Level Crossings for things other than trains

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OLD GIT

Re: Level Crossings for things other than trains

Post by OLD GIT »

Richard_Fairhurst wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 15:37 Plenty of swing/lift-bridges over canals, such as this one at Wrenbury Mill on the Llangollen Canal:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZVAyt3UMHpPTGwAJ8
Likewise, the Caledonian canal has a variety of barriers( Banavie)and wig wags etc on most of the major road crossings on it's length.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

KeithW wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 There are also crossings on the Cambridge Guided Busway on which other vehicles get themselves stuck from time to time.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.22954 ... authuser=0
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-16556880
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... y-15801976
I had no idea those were a thing
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

In practice that is the same as the junctions all along the Hampshire Busway, though I'm not sure if it is what the topic is looking for.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 16:52 There are quite a few crossings of the Midland Metro, and also of the T&W Metro. Although equipped with wig-wag signals, they do not have barriers, which seems to be standard for tram or light rail systems.
Most of the Midland Metro crossings are on ordinary R/A/G traffic lights. Not sure about the newest bits on Birmingham but the Wolverhampton ones plus the crossing between Wednesbury and West Brom certainly are.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Skipsy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 19:39
KeithW wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 There are also crossings on the Cambridge Guided Busway on which other vehicles get themselves stuck from time to time.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.22954 ... authuser=0
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-16556880
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... y-15801976
I had no idea those were a thing
They're numpty traps!
B4444

Post by B4444 »

It's been a long time since cows crossed here. A31 Ferndown
Herned

Post by Herned »

Tanks here, at least I assume those are warning lights of some sort. I'm sure there is somewhere else with a tank crossing, somewhere on Salisbury Plain probably
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Richard_Fairhurst wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 15:37 Plenty of swing/lift-bridges over canals, such as this one at Wrenbury Mill on the Llangollen Canal:

I'd suggest, perhaps, that swing/;oft/etc bridges over waterways are not, strictly, level crossings.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Herned wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 19:44 Tanks here, at least I assume those are warning lights of some sort. I'm sure there is somewhere else with a tank crossing, somewhere on Salisbury Plain probably
There are a large number.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Al__S wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 22:16

I'd suggest, perhaps, that swing/;oft/etc bridges over waterways are not, strictly, level crossings.
Although the River Severn is doing its level best to eliminate the distinction right now...
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Another one for planes at Doncaster Airport.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Was there not one for slag waggons on Rover Way in Cardiff, or am I mis-remembering?
XC70

Post by XC70 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 Another one for planes at Doncaster Airport.
And on the A18 outside Humberside Airport....
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Seeing as this appears to be a generic thread about wig-wags, then some tunnels use them, like at Hindhead - useful for preventing queuing and for creating a sterile area in which to set up traffic management.

Incidentally, the foliage in that Street View image (May 2018) looks fantastic. It's settling in well.

Kingsway Tunnel is another.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Trainfan

Post by Trainfan »

Again not a level crossing as per railway practice but do Sheffield Forgemasters still cross the road down the middle of the plant with 50 tons of molten steel in a mobile crucible?
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Trainfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 18:58 Again not a level crossing as per railway practice but do Sheffield Forgemasters still cross the road down the middle of the plant with 50 tons of molten steel in a mobile crucible?
Yes. I didn't mention that as they're traffic lights not wig-wags. I doubt very much they're allowed to move molten steel across the highway but I have a handful of times seen the lights activated to move some big ass machinery across Brightside Lane. I've never seen them used just to allow vehicles in and out.
Trainfan

Post by Trainfan »

They certainly did move molten steel across the road! On my mobile and so no idea how to post links but a quick search will bring up photos of them doing just that :D
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 09:53
Fenlander wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 08:22 I almost had to stop at the runway end lights at RAF Conningsby the other day, they were on red as 2 Typhoons came in to land but they got there quicker than I did and unlike the railway ones they quickly went out as soon as the need for them had gone.
The one at Waddington is generally more interesting, you normally get a couple of minutes in a ringside seat as something big comes in to land.
Many a time I sat in my parents car at the lights on the A15 at Waddington and watched Vulcans coming in.
Skipsy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 19:39 I had no idea such things existed.
Put into reasonable English for you :wink:
Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 17:00 Seeing as this appears to be a generic thread about wig-wags, then some tunnels use them, like at Hindhead
As well as a gazillion fire stations and quite a few opening river bridges.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Big L wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 22:26
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 16:52 There are quite a few crossings of the Midland Metro, and also of the T&W Metro. Although equipped with wig-wag signals, they do not have barriers, which seems to be standard for tram or light rail systems.
Most of the Midland Metro crossings are on ordinary R/A/G traffic lights. Not sure about the newest bits on Birmingham but the Wolverhampton ones plus the crossing between Wednesbury and West Brom certainly are.
Of the new Birmingham sections, the ones around Snow Hill/Bull Street are R/A/G, then most of the rest of the route is on roads which were previously pedestrianised (and now tram lines that pedestrians are permitted to cross freely, with the trams moving very slowly as a consequence). Including the sections currently being built, Five Ways will be grade-separated, and the situation at what was formerly Paradise Circus is still unclear based on observations from the ground (although likely to be fairly low speed as the trams will be sharing lanes with at least buses along Broad Street, and probably some cars too).
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Less relevant to a roads forum, but Filton airfield had a level crossing- to allow taxiing planes to cross the (freight only) Henbury Loop railway line.