Smart Dual Carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

CallumParry

Re: Smart Dual Carriageways

Post by CallumParry »

By far the the A19 from the A170 to A1 especially the Teesside Section

A66 between the A19 and Darlington and on the A1 Western Bypass

All sections carry more traffic than some nearby Motorways yet the nearby A1(M) is still lacking modern motorway tech, it gives up past Barton J56 that motorway is still stuck in the 70s
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Johnathan404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 19:55
KeithW wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 16:23 As I said there is nothing new about maintenance of busy D2 roads which do not have a hard shoulder. The A19 Tees Viaduct is currently carrying over 100k AADF yet it has been maintained by HE since 1975. The same applies to the A174 Teesside Parkway which opened at about the same time not to mention the A66 which has an AADF of 65 k. The A1 between Peterborough and Blyth had major refurbishment work done some years ago including replacing the roundabouts with GSJ's. I cant count how many time the Black Cat roundabout has been rebuilt.
None of those are at all comparable. A better example, and perhaps one I ought to have referenced originally, would be the M27 Romsey Road bridge replacement, where a bridge over a congested D4 was replaced with three overnight closures in a 20 month project.
The A19 Tees Viaduct carries as much traffic as the M27 at Romsey, when the A1(M) Leeming to Barton upgrade was happening it was also the weekend and overnight diversion route for A1 closures and it coped well with the extra traffic. As I recall the M27 at that point is D3 with a hard shoulder. You will also find the Tees Viaduct is MUCH longer and higher than the M27 bridge at Romsey.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.56782 ... authuser=0

In fact the A19 strikes me as a great example for a HQDC which really would benefit from having smart VMS and refuges.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

KeithW wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 13:53 The A19 Tees Viaduct carries as much traffic as the M27 at Romsey, when the A1(M) Leeming to Barton upgrade was happening it was also the weekend and overnight diversion route for A1 closures and it coped well with the extra traffic. As I recall the M27 at that point is D3 with a hard shoulder. You will also find the Tees Viaduct is MUCH longer and higher than the M27 bridge at Romsey.

I don't know why everything on here has to be turned into a tit-for-tat petty argument. I was only looking for a specific example of major reconstruction work on a congested road with no hard shoulder, no realignment of the main carriageway and no daytime lane closures to demonstrate that there is a precedent when the structure of the D4 M1 becomes life expired. I found one. You repeat that yours is "MUCH better", although you still haven't stated when it was knocked down and re-built. That's an aside, because I will concede that the A19 is a better road and an excellent example of something being re-built within the parameters implied from the start. Let's all go home, we came here to have fun.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 14:48
KeithW wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 13:53 The A19 Tees Viaduct carries as much traffic as the M27 at Romsey, when the A1(M) Leeming to Barton upgrade was happening it was also the weekend and overnight diversion route for A1 closures and it coped well with the extra traffic. As I recall the M27 at that point is D3 with a hard shoulder. You will also find the Tees Viaduct is MUCH longer and higher than the M27 bridge at Romsey.

I don't know why everything on here has to be turned into a tit-for-tat petty argument. I was only looking for a specific example of major reconstruction work on a congested road with no hard shoulder, no realignment of the main carriageway and no daytime lane closures to demonstrate that there is a precedent when the structure of the D4 M1 becomes life expired. I found one. You repeat that yours is "MUCH better", although you still haven't stated when it was knocked down and re-built. That's an aside, because I will concede that the A19 is a better road and an excellent example of something being re-built within the parameters implied from the start. Let's all go home, we came here to have fun.
The A19 from Thirsk to Middlesbrough over the Tees and on to Wolviston was rebuilt in stages during the 1970's. Some sections were new build and others improved on line. As best as I recall it was along these lines

New Bypass of Thirsk ending at Kilvington
Kilvington to the Cleveland Tontine largely upgraded on line with bypasses for Knayton and Osmotherley (Clack Lane)
Online upgrade from Cleveland Tontine to Crathorne
New build from Crathorne to Norton including the Tees Viaduct - The old A19 through Stockton was renumbered as the A67/A135/A1027.
Offline upgrade from Norton to Tofts with new bypass for Billingham and Woviston
Online upgrade from Tofts to Castle Eden.
New bypasses for Castle Eden and Shotton
Online upgrade from Shotton to Elsington
New build from Elsington to Jarrow

Its mostly in the Wiki
Bypasses apart (at one time the A19 ran along Stockton High Street) the A19 still follows its original route from Doncaster north to Seaham, to the south of Sunderland. The road then ran through the centre of town along what is now the B1522 and then along the A1018 to end in South Shields. The Sunderland bypass and road through the Tyne Tunnel was originally opened as A108. Most of this became the A1 in 1978 when that road was diverted away from the centre of Newcastle; the southern section became the A19 at this time and when the A1 was diverted again - to the west this time - the A19 took over the remainder and so continues to Seaton Burn.
North of Teesside there are major ongoing roadworks at the Testos junction.
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/programme ... rovements/
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/ ... provement/

The issue is not that the A19 is 'better' but that it is an example of a strategic road without a hard shoulder that has had many upgrades both major and minor over a period of more than 40 years and which in economic terms is just as important as the A1(M) which is virtually unchanged since it opened 50 years ago. If you want another in this region consider the A1 Western Bypass of Newcastle. Users of both the A19 and A1 Western bypass would benefit from an upgrade to a Smart Dual Carriageway which is much more affordable and has fewer legal hassles than upgrading them to a motorway with or without hard shoulders.

Note major upgrades and maintenance of Motorways with hard shoulders very often include lane closures both daytime and night time , current examples from Highways England :

M5 northbound
Location : The M5 northbound between junctions J3 and J1 . Lane Closures : Lane two is closed. Period : expect disruption until 06:00 on 20 December 2019.

M20 westbound between J9 and J8
Location : The M20 westbound between junctions J9 and J8 . Lane Closures : Lanes 2 and 3 are closed. Period : from 06:30 on 28 October 2019 to 23:59 on 30 April 2020.

M27 westbound between J5 and J4
Location : The M27 westbound between junctions J7 and J4 . Lane Closures : Lanes 2 and 3 are closed. Period : expect disruption until 06:00 on 15 November 2019.

I also have very vivid memories of the long term restrictions (over 2 years) over the Thelwall Viaduct on the M6 between 2002 and 2005. At one time it was down to 1 lane northbound. Given that I was making frequent trips from Cambridge to Warrington at the time spending an hour here at the end of my trip was no fun at all. I could see my destination - so near but yet so far.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.38899 ... authuser=0