Crossroads where you can only go ahead.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Crossroads where you can only go ahead.

Post by jervi »

Recently I've seen two junctions where there is a crossroad junction, however you are unable to turn when you approach them.
Wondering how common these are throughout the country.
The two I've found are where a new public highway for a new residential area crosses an older private road.
*One near Bedford, crosses the access road to a DVLA facility.
*One near Horsham, Stop signs for the public highway (with no stop lines), and "ahead only" signs for the private road.
*Same road in Horsham, however at a traffic light controlled crossroads, I commonly see drivers take an illegal right turn here, so as a result I've asked for the TROs from the council and I will now occasionally sit at the junction with my phone and video offenders and submit them to the appropriate policing department. Even on the street view you can see someone doing the illegal manoeuvre.

1. car waiting to come out of private road, note the polo (long way) behind the google car after lights turn to amber, no car behind polo.
2. car enters junction (by order must go ahead)
3. car confirmed to of turned right, now behind the polo, lights are still red for A264 through traffic. naughty and illegal. (of course a car could of come from the south and turned left (which is legal), and just so happens to look exactly the same, but I would doubt that happened)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Crossroads where you can only go ahead.

Post by c2R »

These are all really strange/ awful designs....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

That barret one is just bizzar, no idea what they were thinking there.

The third one would be a bit of a conundrum if you are driving a HGV...
betweenmways

Post by betweenmways »

There's one in North Bristol - the new link road from the northern ringroad by the M32 to Bradley Stoke, crossing Hambrook lane. Intersecting roads are both ahead only, and traffic light controlled.
Value engineering gone mad! (funded by the housing developers, hence cutting corners, plus they had a couple of steams to bridge also).
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

The legendary Runcorn bus roads: https://goo.gl/maps/hjBWwUEs4dSn5rN86
IAN

Post by IAN »

Not sure whether this one counts but I've always found the sign quite interesting.

Ian (M5 Driver)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.36658 ... 312!8i6656
AKA M5 Driver
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Herned

Post by Herned »

jervi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 22:44 Recently I've seen two junctions where there is a crossroad junction, however you are unable to turn when you approach them.
*One near Horsham, Stop signs for the public highway (with no stop lines), and "ahead only" signs for the private road.
*Same road in Horsham, however at a traffic light controlled crossroads, I commonly see drivers take an illegal right turn here, so as a result I've asked for the TROs from the council and I will now occasionally sit at the junction with my phone and video offenders and submit them to the appropriate policing department. Even on the street view you can see someone doing the illegal manoeuvre.
That's really weird, such lanes are usually turned into cycle paths or similar through new developments - did the owner refuse to sell the land or something?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

IAN wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 Not sure whether this one counts but I've always found the sign quite interesting.

Ian (M5 Driver)

Ah yes, the Bewdley by-pass. It seems to be a bridleway crossing. I'm sure NLT/NRT would be better than No Entry, as No Entry would surely apply to horses as much as traffic?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

There's quite a few for the misguided bus routes in Cambs if that counts?

This one's claimed a few victims. Either by way of the bus gate, or the revenue camera on the big wide road that looks like it goes to the car park

https://goo.gl/maps/P7QEuJUykfys4gFb6
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
astondb9

Post by astondb9 »

jervi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 22:44 One near Horsham, Stop signs for the public highway (with no stop lines), and "ahead only" signs for the private road.
What is the point of that road? If you follow the signs it only allows those few houses south of the new bypass to shortcut through to the Tesco roundabout. Wouldn't it be better to give them full access at the signals and convert it to a cycle route?
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Two in the middle of Leamington Spa.

Parade/Regent Street

Parade/Warwick Street.
Let it snow.
jervi

Post by jervi »

astondb9 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 14:36 What is the point of that road? If you follow the signs it only allows those few houses south of the new bypass to shortcut through to the Tesco roundabout. Wouldn't it be better to give them full access at the signals and convert it to a cycle route?
astondb9 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 14:36 What is the point of that road? If you follow the signs it only allows those few houses south of the new bypass to shortcut through to the Tesco roundabout. Wouldn't it be better to give them full access at the signals and convert it to a cycle route?
I'm guessing that something like that the original driveway/access road is under some joint ownership and cannot be sold to the developer due to that status, however some loophole exists where by roads can be built across the orginal access road, and so it exists in its current form. Yes its a shortcut, and people do use it as the original Broadbridge Heath bypass now has a bus gate in it, so people use the old bypass upuntill the tesco roundabout, then use this private road down to the new bypass and take a right turn. Which actually slows down everyone else, as the loop in the road surface triggers the main bypass to get a red light just for the sake of someone taking a shortcut down a private road and then an illegal turn. That's why a right turn there is illegal, while a left turn from the other way is okay, since it only serves the original properties. However the right turn out of the original properties (from the south) is forbidden due to the pedestrian crossing located on the east side of the lights.
I wouldn't be surprised if this access road is turned into a cycle road or pedestrian path some time in the future if/when it can be bought from the owners. However, if I was an owner, I'd look to see if I could set up a cheeky little toll road for people wanting to use the shortcut.

It's interesting to see the other examples people have given, most seem to be either an alike level crossing for busses (and/or cyclists), or in a situation where roads serve local areas and encourage cycling/walking by making journeys by car harder, and give more/longer crossing time for pedestrians since pedestrians and vehicles can have a green light at the same time.
fras

Post by fras »

And another, (barmy) one here in Rugby at Houlton Way, a new link road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.37024 ... 2688?hl=en

Its not fully on GSV yet. I took this new road having come across from the Leicester road off the M6 to get to Hillmorton via Hillmorton Lane, only find find a left turn was barred (as well as RH turns) ! A little further on it was possible to do a U-turn so I came back to find LH turns were allowed, but still not RH. So I must now go via Clifton-on-Dunsmore as I used to do before the link road came in. I suppose there is some logic in it if it is to stop HGV traffic using Hillmorton Lane
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

One here by Nottingham station
https://goo.gl/maps/amkoSZKCrjN7HKmV9
and another two on the A60 here
https://goo.gl/maps/WsPhNHMBcbYgoLRLA
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
someone

Post by someone »

jervi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 15:19I'm guessing that something like that the original driveway/access road is under some joint ownership and cannot be sold to the developer due to that status…
Horsham Borough Council wrote:It was understood at the outline planning application stage that Wickhurst Lane has to remain open to vehicles along its complete length, including at the point where it crosses the east-west link road, as property owners to the south of the link road have existing legal rights of access. This is not an ideal situation as it means that provision has to be made within the east-west link road design for vehicles to cross the new road safely. There is also a definitive public footpath along Wickhurst Lane which appears quite well used and also needs to be safely accommodated.

The proposal put forward at the outline stage was to introduce a signalised pedestrian crossing to safely accommodate pedestrians crossing the new link road. Vehicular access rights along Wickhurst Lane would be maintained by incorporating the vehicular crossing of this road with with the pedestrian crossing and then co-ordinating the signals with those at the proposed main traffic signal junction serving the development further to the west.

In terms of the design shown on the application drawings, I do have some concerns. Whilst the pedestrian crossing element is slightly offset to the east of Wickhurst Lane and appears acceptable, I do question the proposed junction arrangement serving properties on the south side of Wickhurst Lane. As I understand it, the only property owners with legal rights across the east-west link are those living south of this road. Therefore, a junction arrangement which only allows a straight across movement on the north side of the link road should be fine. However, in my view, it is unlikely that property owners living on the south side of the new link road will want to negotiate Wickhurst Lane on a regular basis and will no doubt prefer to have more convenient direct access onto the east-west link.

The other change from the outline application is the design of the Old Wickhurst Lane junction with the east west link road. The original design for this junction was for a straight across junction and the junction radii had been designed with tight radii to restrict the unauthorised movements. The design of this junction has been amended to accommodate left in/left out movements to the southern section of Old Wickhurst Lane with the use of a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) and signage to prohibit right hand right turns in/out. The junction to the north side has been designed to prohibit left/right turns off the east west link road reinforced by a TRO. The modification of the design is acceptable and would have the benefit of serving properties to at the southern end of Old Wickhurst Lane whilst preventing movement to the north.
Personally I would have said that if they want convenient access to the A264 then they will have to give up their right to what is now a private road to Tesco but a nuisance to everyone else. Otherwise they should have to go the long way around to get in and out of their properties.
vlad

Post by vlad »

This one on the edge of Bracknell is cheating slightly as there's a filter which does allow one turn - but you can only go ahead at the actual lights.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

2020-01-16 Horsham.png
I don't think this junction counts as a "crossroads where you can only go ahead", because if you approach the junction from the road opposite, you can turn left onto A264 (as well as go straight on).

In fact, approaching on A264 (from the left), there is a traffic light with green arrows for both straight on and left: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.06222 ... 312!8i6656
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:46
IAN wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 Not sure whether this one counts but I've always found the sign quite interesting.

Ian (M5 Driver)

Ah yes, the Bewdley by-pass. It seems to be a bridleway crossing. I'm sure NLT/NRT would be better than No Entry, as No Entry would surely apply to horses as much as traffic?
I'm curious about this too, I thought No Entry signs applied to horses - can anyone confirm what the law says about this?