Trickett's Cross to Ferndown - A347 or A348?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

Trickett's Cross to Ferndown - A347 or A348?

Post by TS »

Just looking at the Wiki pages for the A347 and A348
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=A347
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=A348

The map panes seem to disagree with the text. According to the maps, the A347 starts at the A31 and proceeds to Ferndown town centre, where it turns left for Bournemouth and the A348 starts, southwest to Poole.

But the text on both pages suggests that it is the A348 which starts on the A31 and heads to Poole while the A347 starts at Ferndown town centre and proceeds to Bournemouth.

I'm pretty sure that the A31-to-Ferndown stretch is the A347 - this is backed up by signage on the ground, including some signs that are so old they route confirmation signs with fractions (Ringwood 5½) (Salisbury 22½) (Southampton 25½) (Winchester 34½)

OSM and Google Maps agree with this, as does the OS except it's "standard" website mapping marks it as the A348, which I assume is a typo.

Numerically, it seems more logical that the A347 would come off the A31 and the A348 come off the A347, but the fact that this is a primary stretch of road perhaps puts it logically as the A348, which would maybe be where a typo occurred?

I would correct the Wiki pages myself but I felt insufficiently certain of my facts! Do any others agree that it needs amending?

From the SABRE Wiki: A347 :

The A347 used to be the main route into Bournemouth from the north and east, but has long been superseded by the A338 route (which previously went to Christchurch not Bournemouth). Today the A347 is purely a busy local road, that follows a rather zig-zag course through the north of Bournemouth.

The A347 starts at a traffic-light junction with the A348 in the centre of Ferndown and

... Read More