Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A320Driver

Re: Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

Post by A320Driver »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 09:34
On the other hand, I can park for six hours at the Guildford's Friary Centre car park for the price of one adult tickets on the Park-and-Ride. For Basingstoke's Park-and-Ride, our usual two adults and two children equate to seven hours parking in Festival Place. And in both cases, there is not the faff of waiting for, then carrying stuff onto, a bus.
The Guildford P&R is £1.80 return for adults, whereas the multi-storey car parks are £1.30 per hour. For a lone traveller it is a no-brainer, I suppose once you have more than 2 passengers you would need to be in town for several hours to make it worthwhile.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

A320Driver wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57
Micro The Maniac wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 09:34
On the other hand, I can park for six hours at the Guildford's Friary Centre car park for the price of one adult tickets on the Park-and-Ride. For Basingstoke's Park-and-Ride, our usual two adults and two children equate to seven hours parking in Festival Place. And in both cases, there is not the faff of waiting for, then carrying stuff onto, a bus.
The Guildford P&R is £1.80 return for adults, whereas the multi-storey car parks are £1.30 per hour. For a lone traveller it is a no-brainer, I suppose once you have more than 2 passengers you would need to be in town for several hours to make it worthwhile.
Is the P&R about vehicles or people? Surely if it's all about getting cars off the road and the occupants onto other forms of transport then there should be a charge per car load not per person? I bet the multi-storey in town doesn't charge more if you bring passengers.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

A320Driver wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 The Guildford P&R is £1.80 return for adults, whereas the multi-storey car parks are £1.30 per hour. For a lone traveller it is a no-brainer, I suppose once you have more than 2 passengers you would need to be in town for several hours to make it worthwhile.
Depends which P&R... Spectrum is £2.40 per adult - Bedford Road £2.50 for 3-6 hours
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 13:18 Is the P&R about vehicles or people? Surely if it's all about getting cars off the road and the occupants onto other forms of transport then there should be a charge per car load not per person? I bet the multi-storey in town doesn't charge more if you bring passengers.
The trouble with that is what tends to happen is people who live nearby just use the free bus service. In Cambridge the Madingley Road Park and Ride is opposite the High Cross site where AVEVA and Schlumberger have their centres. In Cambridge you dont pay to park you just pay the bus fare and up to 3 kids go free with each fare-paying passenger. Park in the City Centre for the day and it can cost you nearly £30.

The other thing is that parking in the City Centre for couple of hours is quite cheap but prices ramp up sharply for long stay

1 Hour £2.80
2 hours £4.80
3 hours £7.40
4 hours £11.70
5 hours £20.40
over 5 hours £28.30

I had 2 colleagues who parked at Madingley road and cycled in from there which cost nothing.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 Yes, exactly. We hear people waffle on about how busy high streets were in the 1970s - but look how much of the pedestrian demand was given the minimal possible room. No wonder footways on, say, Newport St in Bolton were full. That's because more than half of the demand for the road space (shoppers on foot) was confined to a tenth of the space so cars with no intention of stopping could carry on through regardless.
An example.

Briggate in Leeds in 1982. The quintissential traffic sewer running through the heart of the city centre, with crowds of people confined to the margins. So much traffic that crossing signals had to be mounted on a gantry - in the heart of the shopping district! Unimaginable to anyone under 30. Sadly, I can remember it.

Briggate in Leeds in 1999. The council had tentatively removed private cars, but buses, taxis and other motor vehicles were still allowed as through traffic. Pedestrians still tended to keep out of the 'carriageway'.

Briggate in Leeds in 2010s. Pedestrians dominate. Only deliveries allowed at certain times.

Given the choice of these three layouts I can't see anyone in their right minds wanting the 1980s, or indeed the 1990s, back.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Debaser wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 15:55
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 Yes, exactly. We hear people waffle on about how busy high streets were in the 1970s - but look how much of the pedestrian demand was given the minimal possible room. No wonder footways on, say, Newport St in Bolton were full. That's because more than half of the demand for the road space (shoppers on foot) was confined to a tenth of the space so cars with no intention of stopping could carry on through regardless.
An example.

Briggate in Leeds in 1982. The quintissential traffic sewer running through the heart of the city centre, with crowds of people confined to the margins. So much traffic that crossing signals had to be mounted on a gantry - in the heart of the shopping district! Unimaginable to anyone under 30. Sadly, I can remember it.

Briggate in Leeds in 1999. The council had tentatively removed private cars, but buses, taxis and other motor vehicles were still allowed as through traffic. Pedestrians still tended to keep out of the 'carriageway'.

Briggate in Leeds in 2010s. Pedestrians dominate. Only deliveries allowed at certain times.

Given the choice of these three layouts I can't see anyone in their right minds wanting the 1980s, or indeed the 1990s, back.
I remember Briggate - and its southbound counterpart, Vicar Lane - having signals on gantries from the late sixties at least. They weren't new in 1982, that's for certain.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 16:38
Debaser wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 15:55
An example.

I remember Briggate - and its southbound counterpart, Vicar Lane - having signals on gantries from the late sixties at least. They weren't new in 1982, that's for certain.
Late 1960s is right, it was part of the changes to flow whilst the Inner Ring Road was being built. I have seen photos showing the reverse side of said gantries having giant PEDESTRIANS CROSS HERE signs.

Hardly a sensible idea for a city centre if you want to create friendly shopping spaces; Birmingham made the same mistakes having markets in the middle of roundabouts.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 16:38
Debaser wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 15:55An example.

I remember Briggate as a busy one-way street with its horrible battleship grey signal gantries too. They persisted until the early 1990s, I think; my memory is that the road was restricted to buses and taxis around 1993-95, and by the time the 1999 photograph above was taken, the road was fully closed as it is now but not repaved. It stayed in that state - closed but with what evidently used to be a roadway down the middle - until well into the 2000s.

I couldn’t agree more that it was awful when used as a through route and nobody in their right mind would want it changing back. In a town centre “passing trade” comes from people who have got out of their cars, not from people still in them.

The gantries originally had X-Way crossing signals and were later fitted with Pelicans when those came in. The structures date from 1967, if memory serves.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 16:50 Hardly a sensible idea for a city centre if you want to create friendly shopping spaces; Birmingham made the same mistakes having markets in the middle of roundabouts.
At least with Birmingham there was no vehicle/pedestrian conflict as the markets were accessible by subways coming in from all directions. The subways themselves were lined with subterranean shops. The current Birmingham is a step backwards as everything is now at-grade forcing pedestrians to cross busy roads full of buses and taxis.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 08:09 The reason we have no major moves to encouraging modal shift is because this country thinks cycling is beneath it.

Most congestion in urban areas is people looking for parking and making trips under 3 miles that can often be made by other means.

When this point is made we get ableist drivel about "but what about the disabled".

This may be anecdotal but the acres of empty disabled parking spaces suggest to me that disabled people are not as reliant on cars as the lazy but able bodied amongst us are.
They may also need a driver and a car too. I.e. they use their blue badges when their carer is available.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 22:45 [M]y memory is that the road was restricted to buses and taxis around 1993-95, and by the time the 1999 photograph above was taken, the road was fully closed as it is now but not repaved. It stayed in that state - closed but with what evidently used to be a roadway down the middle - until well into the 2000s.
Probably. I remember people resolutely sticking to what had been the footways for a long time after the restriction on private cars (and therefore 90% of the traffic) and despite the presence of planters and latterly seating 'in the road'. I don't think it was really used properly until the change in surfacing which completely removed the footway/carriageway difference.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Debaser wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 06:43
Chris5156 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 22:45 [M]y memory is that the road was restricted to buses and taxis around 1993-95, and by the time the 1999 photograph above was taken, the road was fully closed as it is now but not repaved. It stayed in that state - closed but with what evidently used to be a roadway down the middle - until well into the 2000s.
Probably. I remember people resolutely sticking to what had been the footways for a long time after the restriction on private cars (and therefore 90% of the traffic) and despite the presence of planters and latterly seating 'in the road'. I don't think it was really used properly until the change in surfacing which completely removed the footway/carriageway difference.
Yes, I remember the same. The road was physically closed for years with metal barriers across each end and no chance of motor vehicles coming down the road, but the fact it still looked a bit like a road with footways evidently has a major psychological effect on the way people perceive the space.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 08:09 The reason we have no major moves to encouraging modal shift is because this country thinks cycling is beneath it.

Most congestion in urban areas is people looking for parking and making trips under 3 miles that can often be made by other means.

When this point is made we get ableist drivel about "but what about the disabled".

This may be anecdotal but the acres of empty disabled parking spaces suggest to me that disabled people are not as reliant on cars as the lazy but able bodied amongst us are.
I don't and regularly cycle the 5 miles to the office, still thawing out now from todays ride in at -2c.

However, the apathy towards cyclists is poor, with the infrastructure quite useless. Here in Reading and surrounding areas the provision is shared footway / cycleways which the ICE are now against. I cycle at up to 20 mph, and therefore need to be on the road. If I'm on a shared path I get shouted at by pedestrians for going to fast and if I'm on the road I get shouted at for going to slow. At least TfL have got it right with the super cycle highways
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34

I don't and regularly cycle the 5 miles to the office, still thawing out now from todays ride in at -2c.

However, the apathy towards cyclists is poor, with the infrastructure quite useless. Here in Reading and surrounding areas the provision is shared footway / cycleways which the ICE are now against. I cycle at up to 20 mph, and therefore need to be on the road. If I'm on a shared path I get shouted at by pedestrians for going to fast and if I'm on the road I get shouted at for going to slow. At least TfL have got it right with the super cycle highways
Having spent some time in the Netherlands (but not enough to actually buy my own bike), I have seen what proper cycle tracks are like. For those who have never been to the Netherlands, see here for a typical junction in suburbia adjacent to a busy city (Eindhoven). Not only that, but in the more densely populated areas, some people have converted the ground floor of their houses into bicycle parking garages for local residents.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 Here in Reading and surrounding areas the provision is shared footway / cycleways which the ICE are now against.
Is this official ICE policy, and if so is it stated anywhere?
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Vierwielen wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 22:32
A303Chris wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34

Having spent some time in the Netherlands (but not enough to actually buy my own bike), I have seen what proper cycle tracks are like. For those who have never been to the Netherlands, see here for a typical junction in suburbia adjacent to a busy city (Eindhoven). Not only that, but in the more densely populated areas, some people have converted the ground floor of their houses into bicycle parking garages for local residents.
But then some of the cycle lanes near that junction don't look much different from what we have, when you have older, narrow roads here
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Scratchwood wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:42 But then some of the cycle lanes near that junction don't look much different from what we have, when you have older, narrow roads here
Even the most ardent campaigners accept streets with, for example, vehicle speeds at or below 20mph and with flows less than 2000 motor vehicles per day don't need the full on segregation treatment. The example clearly has a 30 kph limit and is a residential access road so presumably relatively low flows.

Not exactly the UK where some engineers stick cycle symbols in the hardstrip of dual carriageway trunk roads. Murderous halfwits.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Debaser wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:05
A303Chris wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 Here in Reading and surrounding areas the provision is shared footway / cycleways which the ICE are now against.
Here it is ICE Cycle Recommendations

Which states "Cycle traffic should, therefore, never be mixed with pedestrians. Exemptions to this basic rule might be at destinations, for example, central squares, or rural routes where pedestrian volumes are very low."
The M25 - The road to nowhere
jackal

Post by jackal »

This is a very sensible rule. In too many places 'active travel' provisions actually amount to a relaxation of the usual prohibition of cycling on pavements, and therefore actually deter the dominant active travel mode (walking).
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

A303Chris wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 13:45
Debaser wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:05
Here it is ICE Cycle Recommendations

Which states "Cycle traffic should, therefore, never be mixed with pedestrians. Exemptions to this basic rule might be at destinations, for example, central squares, or rural routes where pedestrian volumes are very low."
Thank you. Very positive approach. Unfortunately not enough engineers are going to see this statement unless ICE shout it from the rooftops. (I didn't see it and I've got the book)!