New to the Forum | My first 12 Months Driving

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

londonrascal

New to the Forum | My first 12 Months Driving

Post by londonrascal »

Hello all - first post having joined a couple of days ago.

I've found this Forum fascinating reading previous to becoming a member myself, and have spent many hours reading threads - the most interesting being the pre-Worboys signage (think I may have one to contribute too).

The 15th November will mark 12 months since I passed my test. Since that great day I've come to own two cars and have become a little bit obsessed with driving. At the time of posting, I have driven 17,023 miles which may not seem excessive to many, and I am not sure how many one may usually cover in their first year of driving, but all of mine have been accrued in what I term as 'wonder miles' - I wonder what is there and head on the road to find out.

My first ever drive after passing my test was from Wisbech to Norwich - which included my first bit of night time driving on the A47. Following that, was up to the North York Moors and then the biggy being Norwich to Bridlngton, then the following morning I decided to drive to Edinburgh while looking at Google Maps in Tesco car park because I wanted to take teh A1 all the way to Scotland. The next day I headed to Aberdeen. Finally waking up the following day feeling I had seen enough Scotland for the time being so drove from Aberdeen to Norwich. The following weekend saw me head off to Weymouth, then Portland. The following day to Taunton for an overnight. Next day was Chepstow and Newport. Finally the next day to Putney in London for a quick stop with friends before an evening drive back to Norwich.

However what I have found people find most strange is the fact I use Sat Nav (Waze) for every single journey - even to my local Tesco. I don't have it on route mode - but just the map. My cars both have their own Sat Nav built in and that I have on too since it looks nicer on the screen than say, the radio station. I have to say Waze has it's moments and odd route choices - you follow them for the first couple of times and find its tried to save you a minute off the ETA, but cost you three in so doing. You then ignore it only to find that time you should have listened as you find yourself stuck in a horrendous jam on the A406.

I do like it though, maybe because you feel part of something when people report things - sometimes not helpful at all, other times very helpful - such as a dead Deer recently in the middle of the road I'd been alerted to by a fellow Wazer reporting road kill. Of course I think mostly people report cars on shoulders and the Police speed traps, something I wonder if they have Waze on their phone waiting to be 'reported' and then heading off to a new location perhaps?

Anyway, in my travels I have become interested in the roads I am on, the signage, the junctions, even the surfaces and their changing style, sound and texture. I love it too when you could go on a Bypass, but the old route still is there, so you choose that instead. How some times you can still see evidence of old major trunk roads many years after they have been downgraded - a string of road studs randomly where others have long been removed, overgrown former laybys and the like.

I have documented some of my travels, in videos which some may find interesting - this was my first from London to Norwich https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opdbgF892vo

Some others being:

Levisham to Whitby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2hVEpB-uA

Edinburgh to Abderdeen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEoNfUVzKMY
the cheesecake man

Re: New to the Forum | My first 12 Months Driving

Post by the cheesecake man »

londonrascal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 04:32 Hello all - first post having joined a couple of days ago.

However what I have found people find most strange is the fact I use Sat Nav (Waze) for every single journey
You are not alone. Most colleagues under 30 are the same. They're often amazed I can find my way from A to B without one, even when I went there yesterday.
I do like it though, maybe because you feel part of something when people report things
Like joining SABRE really.
I've found this Forum fascinating reading previous to becoming a member myself, and have spent many hours reading threads - the most interesting being the pre-Worboys signage (think I may have one to contribute too).

Anyway, in my travels I have become interested in the roads I am on, the signage, the junctions, even the surfaces and their changing style, sound and texture. I love it too when you could go on a Bypass, but the old route still is there, so you choose that instead. How some times you can still see evidence of old major trunk roads many years after they have been downgraded - a string of road studs randomly where others have long been removed, overgrown former laybys and the like.
Then you are in the right place. Welcome to SABRE! :beer: