Bristol bans diesels

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Alderpoint

Bristol bans diesels

Post by Alderpoint »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

How's that work then? The reports says they will ban "privately owned diesel cars". Presumably this means all diesel cars apart from those publically owned, which are, what?
Let it snow.
trickstat

Re: Bristol bans diesels

Post by trickstat »

I think by "private" they basically mean non-commercial rather than non-public as taxis are exempted.

Apparently it will need Government approval before implementation. I must admit this will be annoying for the people having to pick a visiting relative and their luggage up from the station in the small petrol hatch used as a runaround rather than the larger diesel used as a family car.
avtur

Post by avtur »

My interpretation of what I've picked up from the media is that a privately owned Euro 6 diesel will simply be excluded from certain places at certain times where older more polluting diesels operating in taxis, commercials etc will be allowed on payment of a charge which is variable (IIRC something like £9 to £90 per day) a charge that will inevitably be passed on to customers, be that a transport or retail business. My problem with this is that I think there should be national policies so that everyone knows where they stand.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There should be national policies and a joined-up national payment scheme. If this sort of thing proliferates, it's going to be really tricky to keep track of.

I'm still not sure what I'll do about this, as Bristol is one of the many destinations I regularly visit - I suspect that the solution will be to courier materials in advance by van, and then drive separately, parking outside the area and having a taxi take me in, recharging customers in the area for the additional costs incurred.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

It's a revenue generating scheme, pure and simple.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 07:04 There should be national policies and a joined-up national payment scheme. If this sort of thing proliferates, it's going to be really tricky to keep track of.
I think this is what is behind the green number plates for EVs initiative for which we have a separate thread - it’s about having agreed definitions of what constitutes a “green” car that can be used as the basis for the various local and national schemes so people don’t have to worry about whether e.g. a PHEV escapes restrictions in one city and gets clobbered by them in another.

As you say, if each authority defines its scheme differently it will be difficult to plan journeys.

That said, we are going to see more of this sort of thing - it’s inescapable.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

roadtester wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 07:51As you say, if each authority defines its scheme differently it will be difficult to plan journeys.
That's because the actual operators of such schemes, who are the usual suspects for LA/government schemes of any sort, are not sitting idly by. Fresh from their revenue successes from the various TfL and other schemes, they have sales teams with targets to meet, going around the country with all sorts of marketing collateral, identifying which officers/elected representatives to put their pitches to hardest. Having dealt with such, it's apparent they have zero, in fact less, interest in any form of co-ordinated scheme, each is for their own.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

At the end of the day of course they will act surprised when the retail trade in the city centre declines even faster. Lets see do you drive your car to Cribbs Causeway where there is plenty of free parking or into Bristol where not only is parking expensive but now you will be hit with an extra charge for your Euro 6 diesel. Tough choice huh !
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

KeithW wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 08:49 At the end of the day of course they will act surprised when the retail trade in the city centre declines even faster. Lets see do you drive your car to Cribbs Causeway where there is plenty of free parking or into Bristol where not only is parking expensive but now you will be hit with an extra charge for your Euro 6 diesel. Tough choice huh !
It's not an extra charge for a Euro 6 diesel, it's an absolute ban during most of the daytime hours, 7am-3pm.

I'm very unlikely to want to go into Bristol - but what if a medical emergency arose and driving to A&E at Bristol Royal Infirmary was the quickest course of action, rather than wait for an ambulance?
Lifelong motorhead
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Alderpoint wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 00:58 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

How's that work then? The reports says they will ban "privately owned diesel cars". Presumably this means all diesel cars apart from those publicly owned, which are, what?
There so many what-ifs here, and the devil will be in the detail (as always)

Presumably my lease-hire vehicle (which is not "privately owned") will be exempt?
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 09:07 Presumably my lease-hire vehicle (which is not "privately owned") will be exempt?
My thoughts exactly. Is it even possible to determine who actually owns a particular vehicle? They say it will be based on ANPR, but if they are linking this into the DVLA database, that only records the registered keeper and they are very firm that this is no evidence of the legal owner.
Let it snow.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

I'd imagine "privately owned" in this instance means "not a taxi", though it is telling that the council is more worried about the vehicle's ownership than its use...
Built for comfort, not speed.
Micro The Maniac

On a related topic, I was listening to a Green Party spokesmanperson stating that their policy is to make all workplace car-parking chargeable, to encourage use of public transport.

I have previously described my public transport alternative to my 26 mile (sub 40 minute) commute... so am unimpressed by this suggestion!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 On a related topic, I was listening to a Green Party spokesmanperson stating that their policy is to make all workplace car-parking chargeable, to encourage use of public transport.

I have previously described my public transport alternative to my 26 mile (sub 40 minute) commute... so am unimpressed by this suggestion!
When they come up with stuff like this I enjoy recalling how George Monbiot moved to Machynlleth and was intent on relying on cycling and public transport. Soon after he ended up buying a Diesel Renault Clio...
AutomaticBeloved

Post by AutomaticBeloved »

WHBM wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 07:28 It's a revenue generating scheme, pure and simple.
I'm pretty pro environment so would normally be a bit more welcoming, but when you see they've included Cumberland basin, which is the signed route for traffic heading from the M4/M5 to Bristol Airport, I wonder how many holiday makers from Wales/Gloucestershire etc they'll catch as they clip the zone going through the junction.

I also think it would be worth having a national scheme like the German Umwelt stickers or the French Crit'air so it's much clearer which vehicles all of these zones apply to, rather then having to check each scheme's website.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 I'd imagine "privately owned" in this instance means "not a taxi", though it is telling that the council is more worried about the vehicle's ownership than its use...
I had a dig around on bristol.gov.uk and in the proposals can't find any references to ownership. Seems like the ban would apply to all diesel cars, except taxis, private hire vehicles, and emergency vehicles.

See item 8 on https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/ieList ... 3689&Ver=4
Let it snow.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

AutomaticBeloved wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35
WHBM wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 07:28 It's a revenue generating scheme, pure and simple.
I'm pretty pro environment so would normally be a bit more welcoming, but when you see they've included Cumberland basin, which is the signed route for traffic heading from the M4/M5 to Bristol Airport, I wonder how many holiday makers from Wales/Gloucestershire etc they'll catch as they clip the zone going through the junction.
Cardiff airport will be happy with that news!
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

AutomaticBeloved wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35

I also think it would be worth having a national scheme like the German Umwelt stickers or the French Crit'air so it's much clearer which vehicles all of these zones apply to, rather then having to check each scheme's website.
I've seen one report that part of the M32 is included in this no-go zone!
Lifelong motorhead
Micro The Maniac

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 I've seen one report that part of the M32 is included in this no-go zone!
The zone map can be found here
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:24
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 I've seen one report that part of the M32 is included in this no-go zone!
The zone map can be found here
I don't know Bristol that well, but a lot of the boundary seems a bit random, which will make it harder for people to observe.

At least the LCC zone follows easily identifiable/memorable route boundaries.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon