Nuffield Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Nuffield Maps

Post by Big Nick »

While browsing the Antiques Centre in Church Stretton I picked up an unusual map of the South-East Counties (well I've not seen it before :wink: ), published by Nuffield. It even has a British Motors Corporation rosette on the cover!
This was printed in around 1970 - the cover price is 5/- while the W.H.Smith & Son sticker says 5p. Some oddities on there - railway lines and stations that were long closed by the time of printing.

SOUTH-EAST COUNTIES
Showing new and projected
By-pass roads and Motorways
by 'Geographia' Ltd.

The 1(M) or A1(M) goes from Welwyn to Baldock. Early confusion on road numbering for maps there!
M40 is only the High Wycombe bypass.
M23 is outline only Mitcham to Pease Pottage.
M11 is outline only from A406 up to Great Chesterford.
M6 is just an outline plan.
M4 goes as far as Maidenhead (todays A404(M)) with an outline heading west as we know it today.
M3 is outline only from Popham to east of Staines,
M2 runs from Strood to east of Faversham, the A20(M) is the Maidstone bypass with an outline to Wrotham.
M1 goes all the way north from Finchley, the M10 and M45 are as we know them, odd little stub at Nottingham (todays A610).

Ringway 4 / Early M25 route outline - Leatherhead to Godstone.

Projected Bypass.... Ringways 3 and 4 are marked from the east of the A1M round to Thurrock Crossing and on to Croydon via Swanley.
B1040

Re: Nuffield Maps

Post by B1040 »

Sounds about right for 1970. (I'm assuming that the bits of M6 that were built in 1970 were not in the region covered by a map of the "South East"
Big Nick

Re: Nuffield Maps

Post by Big Nick »

B1040 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 22:36 Sounds about right for 1970. (I'm assuming that the bits of M6 that were built in 1970 were not in the region covered by a map of the "South East"
I'd assume so too. I'd like to get the whole set of 6 maps.

1. South-East Counties
2. South-West Counties
3. Midlands and Wales
4. Northern Counties
5. Central & Southern Scotland (appears to cover a small corner of Norn Iron)
6. Highlands of Scotland

On closer look it includes some oddities like The Three Pidgeons pub on the A40, Halfway Houses on the A46, the New Inn at the A606 / A46 junction and Silverstone Racing Circuit has a mini-map.