Interesting Junction Layouts/Phases

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Interesting Junction Layouts/Phases

Post by Johnathan404 »

I like this one on the Enfield Bypass, where two roads cross but traffic cannot leave the main road. It can join, if it wants to. In practice there is no reason to turn.

I also like these junctions where left turns are permissible, but only by utilising what is basically a shopping street: Five Lamps, Cornmarket

Finally, this isn't an unusual layout as such, but it is the narrowest stopline I've ever seen. It controls what is basically an alley that spits out in the middle of a junction. It's so narrow that there is no Street View picture of the entrance. When there is a car stopped at a red light, nobody can enter.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

avtur wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:11 Heres one, the likes of which I haven't seen before.

It is in Hove, travelling south (down the page) on the A2023 to make a right turn to travel west on the A270, there are 3 lanes of traffic approaching the lights but beyond the stop line, there are only two lanes open to use into the junction. The right turn is controlled by a filter and requires cars to move left (into lane 2) in order to enter the junction and make the right turn. I've made this turn a dozen times over the last few months, it seems to work OK.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hov ... 8749?hl=en
Thats my first link in post 1 :)
avtur

Post by avtur »

Skipsy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 15:27
avtur wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:11 Heres one, the likes of which I haven't seen before.

It is in Hove, travelling south (down the page) on the A2023 to make a right turn to travel west on the A270, there are 3 lanes of traffic approaching the lights but beyond the stop line, there are only two lanes open to use into the junction. The right turn is controlled by a filter and requires cars to move left (into lane 2) in order to enter the junction and make the right turn. I've made this turn a dozen times over the last few months, it seems to work OK.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hov ... 8749?hl=en
Thats my first link in post 1 :)
Ah, so it is, I'm looking at the opposite direction on the A2023, I'm relatively new to the area so I didn't spot the similarity.