Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: Chancellor to outline £25bn road upgrade projects

Post by Vierwielen »

Debaser wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 06:40
Scratchwood wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:42 But then some of the cycle lanes near that junction don't look much different from what we have, when you have older, narrow roads here
Even the most ardent campaigners accept streets with, for example, vehicle speeds at or below 20mph and with flows less than 2000 motor vehicles per day don't need the full on segregation treatment. The example clearly has a 30 kph limit and is a residential access road so presumably relatively low flows.

Not exactly the UK where some engineers stick cycle symbols in the hardstrip of dual carriageway trunk roads. Murderous halfwits.
I notice furthermore that the cycle track is continuous, unlike here.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 23:18
Debaser wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 06:40
Scratchwood wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:42 But then some of the cycle lanes near that junction don't look much different from what we have, when you have older, narrow roads here
Even the most ardent campaigners accept streets with, for example, vehicle speeds at or below 20mph and with flows less than 2000 motor vehicles per day don't need the full on segregation treatment. The example clearly has a 30 kph limit and is a residential access road so presumably relatively low flows.

Not exactly the UK where some engineers stick cycle symbols in the hardstrip of dual carriageway trunk roads. Murderous halfwits.
I notice furthermore that the cycle track is continuous, unlike here.
And in the Netherlands those strips were actually wider than a gully grate.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I'm hoping now that Trudy Harrison and Mark Jenkinson, the two Conservative MPs in west Cumbria, push for the Whitehaven relief road and work starts early in the new decade. Also a plan to build an overtaking lane on the A595 at Moota should be made a priority, as Chris Grayling mentioned this last year.
jackal

Post by jackal »

"The leaders of Cumbria County Council have written to the Government asking for improvements to the county's infrastructure, education and technology."

Major Road Network (MRN) and Large Local Major (LLM) applications:

- Kendal Northern Access Road
- A595 improvements at Grizebeck
- A595 improvements at Bothel

Highways England RIS2 requests:

- A Whitehaven Relief Road
- Dualling of the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith.
- Improvements to the A590 including an Ulverston Bypass
- Improvements to the A69/A689

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18115045 ... overnment/
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 09:26Highways England RIS2 requests:
- A Whitehaven Relief Road
- Dualling of the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith.
- Improvements to the A590 including an Ulverston Bypass
- Improvements to the A69/A689
Bit late for those - the list was finalised back in the autumn! I'd be surprised if any meaningful changes were made now.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Finalised?? If I recall, there was meant to be a massive press release at the start of November, which failed to materialise (due to political events).

Are you saying the list was finalised anyway, just not made public??
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Berk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 21:42Finalised?? If I recall, there was meant to be a massive press release at the start of November, which failed to materialise (due to political events).

Are you saying the list was finalised anyway, just not made public??
It was supposed to be part of the Chancellor's Autumn Budget speech, but the Autumn Budget never happened. I would be utterly astonished if the contents of the Budget were not known. And, as you say, a press release was also due at the start of November - there must have been something to go in it. These things take months and years of planning so it wouldn't have been put together in the ten minutes before the press release was issued.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Agreed with that, but it doesn’t mean things can’t be slotted in at the last minute.

Yes, the budget was postponed, I am assuming it would be happening either in February or around the traditional time in March.

Hopefully everything we want to see is inside it...
jackal

Post by jackal »

"Transport ministers will decide in January which projects will be included in the next Road Investment Strategy (RIS2) as part of the long-term programme to improve England’s motorways and major roads post-2020." https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/18 ... -decision/

While core of the list was decided in autumn, I'm sure items will be dropped or added as a result of electoral contingencies. The best known of these is the M1-M40 expressway (to be reviewed or dropped altogether) but there will be others.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

The Times today ran an article saying that RIS2 will be delayed until late spring/summer. Some projects possibly to be scrapped...

The reason is given as a need to reappraise the document in light of the Heathrow court case.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s a compete nightmare. Although as Bryn posted earlier, the business cases may be reasonably watertight for most schemes.

Just depressing that yet another year’s delay is added, and not even due to government action/inaction.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Total waste of time and money reappraising these schemes. Their specifics are unimportant as regards meeting the 2050 target as there will only be electric cars on the road by that point. The only relevant issue is the electricity generation mix at that point - road vehicle emissions will be a function of this.

I've not seen the article so it's possible it's nonsense or simply an excuse to delay things as government feels it has more pressing matters to attend to.
jervi

Post by jervi »

I was hoping that at latest it would be announced alongside the budget in April. Maybe the current view towards Smart Motorway has thrown a load of it uncertainty too.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 23:46 Total waste of time and money reappraising these schemes. Their specifics are unimportant as regards meeting the 2050 target as there will only be electric cars on the road by that point. The only relevant issue is the electricity generation mix at that point - road vehicle emissions will be a function of this.

I've not seen the article so it's possible it's nonsense or simply an excuse to delay things as government feels it has more pressing matters to attend to.
Says who? A policy can be overruled by a future parliament. I can confidently predict no progress towards phase out of ICE vehicles will be made this decade or next. Everyone said we we'd not need to teach imperial units in schools because there'd only be metric by 1990 or so. Look how that went. They're already rowing back on the 2050 carbon neutral target, proving this government has no intention of doing anything about climate change. I'm sure that will appease voters in parts of Lincolnshire who are set to be permanently homeless along with the loss of 50% of our top grade agricultural land if sea levels rise by a mere metre.

The government will not upset the vocal motoring lobbies that rely on petrol sales. All the usual barriers, "untested technology" being the favourite, will be wheeled out. Also where the hell are all these vehicle charging points going to go? Obstruct every footway in the land with wires trailed from parked electric cars?

The correct answer is we need fewer private vehicles in the long run, not least because electric battery technology itself has a high carbon cost but because we should be looking at ways to reduce people's need to travel long distances.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:32The correct answer is we need fewer private vehicles in the long run, not least because electric battery technology itself has a high carbon cost but because we should be looking at ways to reduce people's need to travel long distances.
Not to mention the fact that putting everyone in a big metal box and the large amount of infrastructure required to accommodate this makes for a very unpleasant environment, regardless of method of propulsion.
NREGMINI

Post by NREGMINI »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 16:34
Berk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 16:30
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 16:24 Because I appreciate the value of society over selfish individualism. Try it, you might be happier.
Should everyone move into blocks amid flats in cities then?? Easier to service, easier to heat communally from district heat and power systems and so on??

Too bad about the lack of green and individual space etc. etc.
Most urban living IS in flats or apartments, even in suburbs converted houses are becoming normal. City centre living is increasing because people have learned the 1950s boomer dream of a massive maintenance liability in the form of a suburban house with huge garden isn't worth it; oh, that and no-one under 35 can afford to buy anywhere.

Living in apartments is normal in Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, etc. Last I checked these weren't communist states.

Why is this country full of people who think any effort to use limited resources effectively is an attack on their human rights? If that's the prevailing mindset then quite honestly I can't wait for coronavirus to wipe out most of the UK.
Quite apart from the questionable ethics of wishing for mass extinction, I suggest that you will be very disappointed in the most likely results. The age group that will die in the greatest numbers will be the pensioners, the very demographic that uses public transport the most. The reason that Singapore, Hong Kong etc have apartments is lack of space, something that does not apply to the UK. House prices are so high because a) there has been artificially low interest rates for the past 20 years or so, and b) severe restrictions on new building on green field sites especially in the South East.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Restrictions to prevent this country resembling a miserable sprawling car dependent carbon copy of LA?

That's not a bad thing.

Also I don't see many pensioners on this train I'm on right now. I see many under-40s trying to get by in life without clinging to the boomer started entitlement culture that is responsible for so many problems.

The biggest barrier to change is that generation. They've become everything they rebelled against. That's why they resent the efforts of today's young people to undo the damage they've done.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 17:48 Restrictions to prevent this country resembling a miserable sprawling car dependent carbon copy of LA?

That's not a bad thing.

Also I don't see many pensioners on this train I'm on right now. I see many under-40s trying to get by in life without clinging to the boomer started entitlement culture that is responsible for so many problems.

The biggest barrier to change is that generation. They've become everything they rebelled against. That's why they resent the efforts of today's young people to undo the damage they've done.
Never see many pensioners on my trains either. Odd that, almost as if reality doesn't match the opinions of the people trying desperately to cling on to their "human right" to drive their car wherever they like.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Most pensioners will be on the first bus after 9:30am when their concessionary passes become valid.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Back to more wholesome topics than 'this group of people deserve to die', maybe it's not all doom and gloom on the RIS2 front:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51823021