M6 J10 Improvements

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Peter Freeman

Re: M6 J10 Improvements

Post by Peter Freeman »

Steven wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:15
Peter Freeman wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 09:16 I expect that A454 traffic approaching J10 from either direction is likely to be turning onto the M6.
Why do you expect that? The travel-to-work data in the area (as well as local experience) suggests otherwise.
By 'likely' I meant 'more likely than not', ie. >50%. I expect it, because it's usually the case, where a more minor road crosses a more major road. If it's not the case here (and I'd still be surprised), it doesn't affect my recommendation. I'd be interested to see the numbers.
The B-Road should be stopped up (or perhaps LI-LO'd with the northbound on-ramp!). It has adequate connections further back, to the west.
It is a bus only route westbound for all traffic leaving the roundabout, though access to the hotel to the NW of the junction is also available. I can see continued value in bus and NMU traffic for the area to the west.
Ah, I hadn't noticed the bus-only lane, but I had noticed the hotel access. That could all be covered by my LILO suggestion (and either keeping or relinquishing the bus-only). The LILO exit from the M6 north on-ramp would, for safety, require a signal. It could be bus-triggered if still bus-only. Patrons leaving the hotel could go left-out to take M6 northbound, otherwise backtrack via the B-road.
There is no adequade eastbound connection further west for bus and NMU traffic; although through traffic for other traffic classes could be diverted via Bentley Road North.
Now, I had noticed the GSJ asymmetry at Bentley Mill Way. I suggest a few allotments be taken to complete that quarter-diamond to a half-diamond, so that, between them, Bentley Mill Way and Bentley Road North could reinstate the bus connectivity.

NMU connectivity is easily aranged through and around the DDI: one of its strengths viz-a-viz the roundabout.

As I said in my post above, it's too late now. Another opportunity lost. When you have the luxury of having already decided to demolish structures (as we assume is the case here), the world's your oyster. Any of standard, diverging or single-point diamonds would have been better, and no more expensive, than this outcome.
Last edited by Peter Freeman on Tue May 10, 2022 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I'm surprised one of the old bridges won't be kept as a bus-only hamburger. Like the M4 junction by Reading has if I recall correctly.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Big L wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 14:24 I'm surprised one of the old bridges won't be kept as a bus-only hamburger...
Not sure hamburger is the right analogy there. Perhaps more like the proscuitto in a Beef Wellington :)
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Nice Time Lapse video of the demolition of the former southern bridge last weekend here posted by National Highways
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

This feels like it is dragging on significantly now. It went from all hands to the pump during Covid, yet the resurfacing seems to be taking months. Spring 2022 was optimistic maybe!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

This states completion is back to Autumn due to delays with covid, a supplier going bankrupt, and a number of other reasons.
Make poetry history.

brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Big L wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 22:35 This states completion is back to Autumn due to delays with covid, a supplier going bankrupt, and a number of other reasons.
Thanks, I'd missed that. Originally they said Covid had helped progress as they could close lanes easier, I guess the supply much later on has been the trouble.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

A bit strange how work has slowed down after the bridges were installed though? They said the bridge manufactures went into administration but weren't they installed on time? Something doesn't sound right here.
ReissOmari..
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

ReissOmari wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 20:21 A bit strange how work has slowed down after the bridges were installed though? They said the bridge manufactures went into administration but weren't they installed on time? Something doesn't sound right here.
They seem to be backfilling by the bridge edges which is taking ages I noticed today as well as extremely slow progress adding noise reduction fencing on the SB off slip and the gantries which are half done. There is no evidence of much other installation having gone over it today myself.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Now delayed until early next year due to a lack of fibre installation for the AMIs. Third delay now I think? When the actual main works seemed to progress at such a pace, the end of this scheme has been horrendous.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... provement/
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The main structural work seems to be done now. The only thing I can think of which needs doing is replacing the temporary traffic lights with permanent ones.

There is one thing which I believe was a terrible mistake and that is the widening of the Black Country Route to three lanes should have been on the approach to J10 and not away from it. The rush hour queues there still back up and there are three lanes at the immediate approach to the roundabout so having the three lanes extending further back would provide some useful stacking space.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Gav

Post by Gav »

M6 toll concessions doing the work by any chance ?
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

Completion date extended to winter 2022/2023.
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Gav wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 M6 toll concessions doing the work by any chance ?
They refused to contribute to the M54 link further upstream, so... unlikely!
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

chaseracer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 18:15
Gav wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 M6 toll concessions doing the work by any chance ?
They refused to contribute to the M54 link further upstream, so... unlikely!
I know right! Stupid idiots!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well as the M6 toll is now owned by an Australian investment fund based in Melbourne I cant say I am surprised.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFM_Investors
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 20:07 The main structural work seems to be done now. The only thing I can think of which needs doing is replacing the temporary traffic lights with permanent ones.

There is one thing which I believe was a terrible mistake and that is the widening of the Black Country Route to three lanes should have been on the approach to J10 and not away from it. The rush hour queues there still back up and there are three lanes at the immediate approach to the roundabout so having the three lanes extending further back would provide some useful stacking space.
It is widened on both sides I think.
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

This better come to an end on Friday 3rd February! Only the technology commissioning phase remains after that. I hope it’s completed within winter.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Last year we told you that we’d be opening the new layouts for the junction 10 roundabout, the Black Country Route and Bloxwich Lane junction by the end of January 2023.

Unfortunately, as much of the work at this stage is weather dependant, this has been impacted by the recent severe weather. Unexpected issues have also been encountered with drainage and the installation of telecommunications cables.

We’re now in the final stages and will get the roundabout open to its full capacity during the daytime this spring. This will provide a significant improvement to the previous layout and improve journey times. We’ll complete the remaining work - which includes installing the permanent traffic signals - overnight, when the roads are quieter.

We’re currently assessing our programme of work and will provide an update on the rest of the scheme, including the aesthetic work such as fencing and landscaping, when all lanes on the roundabout are open.

We’re very sorry for the inconvenience this work has caused and appreciate people’s patience while we strive to complete this complex project and tackle congestion at this busy junction.
What a farce.