Signalized roundabouts

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IanRB

Signalized roundabouts

Post by IanRB »

In particular those with failed full time signals. Do they revert to normal roundabouts?

The specific roundabout I'm interested in is the Myrekirk Roundabout on the A90 in Dundee. This morning the lights were out and it was chaos. I thought it should be working as a normal roundabout, but the traffic on the A90 disagreed.

There are no give way markings on the entry roads and there are no signs indicating that it is a roundabout. There are go left arrows and chevron boards.

Who had right of way, and if it's not a roundabout then what is it?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Signalized roundabouts

Post by Bryn666 »

It should function as a typical uncontrolled junction - you give way to the right.

But posters on SABRE are adamant that signal failures make roundabouts flow better so your experience must be void ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 17:09 It should function as a typical uncontrolled junction - you give way to the right.

But posters on SABRE are adamant that signal failures make roundabouts flow better so your experience must be void ;-)
It depends on who you think they are better for. At this roundabout before it was signalised traffic entering from the A171 had very long delays at peak times as traffic on the main line (the A66) was streaming through at 50 mph.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.57475 ... authuser=0

Traffic on the A66 is now delayed so they are currently rebuilding the junction as a throughabout but I doubt it will help much. That junction should have been a GSJ from the start, there was plenty of space for one.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

KeithW wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 17:27 Traffic on the A66 is now delayed so they are currently rebuilding the junction as a throughabout but I doubt it will help much. That junction should have been a GSJ from the start, there was plenty of space for one.
The roundabout immediately to the west was rebuilt as a GSJ so there's hope yet.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

IanRB wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 16:57 In particular those with failed full time signals. Do they revert to normal roundabouts?

The specific roundabout I'm interested in is the Myrekirk Roundabout on the A90 in Dundee. This morning the lights were out and it was chaos. I thought it should be working as a normal roundabout, but the traffic on the A90 disagreed.

There are no give way markings on the entry roads and there are no signs indicating that it is a roundabout. There are go left arrows and chevron boards.

Who had right of way, and if it's not a roundabout then what is it?
The Advance Direction Signs show Myrekirk as a roundabout, the ‘roundabout ahead’ signs were changed for ‘traffic signals ahead’ when it was signalised.

When the signals are off, it is supposed to revert to function as a roundabout with folk giving way to traffic from the right, but some drivers are a bit challenged in this respect.

The ULV power supply for the signal heads gave up, site was back up and running around 3pm :wink: