RoI: M17/M18/M6 junction - roundabout isn't under motorway regulations

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

stu531

RoI: M17/M18/M6 junction - roundabout isn't under motorway regulations

Post by stu531 »

Happened to be glancing at this on Google Street View (as you do), when I noticed that the roundabout, which links these motorways together, isn't under motorway restrictions. Any equivalent roundabouts in the UK (eg Lofthouse, Simister) are under motorway regulations. In many ways, it makes sense them not to be - because you're expected to stop.

There isn't another motorway roundabout with only motorways meeting, as far as I can tell, elsewhere in RoI.

Wonder why they made this change? It's a sensible one IMHO and one the UK should do...
nowster
Treasurer

Re: RoI: M17/M18/M6 junction - roundabout isn't under motorway regulations

Post by nowster »

stu531 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 14:19 There isn't another motorway roundabout with only motorways meeting, as far as I can tell, elsewhere in RoI.
There was but it was a stealth one. M1/M50/M32.
jackal

Post by jackal »

stu531 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 14:19 Happened to be glancing at this on Google Street View (as you do), when I noticed that the roundabout, which links these motorways together, isn't under motorway restrictions. Any equivalent roundabouts in the UK (eg Lofthouse, Simister) are under motorway regulations. In many ways, it makes sense them not to be - because you're expected to stop.

There isn't another motorway roundabout with only motorways meeting, as far as I can tell, elsewhere in RoI.

Wonder why they made this change? It's a sensible one IMHO and one the UK should do...
You are not expected to stop.

And in any case I don't see what this has to do with non-motorway regulations - except, perhaps, that the pointless extra signs will distract drivers from the need to give way at the roundabout.

As for why the signs are there, it could be a hangover from when services were planned for this site, though it would be more logical to end motorway regs at the exit from the roundabout, as at Doncaster North:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59105 ... 384!8i8192
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It makes no sense as a concept - especially as you are allowed to stop under motorway regulations should signs (e.g. give way or traffic signals) dictate.

This is probably more due to ROI being relatively inexperienced where motorways are concerned. In any case, the slip lanes bypassing the roundabout remain under motorway regulations.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
B1040

Post by B1040 »

At the English M5 M50 junction, I take the view that I am expected to give way and that this may require stopping . Once I'm on the roundabout, I am not expected to stop except in case of the road being obstructed. I cannot pull onto the verge and ride my bike round the roundabout.
This particular junction does have the anomaly of the exceptional load layby though.
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Could be related to old plans to put a service station on this roundabout?
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

It may even be a quirk of legislation.