Not giving new roads numbers

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Not giving new roads numbers

Post by ajuk »

Is there a trend these days to not give new roads numbers? In South Gloucestershire Hayes Way which to me should be part of the B4057, also the road through Bradley Stoke and The new Stoke Gifford Bypass could do with a number you could even continue that number to Fishponds if they wanted to. Also, there's Rover Way in Cardiff that for some reason isn't part of the A4232.
Tater
Location: Darlington, County Durham or (sometimes) Tattershall, Lincolnshire

Re: Not giving new roads numbers

Post by Tater »

ajuk wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 02:18 Is there a trend these days to not give new roads numbers? In South Gloucestershire Hayes Way which to me should be part of the B4057, also the road through Bradley Stoke and The new Stoke Gifford Bypass could do with a number you could even continue that number to Fishponds if they wanted to. Also, there's Rover Way in Cardiff that for some reason isn't part of the A4232.
The new Lincoln Eastern Bypass will have the number A15 and the old road will become the A607 and A1434
MOTORWAYS TRAVELLED: M1, M3, M4, M5, M6, M18, M25, M27, M40, M42, M50, M60, M62, M180, A1(M), A3(M), A66(M), A167(M), A194(M)
A F99 TRAVELLED: A1, A3, A15, A16, A17, A18, A19, A27, A30, A39, A40, A41, A46, A47, A52, A57, A61, A62, A63, A64, A66, A67, A68, A69, A90
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

ajuk wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 02:18 Is there a trend these days to not give new roads numbers? In South Gloucestershire Hayes Way which to me should be part of the B4057, also the road through Bradley Stoke and The new Stoke Gifford Bypass could do with a number you could even continue that number to Fishponds if they wanted to. Also, there's Rover Way in Cardiff that for some reason isn't part of the A4232.
I assume it is the purpose of the road and who is paying.

I know we have an expectation of quality with 'A' & 'B' roads, maybe not always met. However that is not the purpose. 'A' roads are the primary route between towns, 'B' roads are the secondary route between towns or maybe the primary route between large villages.

A high quality road linking a retail &/or industrial park with the nearest classified road does not meet those criteria.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Berk

Post by Berk »

But in what way is that different to an unclassified road that links one or more villages?? We’ve come to believe unclassified roads are the most rural, and lowest quality roads, but that simply isn’t true.

In cities, whole swathes of roads may be unclassified. Some are ex A- or B-roads, usually when a bypass has been opened to discourage through running, but the roads themselves are kept open to avoid severance.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 09:49 But in what way is that different to an unclassified road that links one or more villages?? We’ve come to believe unclassified roads are the most rural, and lowest quality roads, but that simply isn’t true.

In cities, whole swathes of roads may be unclassified. Some are ex A- or B-roads, usually when a bypass has been opened to discourage through running, but the roads themselves are kept open to avoid severance.
According to the DfT in the UK there are
2,300 miles of motorway
5,300 miles of centrally managed ‘A’ road
23,900 miles of local authority managed ‘A’ road
18,800 miles of ‘B’ road
196,400 miles of ‘C’ and ‘U’ road

The vast majority of UK roads are Unclassified and that includes roads in rural and urban areas, In my own locale the original A174 was bypassed by the D2 A174 Teeside Parkway. The old route is now the B1380

The road between Darlington and Middlesbrough used to be the A67. That has now been bypassed and the new bypass is now the A66, the old road is now the B6541.

What is now to all intents and purposes the new town of Ingleby Barwick has grown between Stockton and High Leven. It has a population of around 25,000 and has good road links to the A174 and Stockton. The latter is a good quality D2 road and a major link but is unclassified.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.53143 ... authuser=0
Berk

Post by Berk »

In most of the counties round here, the only way to get from A to B is via unclassified roads.

My journey to work is mainly via classified roads, but I choose to take an unclassified road for 3 of the first 4 miles because it’s quicker.

It only becomes a problem when you’re trying to refer specifically to that road, to report a fault or something. It’s easier to say Cxxx/Uxxx rather than “2 miles down Langley Bush Road, between Helpston and Sutton”...

Don’t think sat-navs like unclassifieds either, which is probably why they don’t recommend them, unless it’s the beginning or end point of the journey.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Some points (some of which are covered above)

1. Just because a road opens without a number doesn't mean it won't get one later, e.g. ELOR
2. Just because a road isn't signed with a number doesn't mean it doesn't actually have one... It could very possibly be a Class III road, or even a lower class with administrative numbering. It might even have an A or a B number that isn't indicated.
3. Typically, higher classifications of road are inspected more often, and may be gritted with a higher priority, simply by virtue of classification. They therefore cost more to operate, in general.
4. The road might not be under the control of the local authority (yet, or it might never be), this is particularly the case if a road has been built as part of a business park scheme and remains owned by the business park, who might be responsible for its maintenance, paid for from the lease fees for the sheds on the park.
5. The classification doesn't necessarily hold against the quality of the route - there are many Class III roads which are of lower quality than Classified unnumbered routes which are built, for example, to access business parks that may be handed over to the local authority's control.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Berk wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 In most of the counties round here, the only way to get from A to B is via unclassified roads.

My journey to work is mainly via classified roads, but I choose to take an unclassified road for 3 of the first 4 miles because it’s quicker.

It only becomes a problem when you’re trying to refer specifically to that road, to report a fault or something. It’s easier to say Cxxx/Uxxx rather than “2 miles down Langley Bush Road, between Helpston and Sutton”...

Don’t think sat-navs like unclassifieds either, which is probably why they don’t recommend them, unless it’s the beginning or end point of the journey.
That depends on the SatNav. My old TomTom unit was odd in that it would ignore some very decent unclassified roads like this one that reduced a 10 mile journey to 5 miles and even keep telling me to turn round if I took it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.18509 ... authuser=0

But then direct me up an unclassified road that was more like a goat track like this even when there was a perfectly good alternate route along the A379 which was about a 0.1 miles longer but much faster.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.32241 ... authuser=0
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Rover Way predates the A4232 and I assume it isn't numbered as until the EBLR was built a couple of years ago, traffic had to take Ocean Way and skirt around the City Centre to get back onto the A4232. An outer ring road becoming an inner ring road temporarily: not at all ideal in Cardiff. There have been many movements towards 'completing' the ring road by dualling Rover Way but it's complicated and until it's dualled, we won't get a complete ring
(not that we will anyway as the ring road incorporates 2 junctions on the A48)

Also in Glamorgan is the A4055. As you follow it from Cardiff to Barry, you reach a roundabout where the A4055 cannons off an unclassified and becomes urban, weaving through the centre of Barry. The unclassified is the bypass built in 2000, Millennium Way, which continues on straight to the Waterfront, with a higher speed limit and only one minor access. This road should have been classified A4055 all the way to Barry Island when it was finally completed to Plymouth Road during housing development in 2016 but the Council has declined to do so. Any satnavs avoiding unclassified will take you on a fantastic Gavin and Stacey tour, with bonus chaos if it's school time.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Surely the key factor here is that most new roads - in urban areas anyway, as clearly the strategic road network doesn't apply to the question - is that most new roads are paid for and laid out by developers, who are only interested in getting the job done.

Creating a useful road numbering system is of no relevance to a developer. Renumbering takes time to plan and money to introduce, and developers are not going to offer that service unless they are forced to.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 14:54 Surely the key factor here is that most new roads - in urban areas anyway, as clearly the strategic road network doesn't apply to the question - is that most new roads are paid for and laid out by developers, who are only interested in getting the job done.

Creating a useful road numbering system is of no relevance to a developer. Renumbering takes time to plan and money to introduce, and developers are not going to offer that service unless they are forced to.
I dont believe developers have any powers to do so anyway.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Some examples of unclassified roads are more egregious than others: Yeadon Way in Blackpool is probably the best example of a road that looks like it should be classified but isn't. I assume that's to discourage HGVs from using it, as it has a 7.5t limit, but it still seems pretty odd to have one of the main routes into the town – and the one that you take if you keep going straight ahead from the motorway – as unclassified.
and1969

Post by and1969 »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 21:35 Some examples of unclassified roads are more egregious than others: Yeadon Way in Blackpool is probably the best example of a road that looks like it should be classified but isn't. I assume that's to discourage HGVs from using it, as it has a 7.5t limit, but it still seems pretty odd to have one of the main routes into the town – and the one that you take if you keep going straight ahead from the motorway – as unclassified.
Living locally the thought also occurred to me how strange it seemed that Yeadon Way was never given a national classification. It is numbered as C259 in Lancashire County Council's numbering system, which seems to be shared with the unitary authorities in Blackpool, and Blackburn and Darwen.

BTW Yeadon Way is currently closed for repairs (Blackpool Council notice). The diversion route will definitely be suitable for HGVs and buses, but car and van drivers who know Blackpool will probably take shorter routes dependent on their ultimate destination.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yeadon Way as a classified road as far as Waterloo Road would have worked.

I'm of an age to remember going under all the former railway infrastructure. A lot of it has since been removed.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
KevS

Post by KevS »

I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that the Ipswich Southern Bypass, along with the Orwell Bridge originally was signed as (A12, A45) before the eastern and western flanks were built. The A12 and A45 themselves were still signed through the town.
It's a ticket to plastic death
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

KevS wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 08:13 I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that the Ipswich Southern Bypass, along with the Orwell Bridge originally was signed as (A12, A45) before the eastern and western flanks were built. The A12 and A45 themselves were still signed through the town.
Indeed it was the A45 until the A1/M1 link was built in the 1990's,