarge the commercial area by hiding the through traffic behind it?

Paul
jackal

Post by jackal »

The RIS2 schemes are apparently to be announced on Saturday 2 November.

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/ne ... 1-10039331
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Paul7755 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 19:22
Micro The Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 16:30 In amongst this all was the line
  • Southampton West Quay road realignment
I've been trying to find what this meant... the best I've found is Connected Southampton - Transport Strategy 2040 (page 63):
We are proposing to develop solutions to improve the Inner Ring Road in sections:
  • West Quay Road – including options for realignment to the west to release the opportunity to downgrade the existing West Quay Road so to connect future development on Western Gateway with Southampton Central station hub the rest of the City Centre both east and south, and provide a sustainable transport led corridor. The realigned road will provide reliable connections to the Port, Western Gateway, Royal Pier and City Centre.
Anyone got anything better?
There’s a map showing the realigned route in blue on page 89 of your linked doc - does that clarify it a little? I guess it aims to enlarge the commercial area by hiding the through traffic behind it?

Paul
Interesting; it looks like it goes right through the middle of the Holiday Inn - I'd sort of thought it would be a widening of Herbert Walker Avenue and Solent Way, but it looks like a new route entirely.... How strange...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Paul7755 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 19:22 There’s a map showing the realigned route in blue on page 89 of your linked doc - does that clarify it a little? I guess it aims to enlarge the commercial area by hiding the through traffic behind it?
And it's worth adding that the Watermark WestQuay project has effectively moved the city centre to this area, or at least expanded it. This is a big change for an area which was entirely industrial 25 years ago.

In the last five years I have noticed a massive increase in pedestrian activity around Harbour Parade, which used to be totally dead when the shopping centre closed. This is especially problematic for the leisure park, because you would never have bothered walking there in the past, but now there are lots of people close by who might try to.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

c2R wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 17:33
Paul7755 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 19:22 There’s a map showing the realigned route in blue on page 89 of your linked doc - does that clarify it a little? I guess it aims to enlarge the commercial area by hiding the through traffic behind it?

Paul
Interesting; it looks like it goes right through the middle of the Holiday Inn - I'd sort of thought it would be a widening of Herbert Walker Avenue and Solent Way, but it looks like a new route entirely.... How strange...
Yes, that’s odd isn’t it. Maybe just a bit of “curve smoothing” that won’t make the final design. I think Herbert Walker Ave is wide enough for four lanes alongside the Holiday Inn, but the question I had was whether they actually need the dock gate 8 entrance as well, so would there need to be another junction - or perhaps make it one way into the docks?
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

jackal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 18:47 Schemes given approval to proceed to the next stage:

A1079 improvement – East Riding of Yorkshire
Which bit of the A1079 are we talking about?
jackal

Post by jackal »

Rillington wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 00:11
jackal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 18:47 Schemes given approval to proceed to the next stage:

A1079 improvement – East Riding of Yorkshire
Which bit of the A1079 are we talking about?
"A new 2.2km section of dual carriageway on the A1079 at Wilberfoss, new junction to improve access from Wilberfoss on to a key strategic route, footway/ cycle provision, safe drop off/pick up point for bus passengers."

https://web.archive.org/web/20190822153 ... -North.pdf
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

The RIS2 schemes are apparently to be announced on Saturday 2 November.

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/ne ... 1-10039331
I’ve read a few things lately written by different local papers and not sure where the information comes from, firstly after this announcement people were kicking off that the A64 wasn’t mentioned and then another paper said it was due to the fact this announcement was only for the new major roads network schemes....well that isn’t true as a few strategic roads were mentioned but these were the likes of the A66 which was always to be done before the A64.

As far as I’m aware the A64 scheme originally was the Hopgrove roundabout junction improvement with up to £250 million allowed for it, this was of course then due to be changed to a dualling scheme after local councillors said dualling was more needed than the Junction upgrade, also the feasibility study backed this up, so it was subject to review to be included as apparently it needed much more money than expected as all side roads needed bridges after studies came back saying how much traffic is currently avoiding the congested A64 and this would mean the dualled A64 had to be to a much higher standard as traffic flows could double on opening.... so it’s not on hold as stated in the papers it’s just hopefully to be included in the 2nd November announcement.

One thing I did notice talking of the major roads network was that the A1237 was announced as one of the first major roads network schemes last year yet wasn’t mentioned here is this now dropped?
jackal

Post by jackal »

^ The A1237 was not announced simply because it had already been announced.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

jackal wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 20:10 ^ The A1237 was not announced simply because it had already been announced.
That doesn't normally stop them...
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Just following on from my previous post it seems I was a little premature asking about the A1237 it's just been confirmed on the news that phase 1 of the dualling of the A1237 this is the A19 to A64 Hopgrove has been fully approved and funding given, so seems half of the A1237 will be dualled.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

So no mention of improving one of the worst roads in Britain, the A1 in West Yorkshire, which is totally unfit for purpose and like in North Yorkshire, should be upgraded to D3M. Also as has been pointed out on another post, the A1M Doncaster by pass, which is D2M, should be replaced by a new D3M.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Both of which are in RIS2. They haven’t fallen down the back of the filing cabinet yet.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Berk wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 18:56 Both of which are in RIS2. They haven’t fallen down the back of the filing cabinet yet.
Yet this should be a priority. You go from a relatively new D3M, to some 1960s D2 that is one of the most dangerous and stressful D2s in the country. I know you're encouraged to join the M1 to go south, but the A1 is still very important.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I’ve lived next to the A1 near Darrington for just over a year now and I always knew it was bad but I simply didn’t realise how many accidents it has until you see it daily, I was working from home 2 weeks ago on a weekday (normally I’m away from home) and both directions were pretty much standstill or crawling most of the day with at least 3 accidents and the traffic never recovered.

I would go as far as to say that the A1 between the M62 and Redhouse is the worst dual carriageway in the country, although as Glenn says we are encouraged to flow onto the M1 the A1 is still the favourite and shortest route via the M18 to get to the M1, it’s overloaded, out of date and dangerous, it simply cannot cope with the weight of traffic hence all the accidents, as mentioned it is still going ahead to be upgraded and the full announcement for roads period 2 is 2nd November I believe.
Berk

Post by Berk »

The A1 between Peterborough and Stamford is just as bad (some would even say as far as Grantham); there are accidents nearly every single day, sometimes major.

And yet there are no plans in the pipeline.
Last edited by Berk on Sun Oct 20, 2019 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Berk wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 20:42 The A1 between Peterborough and Stanford is just as bad (some would even say as far as Grantham); there are accidents nearly every single day, sometimes major.

And yet there are no plans in the pipeline.
That section of road I don't find too bad, it's not horrific. Its alignment is good, however the vertical alignment is dreadful in places and of course it only being D2. But I will say that the junctions are horrid. All the junctions around Stanford, I'd say traffic shouldn't be going any faster than 60MPH, maybe 50MPH on that section. And the A47 junction, the width of those slip roads always surprises me.